Two words: Network installation
Please could someone tell me the secret.I need to reimage my HP minitower. The HDD is fine but got a virus and now hangs at the splashscreen after the Microseoft XP home screen.I called HP helpdesk and they say I can reimage from the HDD. I have no CD or Floppy startup disks and did not make a startup floppy as I should have.But they want $99.00 and only then will they tell me the secret and we could do it right over the phone.
Can anyone please tell me what needs to be done to restore the Operating system off the HDD.I do not mind about any loss of files.
Thanks in advance.
Watch the screen right after POST. It will say F10 to restore or something like that. You may have to go into the BIOS and turn of splash screens. The operating system files are on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Several of our systems use this setup.
Recovering the system without using Windows
- Disconnect all peripherals and internal non preinstalled devices from the PC, except the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- Turn on the computer.
- When the initial blue HP screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears. The progress indicator that first appears does not indicate that a recovery is taking place. The progress indicator represents the time before the recovery process is started.
- When the Recovery screen appears, click Next, and then click Yes to perform a normal, non-destructive recovery.
- To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced, and then click Yes.
- After the System Recovery is complete, and the computer starts successfully, update the computer software as follows: