Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Really Stupid Newbie Question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41

    Really Stupid Newbie Question

    Yes I did search and I did think about this question prior to asking but...

    What is the difference between the Opus 250 W and 150 W (and below) PSU's in terms of size and shape

    Basically, the 150w and smaller ones look like "normal" PSU's in normal office or inhouse computers. The 250w PSU's are pictured as a circuit. I am really confused and not sure why this is. How are where does a 250w power supply fit in an ATX case if it is a circuit board and not in a powersupply box case like all other PSU's/

    sorry if this is a very stupid question but it has been confusing me for a while.

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate kireol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Posts
    89
    I use a DSATX which is similar to an opus 250.

    It works just as a regular PC PS would, except its much smaller, and has extra things inside. startup/shutdown technology, surge protection, etc. It's great for making small custom cases.


    Here's mine. it's the small board. The big one is a regular mother board.



    i've never used an opus 150, but looks as if it may screw into a standard case and replace it.

    I'm also not sure if the opus line is programmable like the DSATX is. but i would assume so.

    as far as where the 250 would go, the same place your old one went. it's just smaller and doesnt have a fan.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41
    I see. Thanks for that response and pics. Rly good job answering my question. Just to confrim... jour DSTAX just goes where your original big PSU would go just without a fan and a box?

  4. #4
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdawg404 View Post
    sorry if this is a very stupid question but it has been confusing me for a while.
    Opus 250w specs at the manufacturer's website: http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=49

    Opus 150w specs at the manufacturer's website: http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=25

    Each lists the PCB dimensions in both English and metric measurements.

    And in that while you could have done some research.

    There are versions of the Opus 150w in a standard ATX PSU size, a Shuttle size, and as a plain circuit board.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate DJiK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles (Winnetka), CA
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    There are versions of the Opus 150w in a standard ATX PSU size, a Shuttle size, and as a plain circuit board.
    Plus, if the size is right, you can always make the DC-DC PSU fit in place of the original AC-DC PSU, like this.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Opus 250w specs at the manufacturer's
    And in that while you could have done some research.
    Yes.... I did do my research. I have already read both of those links. In the event that you actually read my post beyond the first sentence, you would see that your post infact did not answer my question. Being one who has built several desktop PC's, I know that power supplies are typically in silver boxes and have fans. My question was why doesnt the 250 w supply have it and the 150 do. My question was answered in the first post and dwik contributed. Not sure what the purpose in your post was....

  7. #7
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdawg404 View Post
    Yes.... I did do my research. I have already read both of those links. In the event that you actually read my post beyond the first sentence, you would see that your post infact did not answer my question. Being one who has built several desktop PC's, I know that power supplies are typically in silver boxes and have fans. My question was why doesnt the 250 w supply have it and the 150 do. My question was answered in the first post and dwik contributed. Not sure what the purpose in your post was....
    Do you recall this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdawg404 View Post
    What is the difference between the Opus 250 W and 150 W (and below) PSU's in terms of size and shape.
    I remembered it, so I answered that question and pointed you to where you could find the differences in size for teh PCB versions of both products. That way you could compare apples to apples, basically.

    The simple answer to "Why is it a bare circuit board" is a simple matter of mounting flexibility.
    The original Opus PSU was designed to go into an ATX case (or a Shuttle case, if you chose that model). After selling their products for a while, they realized that the majority of these units weren't being used in a case, so they ditched that all together.

    Now, if you don't like pople providing answers that you don't appreciate in a manner that disagrees with you, I suggest not posting on public forums, although I think it's a lot easier to thicken your skin.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    The simple answer to "Why is it a bare circuit board" is a simple matter of mounting flexibility.
    The original Opus PSU was designed to go into an ATX case (or a Shuttle case, if you chose that model). After selling their products for a while, they realized that the majority of these units weren't being used in a case, so they ditched that all together.
    Thanks for answering my question

Similar Threads

  1. Jokes thread
    By Cris in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 223
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 12:24 AM
  2. deluo gps receiver newbie question
    By boomshakala in forum GPS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
  3. Yet Another newbie question :)
    By outdidya in forum Newbie
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
  4. Stupid question about amps
    By Bob0_o in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 08:21 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 06:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •