Almost ready to start project. Have a couple of questions.
I've read through the forum A LOT & have gathered most of the equipment/info I will need to set up the carputer in my RSX:
- Acer Laptop
- Targus Docking Station (DS)
(DS specs: 4-USB ports [2 always powered], 1 video-out, 1 mic, 1 headphone, power button)
- Lilliput 7''
- Kensington 120W DC-DC converter
- Holux GPS reciever
- Griffin powermate
The laptop has two cables going to it:
2) USB cable running to the DS.
Everything else listed here will be connected to the DS. (Sound has not yet been tested)
Last night I tried setting everythig up in my house connected to AC power for now & noticed I had a few of issues I was not able to find an answer to by searching so I'd appreciate any ideas:
1) Lilly Resolution: The lilly is connected to the DS. When I run the lilliput as a "mirror", the resolution cannot change to the recommended 1158x864. Trying to set it to that resolution results in a "over range" message on the lilly. My bios does not have a CRT/LCD option. If however I run the lilly as "external" (i.e. the only monitor) it runs fine. The problem with this is that the laptop lcd goes blank with that option, so what do I do if the lilly dies or if I just want to disconnect the laptop to take it with me? I'd hate to have to keep switching back and forth.
2) Remote power on: Initially I purchased the docking station so that I could wire an external power button to the docking staions power as was done by some members here. The problem with this is that the docking stations power button has absolutely no effect on the laptops power. I'd hate to have to open the laptop to tap into it's own power button or even connect more cables to it for a wake-on-lan option. It would defeat the whole purpose of having an easy-disconnect docking station.
3) Standby: Initially I was planning on using the laptops standby option. I can wake it by pressing any key on the laptops keyboard. I was hoping I could also wake it with the powermate since the docking station provides for a couple of "always on" USB ports. Two problems with this:
a) The USB ports would not be "always on" when installed in the car because I think I should cut power to the docking station when the car shuts off so as to avoid battery drainage. I want to install a USB keyboard eventually too, but this would probably also not work.
b) The powermate doesn't work even with power still going to the DS - or even when it's plugged directly into the laptop. Are there any other ways to wake it by connecting something to the DS?