I don't know if their computers are better or not, but I would like to think that Apple will gain in popularity. Everybody loves iPods, iTunes, iPhone, iStore, it's hard to think that their computers will not grow in market share. Also, I love their marketing strategy. If you see a laptop in a movie, 90% of the time, it is a Mac. The other 10% is a Sony Vaio.
If they could lower their prices, I would think they would be serious competitors in the laptop industry. I might even consider one for my next laptop! Right now, I've got a Gateway.