Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: DVD copying & fair use

  1. #11
    Variable Bitrate 84RegalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    427
    yea telling me its illegal to take apart and mod something of mine is what ****es me off. I could understand if it harms someone else.Like hackin fm transmitters. But that i cant mod a ps2 or xbox.
    what bs
    Core duo
    1tb harddrive
    256 ddr
    8 lilliput
    bu-353

    still installing...

  2. #12
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by 84RegalRider
    yea telling me its illegal to take apart and mod something of mine is what ****es me off. I could understand if it harms someone else.Like hackin fm transmitters. But that i cant mod a ps2 or xbox.
    what bs
    I think Xbox mod chips are still legal - it depends on how you use it
    - becaue it can have a legal use, Like Linux - PS2 mod chip is a little
    different it can only be used for stealing games - I guess you could
    say for playing backups of games you own, plus sony sells a linux kit
    for the PS2 so its a gray area

    My mod chip uses a linux based bios/os

    Modchip From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Attack of the Mod Squads

  3. #13
    Maximum Bitrate v8 scimitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    743
    Just to clear up what mbayers has said.
    In a lot of cases you havent bought and dont own anything. All you have done is bought the right to use something. This doesnt really apply to harware so much although it can in some cases. Software has been like this for years and so is DVD video. Any comercial software on the market's TOU almost always states this as well as forbidding decompiling and reverse engineering. It sucks big time especially with DVD (why shouldnt I be able to make a DIVX copy to play on a portable player) but if you read the small print thats what you handed the money over for and nothing else.

  4. #14
    Low Bitrate mbayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 84RegalRider
    yea telling me its illegal to take apart and mod something of mine is what ****es me off. I could understand if it harms someone else.Like hackin fm transmitters. But that i cant mod a ps2 or xbox.
    what bs
    You can mod your Xbox. Add a toaster to it. Paint it pink. Whatever. It's not ALL modding that causes a problem. However, if you break the protection around a copyrighted portion of the device, you may then run afoul of the DMCA.

    MBA
    2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
    CarPC Status: As of 03 Jan., 2006 - installed & running!

    Epia MII-10000
    512 MB RAM
    Lilliput 7" LCD
    Toshiba 40GB HDD
    Panasonic Slim slot-loading DVD
    Holux GPS w/ iGuidance
    XM PCR
    RoadRunner

  5. #15
    Low Bitrate mbayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by v8 scimitar
    Just to clear up what mbayers has said.
    In a lot of cases you havent bought and dont own anything. All you have done is bought the right to use something. This doesnt really apply to harware so much although it can in some cases. Software has been like this for years and so is DVD video. Any comercial software on the market's TOU almost always states this as well as forbidding decompiling and reverse engineering. It sucks big time especially with DVD (why shouldnt I be able to make a DIVX copy to play on a portable player) but if you read the small print thats what you handed the money over for and nothing else.

    Exactly right. I really think a lot of the issues around copy protection coudl be addressed by the power of the wallet, rather than by the power of the hack. Rather than pointing to all the ways that copy protection can be broken and claiming that this justifies not having it at all, why not merely choose to not buy such products, and make sure the studios are aware of it? My recollection is that this was rather effective many years ago when many software vendors were selling their applications with required security dongles and so forth. People thought the restrictions were too inconvenient, and would rather do without than deal with them. Software vendors changed their practices.

    MBA
    2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
    CarPC Status: As of 03 Jan., 2006 - installed & running!

    Epia MII-10000
    512 MB RAM
    Lilliput 7" LCD
    Toshiba 40GB HDD
    Panasonic Slim slot-loading DVD
    Holux GPS w/ iGuidance
    XM PCR
    RoadRunner

  6. #16
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by mbayers
    Exactly right. I really think a lot of the issues around copy protection coudl be addressed by the power of the wallet, rather than by the power of the hack. Rather than pointing to all the ways that copy protection can be broken and claiming that this justifies not having it at all, why not merely choose to not buy such products, and make sure the studios are aware of it? My recollection is that this was rather effective many years ago when many software vendors were selling their applications with required security dongles and so forth. People thought the restrictions were too inconvenient, and would rather do without than deal with them. Software vendors changed their practices.

    MBA
    Thats what I think DRM is going to do - kill Hollywood and may be
    even Microsoft , I made my own video projector and PVR ,
    So I may be able to hold off that DRM crap for years, well, untill
    the parts I used wear out, or they change formats - I will buy
    extra parts

    But, I will find a way around it

  7. #17
    FLAC migel628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks for all the input, obviously this is a hotly debated topic, that's what made it stand out. mbayers, I will definitely take you up on your offer to talk on this topic once I get a little deeper into it. Thanks
    "I'm a dick!"
    "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

  8. #18
    FLAC migel628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    1,114
    I figured I'd revive this topic w/ an update. Currently, I have broadened the topic to Copy Protection. My thesis right now is:

    Copy Protection of Digital Content:
    The stepping stone to striping consumers of their rights

    I've done a bit of research on this, so it's coming along. The paper is due in May, so once it's done, I'll have to post it...Anyway, if anyone has anything to add to aid in my copy protection research, then feel free to comment. Thanks
    "I'm a dick!"
    "I must seek knowledge and it's bastard son truth" - The State

  9. #19
    Low Bitrate mbayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by migel628
    I figured I'd revive this topic w/ an update. Currently, I have broadened the topic to Copy Protection. My thesis right now is:

    Copy Protection of Digital Content:
    The stepping stone to striping consumers of their rights

    .....

    You might want to be careful about the factual basis of your approach. Those who criticize copy protection often invoke "rights" which just plain don't exist. For instance, fair use itself is often mistakenly referred to as a "right". It is not. It is a legal defense to a claim of copyright infringement. If it were a "right", copyright owners would be required to enable such activities. They are not. In fact, the DMCA clearly trumps fair use.

    I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just telling you how it is.

    Let me know when you want to talk about this.

    MBA
    2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
    CarPC Status: As of 03 Jan., 2006 - installed & running!

    Epia MII-10000
    512 MB RAM
    Lilliput 7" LCD
    Toshiba 40GB HDD
    Panasonic Slim slot-loading DVD
    Holux GPS w/ iGuidance
    XM PCR
    RoadRunner

  10. #20
    Variable Bitrate roadhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    291
    @ mbayers
    How international is your law knowledge, specifically regarding the UK? It all sounds logical though.

    I totally agree on spending power being the most effective way to discourage further erosion of fair use practise. Unfortunately public knowledge is lacking on issues such as root kits and cactus protection. Until the average buyer is enabled to make an educated decision on their purchase, aggressive copyright protection schemes will continue.

    On a side note, I believe Microsoft is trying to distance itself from DRM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slim DVD & IDE to USB - DVD QLTY
    By ZimZimmer in forum Newbie
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
  2. House dvd player in the car & Innotek ebay screen? hmm
    By thesupe87 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
  3. HELP with DVD Overhead Fabrication & Mounting!
    By Man Ace in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
  4. Bug Reports
    By frodobaggins in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 168
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 12:25 AM
  5. copying dvd movies?
    By kardas in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2002, 08:50 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •