Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: We need YOUR input

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate jmullan99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Posts
    682

    We need YOUR input

    We are reaching out to you, our loyal followers, to help guide the layout of the upcoming media player.

    The guts are pretty much there. But we want to know particular operational functions, layout, etc. that you envision for a media player.

    For an example, I suggested that even in shuffle/random mode (for MP3 file play) the media player should remember the last 20 tracks played so I can still "go back" one or more tracks to hear something I want to hear again.

    So let's hear it folks.

    The Team
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    I personally really liked how the early centrafuse (3.5) would have music on the go stored, so you could make your own 10 or 50 digital disc changer/album/playlist now playing list, and flick between them at will whilst still remembering your location in each without having to choose the same lot of albums or playlists. They removed it strangely.

    I would set that up as a playlist of my favourite songs from each genre, and have each genre on the go ready to change at will.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate jmullan99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by chug1 View Post
    I personally really liked how the early centrafuse (3.5) would have music on the go stored, so you could make your own 10 or 50 digital disc changer/album/playlist now playing list, and flick between them at will whilst still remembering your location in each without having to choose the same lot of albums or playlists. They removed it strangely.

    I would set that up as a playlist of my favourite songs from each genre, and have each genre on the go ready to change at will.
    I am not personally familiar with CentraFuse, but if I understand you correctly, basically each saved playlist would remember where it left off, and you can switch between lists at will.

    We have been doing a Coverflow style interface. So swiping left/right to change playlists wouldn't work. Perhaps up/down scrolling.

    When you change playlists, should it automatically continue playing where it left off, if you are already in PLAY mode?

    John
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

  4. #4
    FLAC PhilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    982
    Nobody did it better than Music Match & Version 7 was the best.

    You could change the headings in the library, I always ran genre first as I'm seldom interested in listening to full albums. Genre helped breakup a long list of 100's of artists.

    I liked how all columns were compressed until you touched the "+" beside the left hand column to open it. I then had it then sorted by artist by touching the artist heading at the top. It would remember this preference each time I opened it. Clicking on a track would automatically cue it at the end of the playlist which was up in the top right.

    Album art, if available, shows where the white box is. One touch of the "clear" button below the playlist window and you could start all over again.

    The only thing I would maybe do different is add a search line between the player/playlist window at the top and the library at the bottom, just like winamp does.

    This player was so simple to use and 10K+ songs were so easy to find one at a time and cue up.

    If it was deemed that all of this couldn't fit comfortably on a 7" screen then there could be 2 buttons on the FE's main menu, maybe "Library" & "Player". Touching "Library would take you to a screen full of just the bottom section, when you touched a track to add, maybe it would flash to the player/playlist window for a second then back to confirm or just a "song added" popup. You could have a "done" button, when selected, took you to the player/playlist screen and a Library button on that screen that brought you back.

    Too easy!

    Name:  dxi4.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  150.9 KB
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Grandville, MI
    Posts
    602
    Actually philG that interface looks nice. Maybe have the top portion be the main screen and swipe up to get access to the library and a button to pop it back down. (Since a down swipe is the notifications bar.)

    I agree that this would be cool.

    Rodney

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by jmullan99 View Post
    We have been doing a Coverflow style interface. So swiping left/right to change playlists wouldn't work. Perhaps up/down scrolling.
    John
    This is not quite true. You could have each playlist represented by an image built up of covers from the playlist along with a playlist name, these items could then be used inside the coverflow to flip between the different playlist with a left/right swipe.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
    Nobody did it better than Music Match & Version 7 was the best.

    You could change the headings in the library, I always ran genre first as I'm seldom interested in listening to full albums. Genre helped breakup a long list of 100's of artists.

    I liked how all columns were compressed until you touched the "+" beside the left hand column to open it. I then had it then sorted by artist by touching the artist heading at the top. It would remember this preference each time I opened it. Clicking on a track would automatically cue it at the end of the playlist which was up in the top right.
    This is a screenshot of OM's current music browser:
    Name:  Capture_MediaBrowser5s.png
Views: 191
Size:  247.6 KB
    This is setup in such a way that it starts of in Artist mode where it shows info about albums per artist then by clicking one of the artists it takes you to a list of all the albums of the selected artist. Clicking further will get you down to song level. By holding your finger over any of the items at any level you'll add all sub-items to the current playlist.

    Also by typing in the "enter filter text here" field it will filter the list to any hits matching the entered text so finding items is quick and easy.

    Is this a similar approach to what you just described?
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadedrod View Post
    (Since a down swipe is the notifications bar.)
    Down swipe will only activate the notification bar if it's done from the bar itself. A downswipe in the middle of the screen will not trigger the notification bar.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    36
    Hi guys,

    First up I think the ideas in posts 1 and 2 are good ones. I like the idea of place markers in playlists and for me in real world use it would work.
    Only thing I would add to this discussion is a convenient "thumbs down" button.

    You know, I've ripped my cd collection - accumulated over 20 odd years to mp3 which I did pretty much as an automated process. Sometimes I also get a new album to try out which I'd just through in the car and have a listen to on the road (generally the only time these days I have to listen to music). Sadly, sometimes you're confronted with ****e and there's no getting around it. IMO, like a bad pick-up - evidence should be removed so you're never tempted to try it ever again. So, ears bleed - press "thumbs down" - offending song forever excluded (even in random play). I suppose you could fade the song out of the list and opt to toggle it back in/out.
    Last edited by mspw; 02-01-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: typo

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate Borte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by mspw View Post
    Hi guys,

    First up I think the ideas in posts 1 and 2 are good ones. I like the idea of place markers in playlists and for me in real world use it would work.
    Only thing I would add to this discussion is a convenient "thumbs down" button.

    You know, I've ripped my cd collection - accumulated over 20 odd years to mp3 which I did pretty much as an automated process. Sometimes I also get a new album to try out which I'd just through in the car and have a listen to on the road (generally the only time these days I have to listen to music). Sadly, sometimes you're confronted with ****e and there's no getting around it. IMO, like a bad pick-up - evidence should be removed so you're never tempted to try it ever again. So, ears bleed - press "thumbs down" - offending song forever excluded (even in random play). I suppose you could fade the song out of the list and opt to toggle it back in/out.
    Basically you're looking for a "rating" system? Where you could vote a song up/down and it would be repeated based on that. This could even be extended to a "never play again rating", like you mentioned.
    Failure is not an option...
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    The only full multizone / multiscreen cross platform open source Front End -> OpenMobile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
  3. Input Input Input Show Me Your Devices!
    By SjLucky in forum Input Devices
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 03:27 AM
  4. Aux-input/FM mod/Ipod/general Input question.
    By danielsaylor22 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 09:30 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2002, 08:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •