Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: skinning....I am missing a step?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12

    skinning....I am missing a step?

    Hi,

    I have the skin editor, and this seems relatively straight forward, what I dont understand is how to set the functions for buttons.

    Lets say I use the default screen when you open the skin editor, how do I tell the skin that it is the home skin, and when I press the media button it should load another skin called media, and when that is loaded how do I tell it that play should play, and stop should stop, and the progress bar should move?????

    Photoshop I can do, and if you want some very graphical skins then I can help, but I need some help understanding how to turn a photoshop layout, into a functioning skin.

    Thanks

    Andy

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    The skin editor is not updated to the current version of OM. The development for OM went to fast ahead to keep ut with all the features in the skin editor, and we wanted to keep focus on the main application rather than the skinning part.

    To skin OM in the current state you have to download the source (from surceforge) for the plugins and modify the code using visual studio (c#), there's a few sample plugins that should get you going if you're used to programming.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Borte View Post
    To skin OM in the current state you have to download the source (from surceforge) for the plugins and modify the code using visual studio (c#), there's a few sample plugins that should get you going if you're used to programming.
    And there lies my problem, I have only really done some VB work in Excel Macros. Are there any tutorials you would recommend that are 'related' to OM or plugin building/skinning?

    I will try and get my first (incomplete) photoshop layout online shortly, just so you can see what I am doing.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12
    As promised, quick screenshot of an 'in progress' layout.

    Last edited by digitalfriction; 03-24-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: url was wrong

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfriction View Post
    And there lies my problem, I have only really done some VB work in Excel Macros. Are there any tutorials you would recommend that are 'related' to OM or plugin building/skinning?
    Building a full skin can be a big a task, especially if you're not used to C# programming. But I'f you want to have a go at an easy plugin (than can later be set as you main screen) grab a copy of visual studio and get the plugin sample (from here: http://openmobile.svn.sourceforge.ne...MPluginSample/), then use the main menu plugin found here: http://openmobile.svn.sourceforge.ne...gins/MainMenu/ as an sample to create your layout. If you look at the samples it should'nt be to hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfriction View Post
    As promised, quick screenshot of an 'in progress' layout.
    Nice layout! love your graphics!
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    366
    As a general rule, programmers aren't graphic designers, and graphic designers aren't programmers. Requiring graphic designers to learn C# to program a new skin is a bit much. But I understand a skin editor is in the works, so that should help graphic designers make good looking skins for OM.

    In the meantime, post your graphics (preferably already sliced up), and a programmer or two here will most likely help out with the programming.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    As a general rule, programmers aren't graphic designers, and graphic designers aren't programmers. Requiring graphic designers to learn C# to program a new skin is a bit much. But I understand a skin editor is in the works, so that should help graphic designers make good looking skins for OM.
    True! It's a rare combination finding someone doing both. The skin editor is in the works but as mentioned focus was moved towards the main app so there's no timeframe for it yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    In the meantime, post your graphics (preferably already sliced up), and a programmer or two here will most likely help out with the programming.
    That would be a good start then someone experienced in C# could jump aboard and help out.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
  2. step 1 bondo, step 2 ? ,step 3 profit
    By microbionic in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 07:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •