Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: 650W PSU blew up my dual XEON setup

  1. #11
    FLAC bosstone74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Japan, Oregon
    Posts
    1,180
    insurance?
    BossTone74

  2. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    ATRIX EXTREME POWER 500T
    650 Watt Black Silent PSU 12cm Fan SATA 12v Rails

    This is the crap that did it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #13
    MySQL Error Scouse Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    9,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    You may find it funny now but I doubt you be pleased if this same **** happens to you.

    **** FACE
    fat ****!

  4. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    No insurance here

    I dont know how the warranty gonna work on PSU blowing PCs or if they can be held liable for damages. Most of the parts are out of warranty as it came from my old server.

    I had the PSU for some weeks now, and the seller wont accept anything when its over 14 days. The PSU does have a warranty but the problem is I have already opened it

    Im basically ****ed.

    I have emailed supermicro RMA dept. They asked me to contact the retailers, told them I dont have any infos as the systemboard is 2nd hand orignally bought back in nov 2005 so it should still be under warranty. Im still waiting for the reply.

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Monkey
    fat ****!
    Fatso

  6. #16
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    Systemboard £250 DEAD
    3GHz XEON 2MB £250 Untested
    3GHz XEON 2MB £250 Untested
    512MB DDR2 PC3200 £50 Untested
    512MB DDR2 PC3200 £50 Untested

    Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A £250 DEAD
    Adaptec 2 Port USB 2 Card £30 OK
    Creative Audigy 2 SE £35 DEAD

    120GB IDE £70 OK
    120GB IDE £70 DEAD
    120GB IDE £70 DEAD
    120GB IDE £70 DEAD
    120GB IDE £70 DEAD

    DVD Writer £50 OK
    CDROM £20 DEAD
    FDD £10 OK

    CPU Fan £15 Untested
    CPU Fan £15 Untested

    PSU £40 DEAD

    1.) That is what you get for buying such a crappy PSU, non-name brand. I bought a Powmax, same thing happened to me. PCP&C > OCZ > All. Also OCZ has a lifetime warranty.
    2.) Why are you paying $130USD for 120GB HDs? I just picked up 2 160GB HDs for $50 each.
    3.) Why $500USD for a pretty featureless MB?

  7. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman100
    1.) That is what you get for buying such a crappy PSU, non-name brand. I bought a Powmax, same thing happened to me. PCP&C > OCZ > All. Also OCZ has a lifetime warranty.
    2.) Why are you paying $130USD for 120GB HDs? I just picked up 2 160GB HDs for $50 each.
    3.) Why $500USD for a pretty featureless MB?
    Thats how it is in UK everything is expensive, we just put a £ sign in front of the $.

    1) Didnt realised they are crappy, I seen them reviewed and it appears to be a reasonable PSU. I guess I just got unlucky, that could have been the most expensive PSU on the planet but if theres a fault then it could still do some crap. First time I had a cheap PSU doing crap on me.

    2) I did pay about that much for it a year or so ago. It came out of my old server.

    3) Yes supermicro cost around that much for a dual CPU board. But I didnt pay the full price as it was used. The guy I bought it from bought it back in Nov 2005 for about £275 ($500). I have checked the price and it is about right. I know cause my old server is running a supermicro dual P3 and I paid about £260 for it.

    Recommend me a good reliable dual xeon board? Not really concern about features or speed as long as it have a good track record for reliability. What brand of PSU are you using, OCZ? Did you get any replacement on the blown parts caused by that cheap PSU?

  8. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,736
    Cheapest current price I can find on ebay at £61.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/120GB-8MB-CACH...QQcmdZViewItem

    Highstreet prices are most likely a little bit more.


    ...I wont be buying the same 120GB capacity as I can get a bigger one for less. I guess the 120GB have more platters and therefore expensive to make...dunno.

  9. #19
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    Thats how it is in UK everything is expensive, we just put a sign in front of the $.

    1) Didnt realised they are crappy, I seen them reviewed and it appears to be a reasonable PSU. I guess I just got unlucky, that could have been the most expensive PSU on the planet but if theres a fault then it could still do some crap. First time I had a cheap PSU doing crap on me.

    2) I did pay about that much for it a year or so ago. It came out of my old server.

    3) Yes supermicro cost around that much for a dual CPU board. But I didnt pay the full price as it was used. The guy I bought it from bought it back in Nov 2005 for about 275 ($500). I have checked the price and it is about right. I know cause my old server is running a supermicro dual P3 and I paid about 260 for it.

    Recommend me a good reliable dual xeon board? Not really concern about features or speed as long as it have a good track record for reliability. What brand of PSU are you using, OCZ? Did you get any replacement on the blown parts caused by that cheap PSU?



    check out www.2cpu.com, post ther for any questions.

    I'd be happy to buy drives for you and mail them, I am positive it will be signifigantly cheaper.

    I like my PC-DL. There are several variations, depending on the core of your processors, (Prestonia/Nocona)

    My setup's cost, in USD:

    Asus PC-DL $130 (used)
    2x1.6Ghz LV Prestonia Xeons, overclocked to 3.0 each $100 for the pair
    2x512MB Ram - $90
    4x $160 GB drives - $200 for the set of 4
    OCZ 520w PSU - $100
    + $100 in watercooling

    = $720.

    There's a thread here in Off-Topic on my setup.

    And no, Powmax did not pay for replacing anything when that PSU failed...they didn't even warranty their own product.

    Also, as far as PSU reviews, reviews are a dime a dozen. Be sure to look into how they load test the PSU - a review on the flashy lights dows nothing. I know for a fact that my OCZ PSU has been load tested ok to over 700w, and it's only rated at 520.

    Let me know if you need me to buy anything and ship to you, I'd be happy to help out another dual user

  10. #20
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris31
    Cheapest current price I can find on ebay at 61.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/120GB-8MB-CACH...QQcmdZViewItem

    Highstreet prices are most likely a little bit more.


    ...I wont be buying the same 120GB capacity as I can get a bigger one for less. I guess the 120GB have more platters and therefore expensive to make...dunno.
    29:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maxtor-120GB-D...QQcmdZViewItem

    more:

    http://search.ebay.co.uk/120GB_W0QQc...csZ2QQsbrsrtZl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Frequently Asked Questions
    By bgoodman in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
  2. WTT: Dual AMD Server for your Carputer setup
    By DaMaN in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
  3. What to look for in a PSU some info for you
    By cproaudio in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 01:07 AM
  4. WTB: DC Psu and IDE/Firewire Setup
    By claylong in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2002, 07:11 PM
  5. PSU blew
    By ppgt94 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2001, 01:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •