Interesting discover - or too Obvious?
I thought I would share this in case anyone in the future comes across the same thing and searches the forum for answers.
For a little while now, at least with OM 0.8, I found that every so often a music track would stop at the end of a song, remaining in the Now Playing banner at t the top. I was forced to advance it to the next song manually. Every so often the banner was actually blank.
This puzzled me, as I did not notice if it was the same set of songs or not, as I play my entire collection in shuffle mode.
As it happens, I use TVersity in my home to serve my movies and music to other clients in the house. This weekend I added my music library. TVersity would stop/quit while indexing the collection. Removing songs that stopped it would find even more.
Now I'm getting irritated at this point. The songs would play in other players (WMP, iTunes, Media Player Classic).
I decided that somehow these files may be corrupt in some fashion. So I downloaded MP3TAG as it can re-write files. And while I was in there I would complete more of the tag info and add some missing cover art.
Well, after forcing re-write of the files, lo-and-behold TVersity would index the entire collection. Beautiful. So time to erase and re-load the library into the car and delete the database and config files.
OM still had some problems, but this time telling me a particular song failed. But, after I exited OM and restarted it (re-index at every start) the problems started to disappear. That is to say, it was like OM corrected a bad item or marked it as bad. I have yet to check if it now ignores that song file altogether somehow. I suppose I can again delete the database to see if that is the case, but I'm sure the devs will step up and offer some explanations of what I encountered. Otherwise, at this point, the collection plays fine. Even the crackle/pop between "some" songs has gone.
So my conclusion is that quite a few of my songs had damaged ID3 tag info in them and the re-write fixed them up.