Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Using an isolated dll

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    809

    Using an isolated dll

    For my skype plugin I use a skype4com.dll. It has to be a specific version to ensure the code works properly.

    I check for the correct version and out put an error if its wrong but what I'd really like to do is isolate the dll to my plugin. Will OM handle this as I understand it requires special stuff in a manifest (as you can tell I'm no expert).

    The advantages of this is I am in complete control of what version of this dll is being used and I dont mess up the users installed version by overwritting his dll with a different one.

    So does OM handle isolated dll's? If not would it be possible?

  2. #2
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by lambosprit View Post
    For my skype plugin I use a skype4com.dll. It has to be a specific version to ensure the code works properly.

    I check for the correct version and out put an error if its wrong but what I'd really like to do is isolate the dll to my plugin. Will OM handle this as I understand it requires special stuff in a manifest (as you can tell I'm no expert).

    The advantages of this is I am in complete control of what version of this dll is being used and I dont mess up the users installed version by overwritting his dll with a different one.

    So does OM handle isolated dll's? If not would it be possible?
    Your terminology is a little off so im gonna take a guess here.... but basically only install the dll if it doesn't exist or is a newer version then what the user has installed? thats two clicks with open installer

    you can also set the reference to match a specific version in your project and fail if its not found, that doesn't require anything with the manifest just ticking a checkbox

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    lambosprit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    Your terminology is a little off so im gonna take a guess here....
    I'm not surprised as I learn everything from google. No formal training in IT

    but basically only install the dll if it doesn't exist or is a newer version then what the user has installed? thats two clicks with open installer
    Thats what I usually end up doing but it can mess up a users install of Skype

    you can also set the reference to match a specific version in your project and fail if its not found, that doesn't require anything with the manifest just ticking a checkbox
    I'm refering to the properties of a reference. If I select the dll reference then i see a property called isolated. If I set it to true it allows me to reference a "local" copy of the dll without registering it and without affecting any other installation. I found out about all this from Skype where they said using isolated was "best practice".

  4. #4
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    2,359
    Quote Originally Posted by lambosprit View Post
    I'm not surprised as I learn everything from google. No formal training in IT
    Thats what I usually end up doing but it can mess up a users install of Skype

    I'm refering to the properties of a reference. If I select the dll reference then i see a property called isolated. If I set it to true it allows me to reference a "local" copy of the dll without registering it and without affecting any other installation. I found out about all this from Skype where they said using isolated was "best practice".
    Ahh...ok i see what your going for. Replacing a dll with a newer dll will break the application itself (as some functions may have changed).

    For what your trying to do:
    Add the dll to openinstaller with a destination path something like "%pluginpath%/OMSkype/skype4com.dll" set the flags to Install if newer version and Register DLL
    Then when you reference that dll OM will find it, link it to your plugin, and you don't have to worry about installing the wrong one. Also, make sure Specific Version is set to true in your references list so that your plugin will only reference that version (probably not needed but a good just in case).

    edit:
    And on second though, you may need to compile against om 0.9 to get it to find the DLL in a subdirectory. For 0.8 it will need to be in %pluginpath%

Similar Threads

  1. Updating Labels from a DLL
    By rodweb in forum RR Plugins
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
  2. pc reboot on sd startup
    By duanes7 in forum StreetDeck
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  3. Calling C# or VB6 DLL from RR
    By Evolution VIII in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 02:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •