Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Tiny Windows 7

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507

    Thumbs up Tiny Windows 7

    I just installed Tiny Windows 7 as a third OS on my now triple boot carpc just so I could experience Windows 7 on my machine in the car(using an M10000 mobo, which isn't very fast and I am simply amazed at how fast this version of windows runs on my hardware...imagine if I had updated hardware starting with my mobo...wow!). No activation is needed cause its already activated and unattended except for the beginning of the installation where you choose which drive or partition to install to. I will only be using it like a standard desktop installation for standard desktop use, cause I don't want anything running that will slow it down. Plus I prefer to leave this as the only OS in my installation that is truly the regular desktop experience. Even got a webcam installed into the dash. My carpc will be perfect once I get an SSD, so that my applications will open and run quicker(my 7200rpm HHD runs great now by the way)!!!

    If you have old hardware, but want to have a system that is responsive and has a new OS version, this version is aimed to please...just my thoughts and user opinion!!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  2. #2
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Im going to try this out, as Tiny XP was the best XP release *ever* and by the same author.
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  3. #3
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    I did a boot time comparison on my hardware and there was no different between TinyXP Rev 10, Tiny7 Rev1 and full Windows 7 home with a few minor service tweaks.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
    I did a boot time comparison on my hardware and there was no different between TinyXP Rev 10, Tiny7 Rev1 and full Windows 7 home with a few minor service tweaks.


    I bet your hardware is faster than mine(Via 1g processor and 1g ram, 7200rpm sata hdd). Tiny 7 is faster than a full regular XP professional installation on my hardware.
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1
    interesting, can we ugrade xp with tiny7 or is only new install supported?

  6. #6
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,948
    Quote Originally Posted by locs4dayz View Post
    I bet your hardware is faster than mine(Via 1g processor and 1g ram, 7200rpm sata hdd). Tiny 7 is faster than a full regular XP professional installation on my hardware.
    Two reasons for this:
    1 - Win7 itself (whether stripped out or not) is optimized for faster boot times and has better memory management than WinXP.
    2 - Tiny7 is stripped out so that unnecessary apps and services aren't loaded, thus increasing the boot times.

    Personally, I think that the pre-packaged stripped-down OS versions are only viable for complete novices, but they carry with them some pretty hefty caveats. The biggest is the frustration a user experiences when trying to utilize functionality that has been removed due to services being shut off and whatnot.

    It may be more time consuming, but it is far more valuable to learn what what you need and don't need in the way of services, files, components, and so on and strip your own OS yourself.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate bambam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Two reasons for this:
    1 - Win7 itself (whether stripped out or not) is optimized for faster boot times and has better memory management than WinXP.
    2 - Tiny7 is stripped out so that unnecessary apps and services aren't loaded, thus increasing the boot times.

    Personally, I think that the pre-packaged stripped-down OS versions are only viable for complete novices, but they carry with them some pretty hefty caveats. The biggest is the frustration a user experiences when trying to utilize functionality that has been removed due to services being shut off and whatnot.

    It may be more time consuming, but it is far more valuable to learn what what you need and don't need in the way of services, files, components, and so on and strip your own OS yourself.
    Man, do I respectfully disagree.

    I am running Ride Runner with DFX 5.0 on a Asrock P4 mini-itx board.

    I have tested with a custom n'lited stripped down version of XP SP2, full XP SP2, Win7 lite and full Win 7 and there was no comparison.

    From a cold boot, my stripped XP is up and running in 18-20 secs.
    Full XP 30 secs.
    Tiny 7 35 secs.
    Full 7 45 secs.

    The only thing that Win7 was slightly faster at was shutdown but who cares about that once the shutdown process is initiated?

    Also, the XP versions run blu-ray rips (mkv) without issue while both Win 7's shutter and get "blocky" on occasion.

    I am sticking with my n'lited version of XP; it's extremely fast and stable.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Similar Threads

  1. New Frontend for Windows and Linux
    By gbr in forum Other Cool Front Ends
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM
  2. Ahhhhh Windows Can Blow Royally
    By Sidewalksalvage in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
  3. Installing Windows 2000 Pro on a 1GB Microdrive
    By JeremyM in forum WinNT Based
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
  4. Windows Freeze When Crank, Crank again windows unfreeze
    By antimatter in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 12:40 AM
  5. Windows ME and MediaCar
    By dug1967 in forum MediaCar
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •