We are proud to announce the release of openMobile 0.8 Beta.
- [Download Link]
- [Downloading and Installing Basics]
- [Setup Basics]
- [Known Issues]
- [Frequently Asked Questions]
Important Note: Please completely remove prior versions of openMobile before installing 0.8
New Core Features:
- Fully Hardware Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL)
- A brand new graphics engine (codenamed: green nitrous)
- Adaptive Framerate Technology (unique to openMobile) keeps CPU usage nice and low
- New Sensors Framework
- Haptic Feedback Support
- New plugin security and secure storage frameworks
- New cross-platform font system
- New devices framework
- Even better support for Linux and non-standard CPU architectures
- Brand new fully functional Linux HAL
- Brand new priority based window manager
- Dozens of optimizations
- Hundreds of bugfixes
Cool New Plugins:
- iPod Support
- UAS4 Plugin
- Serial Amp Control
- Email data provider (supports sending/receiving though any protocol)
- OMLinPlayer - linux media player support (part of the OMPlayer package)
- LinWifi - Linux wifi support (part of the WifiSupport package)
- System Sensors
- GPS Sensor
If you like what you see, a donation helps build even better features and even more plugins:
All donations are kept in-project to further development.
great!! now i am just waiting on ws6verts skin...
My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
"The Project That Never Ended, until it did"
next project? subaru brz
Wow, this looks great coming from a slow, laggy attempt at using CF on an atom, and then being overwhelmed by the monumental commitment it would take to even attempt to switch to RR and get it customized to my liking. From the video, this looks like exactly what I need, and hopefully its open source nature will keep it from meeting the same fate as so many other frontends. Great work, gentlemen - I will give this a spin!
OMG! Significant improvements over 0.7! Noticeable graphics speed even on my little old 1.6ghz Atom. Glad to see the clock. And even GMPC is "usable" as embedded NAV where before it was not.
Although I still do not know why my line-in is not recaptured after resume from hibernate, nor do I know how to play whole music library (random or otherwise), there will definitely be a donation this week!
To play your entite music library, open up the media panel and just press the play button on the right. That will load every song by every artist. If you have random selected, it will play them randomly.
Not to rain on the parade...
But I have some issues when running this on Linux (not ubuntu 10.10 as suggested).
1. The installer allows for placing the openMobile folder anywhere the user has write permissions too, the desktop file still looks for the executable at /opt/openmobile/
2. need to ask for su to write to /usr/share/applications (permissions on that folder for both meego and mandrake is r-x for user)
3. The installation says completed, however, it hangs for a long time trying to reexecute the install script out of the /opt/openmobile directory
4. On both meego and mandriva the program fails to actually start... I have the svn version on the mandriva box and it does run.
For the rest of the issues though, yes the installer requires su, just like any installation or administrative action does on any linux platform. Once running as root and installing in the default directory you will find the rest of the installation succeeds and then the application will run correctly.
Following you notes, OM does indeed install without issue (using only default plugins & skins). However, the app still fails to start. I have attached a log file of what OM puts out when I try and run it.