Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Win7 32bit or 64bit?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate checksum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbia/MD
    Posts
    260

    Win7 32bit or 64bit?

    Hello,

    I have a 64 bit processor and was wondering if I should install windows 7 32bit or 64bit. Would it make a difference in a carputer environment?
    2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
    2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

  2. #2
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    generally, 64bit is not good for carputing because most home-brew apps and plugins that you are likely to use will only work in 32bit. pretty much the same reason that, at least right now, its still best to use winxp over vista or 7.

    only reason one might go for 64bit would be if they had a high performance gaming carpc. but even then you might as well dualboot, unless you dont plan on using a lot of specialized software.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate checksum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbia/MD
    Posts
    260
    Thanks, that's what I thought. But more likely to use win7 32 over winxp.
    2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
    2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

  4. #4
    SuperMod - OBDII GPS Logger forum
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    929
    Right now, 50% of Windows 7 PCs bought by consumers are 64 bit. Gartner estimates that 75% of Windows 7 installed will be 64 bit by 2013.

    The writing's on the wall for 32-bit, and the sooner people quit installing it, and start reporting any 64-bit bugs to software maintainers, the sooner we'll all be better off.

    Seriously. Install 64-bit, see if all your software works. If it does, great. If not, submit bugs to upstream. It'll probably work.

    Gary (-;
    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate checksum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbia/MD
    Posts
    260
    But you see, most application we use in the carputer are 32bit, ie: winamp, GPS software, iGuidance, Dashcommand, google earth, firefox, webcam software, all 3rd party plugins for winamp, roadrunner, centifuge, etc...
    Can you name me a single 64bit application that we use in the carputer? I can't think of any...

    A 64bit OS is only good if the software (application) takes advantage of the 64bit bus.

    64bit OS has been around for more than 5 years now, and winamp has yet to release a 64 bit version of their popular player. Why? For such a popular player, I don't know why.

    Even though we see a lot of 64bit application coming out now, the 32bit version will always be available.

    Now unless you are planning to do some word processing or image editing in your car, then you can use office 64bit or photoshop 64 bit along a 64bit OS.

    I don't see the need to install a 64bit OS in the car, although it does not hurt. But I am also worried about compatibility issues that may arise with 32 bit application.
    2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
    2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

  6. #6
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by checksum View Post
    Hello,

    I have a 64 bit processor and was wondering if I should install windows 7 32bit or 64bit. Would it make a difference in a carputer environment?
    I would go with 32bit, because its what is standard right now. Some people run 64bit, but I dont know what hardware and software they run, like FE wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by trader007 View Post
    generally, 64bit is not good for carputing because most home-brew apps and plugins that you are likely to use will only work in 32bit. pretty much the same reason that, at least right now, its still best to use winxp over vista or 7.

    only reason one might go for 64bit would be if they had a high performance gaming carpc. but even then you might as well dualboot, unless you dont plan on using a lot of specialized software.
    Agreed, its all done in 32bit so I would stay with 32bit. I do not agree with using XP over Win 7 though. Vista was a big $h!++y OS, so never even consider it. As far as Win 7 though, there are so many advantages to using it. Only disadvantage is that some stuff that is made for XP, even though updated to Win 7, still may not work like it did on XP. Thing is the Pro over Win 7 over XP out weigh the cons.

    In my setup I am using Win 7 32bit for the main system. The second system, because it uses legacy graphics cards, I decided to use XP. Because the second system doesnt need hybrid sleep like the main system, I really didnt mind XP. Also, because I am a newbie with Win 7, and the second system is using Extended Windows to create 6 different user environments, I felt better with XP, because I have done it with XP before.

    Quote Originally Posted by chunkyks View Post
    Right now, 50% of Windows 7 PCs bought by consumers are 64 bit. Gartner estimates that 75% of Windows 7 installed will be 64 bit by 2013.

    The writing's on the wall for 32-bit, and the sooner people quit installing it, and start reporting any 64-bit bugs to software maintainers, the sooner we'll all be better off.

    Seriously. Install 64-bit, see if all your software works. If it does, great. If not, submit bugs to upstream. It'll probably work.

    Gary (-;
    I agree, 64bit is the way to go, soon. i think in about 2 more years, we will be forced to go 64bit. I would love to take advantage of my 64bit processors. I also like the fact that there is a huge increase in how much RAM we can use. 32bit can only use 4GB max (technically 3.25GB). Both boards I have have the ability to support 8GB of RAM, and I am forced to use 4GB.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  7. #7
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    49
    if you use xport it wont work on 64bit windows. Other than that i've had no problems running anything.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  8. #8
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
    if you use xport it wont work on 64bit windows. Other than that i've had no problems running anything.
    Have you needed to use xport with Win 7 64bit though? I have a few devices that are 32bit based and the drivers barely work on XP. I can get them to work in Win 7, but will they also work in Win 64 bit?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  9. #9
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,114
    Blog Entries
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
    Have you needed to use xport with Win 7 64bit though? I have a few devices that are 32bit based and the drivers barely work on XP. I can get them to work in Win 7, but will they also work in Win 64 bit?
    I own GPSGate, which does the same thing xport does but works with 64bit OS. I havent run into any devices which dont work with 64bit, GPS, TPMS, fusion brain, spacenav.. they all work either native or with 32bit compatibility mode
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  10. #10
    What can I say? I like serial. Curiosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florence Yall, BFKY
    Posts
    2,684
    This is looking a lot like when we switched from 16 to 32 bit. It took a while and we tossed old hardware and software that didn't make the change. There were some nice things that didn't run well on WoW32 emulation. Just like everything running on WoW64 now. It's a little like underclocking the CPU but it stays just as hot.

    But it's kind of a chicken/egg thing. Running everything on emulation is a disadvantage, but without high enough demand there won't be any pressure to make the switch.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Xport of equiv win 7 64bit
    By Skuzzle in forum GPS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
  2. Centrafuse + Mac Mini + Win7 =?
    By Lachie in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 02:20 AM
  3. About win7 Forum.
    By dongzhi in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 01:46 AM
  4. FB & Win7 32bit
    By Iamthehor in forum Fusion Brain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •