Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 30yr old Wooden Sliding Window Stuck closed

  1. #1
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049

    30yr old Wooden Sliding Window Stuck closed

    Hey everyone. It is like 18C outside and I want my window open so I go to open it and it is stuck. Not like a little stuck where it moves in the tracks, but all my might (im a pretty big guy) cannot open this window. I have sort of hit the corners with my fist, i've tried to push the window up and move it, and it wont budge.

    Most of what I found online seems to not be for wooden windows. Most refer to wheels or something coming loose. Around here, every window is wood.

    I dont think there is any metal in this window. It is original to the house and the house is like 30 years old. I dont think wd40 would help because it is all wood. If it would help, then I can try it, but something about oil and wood doesnt seem right...

    and I have heard of using some wood to hammer the window but usually that applies to when a window is stuck open. This is stuck shut... I am not really sure how to "unstuck" it without damaging it. Just by eyeballing the frame, it looks level. Meaning, it is not tilted or anything.

    Anyone have a suggestion?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  2. #2
    Unregistered User ODYSSEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC USA CarPC Ver3: [▓▒▒
    Posts
    1,568
    Take a pry bar to the outside of the window.
    ODYSSEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Tidder View Post
    Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
    All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
    Digital-Car UK|

    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  3. #3
    Takes it in the Rear kevinlekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Where the penguins and polar bears live.
    Posts
    687
    Me Big'N'Strong Me break WINDOW! ?


  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate Grrrmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    346
    If you're talking about the standard box sash window, it's probably the temp/humidity change of this time of year, and the frame has swollen a bit. You can either wait, or start prying off the trim around the frame (the part that prevents the moving panel from falling into the room!) From there, get a craft knife and gently slice down the gap between the frame and the window to get it moving. Once it's out, spray with silicone spray, make sure the weights on both sides of the window are still tied, and then like the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal

  5. #5
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Is the outside of the sash painted?

    If so, the paint gets in between the the window frame and sash. When it dries, it's like superglue. You need to scribe it with an exacto knife or something and then work into the sash/frame oopening until it is freed.

    If it's not painted, I'd say you are dealing with the swelling wood issue, as mentioned above.
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  6. #6
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,634
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    Hey everyone. It is like 18C outside and I want my window open so I go to open it and it is stuck. Not like a little stuck where it moves in the tracks, but all my might (im a pretty big guy) cannot open this window. I have sort of hit the corners with my fist, i've tried to push the window up and move it, and it wont budge.

    Most of what I found online seems to not be for wooden windows. Most refer to wheels or something coming loose. Around here, every window is wood.

    I dont think there is any metal in this window. It is original to the house and the house is like 30 years old. I dont think wd40 would help because it is all wood. If it would help, then I can try it, but something about oil and wood doesnt seem right...

    and I have heard of using some wood to hammer the window but usually that applies to when a window is stuck open. This is stuck shut... I am not really sure how to "unstuck" it without damaging it. Just by eyeballing the frame, it looks level. Meaning, it is not tilted or anything.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    If it 18C outside why the hell you want to open the window, that'll let the cold in.



    Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I'd say you are dealing with the swelling wood issue.

    Now that sounds painful.

  7. #7
    FLAC greatwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Top o' the world Ma!
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    If it 18C outside why the hell you want to open the window, that'll let the cold in.



    Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.




    Now that sounds painful.
    18C cold?

    Jeebus man! That's tanning weather in Canada!

    You must be in the UK or jamaica if you think that's cold..............
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate walstib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    362
    Try rubbing a candle inside the tracks. It won't help initially opening it, but the more open it gets, the easier it will slide. Once fully open, rub candle in lower section of track. Open and close a few times to get even coating of wax.

    If you can't get it to move at all, take a block of wood that will fit in sash channel and lightly smack it with a hammer a couple of times on each side.

    Edit: I have heard baby powder will work instead of candle wax, but I have never tried it.
    Carputer Project Status:
    0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
    Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.
    I live in a house made back in 1868

  10. #10
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrrmachine View Post
    If you're talking about the standard box sash window, it's probably the temp/humidity change of this time of year, and the frame has swollen a bit. You can either wait, or start prying off the trim around the frame (the part that prevents the moving panel from falling into the room!) From there, get a craft knife and gently slice down the gap between the frame and the window to get it moving. Once it's out, spray with silicone spray, make sure the weights on both sides of the window are still tied, and then like the Haynes manual says, refit is the reverse of removal
    Well I dont feel like removing trim pieces yet! I guess Ill have to wait... Will a blowdryer or something spped up the process?

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Is the outside of the sash painted?
    Nope. I had read about that too. It is original paint. So actually it is painted, but not recently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    If it 18C outside why the hell you want to open the window, that'll let the cold in.
    I live in the cold! I want it cold inside! Over the summer I put tin foil over the window to keep the sun out! We are supposed to get our first snow tomorrow.


    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Oh and only an american/canadian could infer that a 30 year old house is old. We would consider that a new homw over here.
    You probably live in a house older than either country over here is!

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    18C cold?

    Jeebus man! That's tanning weather in Canada!

    You must be in the UK or jamaica if you think that's cold..............


    Quote Originally Posted by walstib View Post
    Try rubbing a candle inside the tracks. It won't help initially opening it, but the more open it gets, the easier it will slide. Once fully open, rub candle in lower section of track. Open and close a few times to get even coating of wax.

    If you can't get it to move at all, take a block of wood that will fit in sash channel and lightly smack it with a hammer a couple of times on each side.

    Edit: I have heard baby powder will work instead of candle wax, but I have never tried it.
    Ill try that once i get it opened.

    Thanks for the tips.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Onscreen keyboard
    By gti in forum Map Monkey
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 11:00 PM
  2. Alpine City Cruise
    By Hell-Stopper in forum RR Skins
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 11:05 PM
  3. iGuidance 2.x auto-run shortcut
    By ziggyrama in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 07:05 PM
  4. How to embbed any Application in RR ?
    By guino in forum RR FAQ
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •