Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Media center computer resources?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    311

    Media center computer resources?

    Despite my carputer being under the weather (m2-atx died.......again), I was thinking of making a media center computer out of an old Athlon Thunderbird board I have. Problem is, I dont really like XP MCE's menuing, and want something more custom. I also want to rip my DVD collection so I dont have to swap discs (something Microsoft frowns upon). Anybody else tackle a similar project? Any good resources you've found (frontends, utils)? Feel free to post your setup. Or hell, if you've achieved good DVD/mp3/game launching in your carputer, post that as well!
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate P3rv3rt B3ar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Funland
    Posts
    577
    XLobby

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    how is it compared to - mediacenter, roadrunner, stuff like that
    in ease of setup

    looks good tho

  4. #4
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by rsd212 View Post
    Despite my carputer being under the weather (m2-atx died.......again), I was thinking of making a media center computer out of an old Athlon Thunderbird board I have. Problem is, I dont really like XP MCE's menuing, and want something more custom. I also want to rip my DVD collection so I dont have to swap discs (something Microsoft frowns upon). Anybody else tackle a similar project? Any good resources you've found (frontends, utils)? Feel free to post your setup. Or hell, if you've achieved good DVD/mp3/game launching in your carputer, post that as well!
    I don't think MCE would run well on a Thunderbird.....

    It's too slow, afaik...

    Peace,

    Rafster

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafster View Post
    I don't think MCE would run well on a Thunderbird.....

    It's too slow, afaik...

    Peace,

    Rafster
    well the OS part is fast - I installed Media center on a P3 600mhz
    system - it booted fast and ran good - but the media center stuff
    was useless - the main reason was the laptops video card

    if you had a DX9 video card with lots of mem - it might be ok

    I installed it on a AMD XP system with a geforce 4 - the media
    center stuff would not work - not a true DX9 card - I was able
    to hack it - to force it to use the video card - but it was crap

    I did put it on a system with all the right stuff - and
    because I have Dish not cable, plus local TV from the
    antenna out side and Vcr , I was not able to select
    what input, I was stuck with just one -
    but my WinFast TV2000XP has no problem with any
    thing I want, so I scraped media center and its tv tuner
    went back to just plain Windows XP and my TV2000XP
    and its PVR software


    but yea - I dont like media center and its lack of tv tuner
    support and control

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate P3rv3rt B3ar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Funland
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
    how is it compared to - mediacenter, roadrunner, stuff like that
    in ease of setup

    looks good tho
    Its very customizable... so to make it exactly like u want is hard work... but if u r happy with most common functionality i suppose it can be pretty much run out of the box...

    It compares to MCE, like photoshop to paint...

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by will1384 View Post
    well the OS part is fast - I installed Media center on a P3 600mhz
    system - it booted fast and ran good - but the media center stuff
    was useless - the main reason was the laptops video card

    if you had a DX9 video card with lots of mem - it might be ok

    I installed it on a AMD XP system with a geforce 4 - the media
    center stuff would not work - not a true DX9 card - I was able
    to hack it - to force it to use the video card - but it was crap
    I'll be using a 1.3ghz Athlon with a GeForce 2. What exactly runs slow? The recording functions? I know it can run DivX and DVDs at full speed with regular XP. I actually dont have cable, so wasnt going to use a tuner for now and dont need recording capabilities, just playback.

    XLobby is looking good, just hope that it organizes like I want. Not too keen on the album cover browsing scheme, I'll use playlists a lot for both audio and video.
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate will1384's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Jefferson, AR U.S.A
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by rsd212 View Post
    I'll be using a 1.3ghz Athlon with a GeForce 2. What exactly runs slow? The recording functions? I know it can run DivX and DVDs at full speed with regular XP. I actually dont have cable, so wasnt going to use a tuner for now and dont need recording capabilities, just playback.

    XLobby is looking good, just hope that it organizes like I want. Not too keen on the album cover browsing scheme, I'll use playlists a lot for both audio and video.


    a GeForce 2 wont work with media center - or what I should say is
    the media center part, it will work with the OS - you need a DX9 video
    card - other than that your system should run fine

    It has to be "DirectX 9 capable with at least 128 MB"

    GeForce FX or higher
    Radeon 9500+ or higher
    -copy from and old list-, and my guess is that new-er
    cards are DX9

Similar Threads

  1. Windows XP Media Center 2005 Video
    By n33d45p33d in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
  2. fs: ibm thinkpad t-30 w/ media center
    By Kizzao in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 01:22 AM
  3. Windows Vista W/nView!
    By 97GST in forum Operating System Optimization
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 09:46 PM
  4. neocar media center 0.7 alpha.1c [DOWNLOAD]
    By netsuo in forum NeoCar Media Center
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
  5. neocar media center EN version, here it is :)
    By netsuo in forum NeoCar Media Center
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •