Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: XPembedded and CF cards

  1. #11
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    751
    This is the board. One of the reasons I got it was so I could boot off CF.... well, and the size.

    http://www.advantech.com/products/Mo...ZQW&BU=ACG&PD=

  2. #12
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    Ok, you said you installed XP on the target system on a regular HDD. So from that XP installation format and partition the CF card with NTFS marking it active.

    I think the problem is that you're converting it from FAT32 to NTFS.

  3. #13
    DIGItonium
    Guest
    What CF card are you using? Probably MBR issue.

    FAT32 -> NTFS might be another issue. Not all CF cards can run with NTFS. The Sandisk Ultra II card I'm testing works well with NTFS. I barely get disk checks.

  4. #14
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    Ok, you said you installed XP on the target system on a regular HDD. So from that XP installation format and partition the CF card with NTFS marking it active.

    I think the problem is that you're converting it from FAT32 to NTFS.
    Format it via Windows disk management?

    I actually overwrote that windows installation on my regular HDD There was a copy of windows 98 on there and I did an "upgrade" of XP from within Windows from my USB HDD... I can't hook up a CD-Rom to the mini board because I don't have a 3 connector IDE cable for it (small laptop size...)

  5. #15
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by DIGItonium View Post
    What CF card are you using? Probably MBR issue.

    FAT32 -> NTFS might be another issue. Not all CF cards can run with NTFS. The Sandisk Ultra II card I'm testing works well with NTFS. I barely get disk checks.


    Just a regular SanDisk 512MB

  6. #16
    DIGItonium
    Guest
    If the BIOS detects the CF card, you have hope.

    It is definitely some sort of MBR issue that's preventing the BIOS from trying to boot off the Sandisk card.

    1) Using a USB card reader, format the CF card as FAT32.

    2) Boot Win98 CD into DOS and make sure you can access the CF card. Run fdisk verify the DOS FAT partition, and make sure it is active. If not, set it to active (makes it bootable).

    See if you can format the card using the "/s" option to make it a "DOS" bootable card. The goal is to load DOS on the CF card so it can boot off it.

    I've done this before with a generic 2GB Sandisk card to verify the card is bootable. If not, then don't worry. Proceed with the XP installation directly on the card, and try it with FAT32 first.

    I wouldn't recommend installing Win98 and then upgrading to XP... I wasn't clear on this one.

    [EDIT] Dude, I just noticed what's making your life tough. Yea, definitely grab yourself a 40pin-to-44pin adapter. It'll make your life easy.

  7. #17
    FLAC SFiorito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,364
    The problem isn't the card, it's how you formatted the card.

    If you've got a USB CD-ROM drive then you can run BartPE and format the CF card as NTFS. Or get a CF-IDE adapter for your development machine running the XPe tools, but the problem with that is you can't hot unplug the card.

    Once you properly partition and format your card you'll be fine.

  8. #18
    DIGItonium
    Guest
    I should not have read the other thread about CF-IDE advice... I'm getting the two mixed up!

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by SFiorito View Post
    The problem isn't the card, it's how you formatted the card.

    If you've got a USB CD-ROM drive then you can run BartPE and format the CF card as NTFS. Or get a CF-IDE adapter for your development machine running the XPe tools, but the problem with that is you can't hot unplug the card.

    Once you properly partition and format your card you'll be fine.
    What's BartPE? I did a google search and found this thing called PE Builder.. but... no format utility there...

  10. #20
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    751
    Just reading through the suport docs that came with Microsoft Target Designer... One page says NOT to use diskpart on CF cards, the other page says that the CF card must be marked as active before I can use BootPrep to configure the CF card, which I can do with diskpart...

    I honestly don't understand that they don't include a simple little utility I can run to configure my CF card... Can't be that difficult considering they are giving me a program to create a custom embedded version of Windows...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2002 Mazda Protege5
    By ELEmental59437 in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 07:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •