Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Reducing Return From Hibernation Time......

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172

    Reducing Return From Hibernation Time......

    My search on this topic yielded surprising poor results so I will just post a thread with my question.

    My CarPC will come out of hibernation in 35 secs (from turn key to desktop). I have used tips from the optimization threads in this forum, which has helped (especially in the area of CPU usage). However, is there a way to reduce the return from hibernation time even further? I saw a few posts where guys were getting times between 10 to 15 secs but there was no explanation.

    System Basics:
    Via M10000 MB w/512 RAM
    M2-ATX
    WinXP Pro

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate psyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    536
    hibernation consists of reading a giant file and dumping into memory. to decrease time, get a faster harddrive to transfer the giant file faster (7200rpm). to decrease time, make the file smaller by using less ram (256mb).

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by psyrex View Post
    hibernation consists of reading a giant file and dumping into memory. to decrease time, get a faster harddrive to transfer the giant file faster (7200rpm). to decrease time, make the file smaller by using less ram (256mb).
    Well the hard drive will stay were it is. But as far as memory is concerned, how do I reduce the amount of memory? When I looked under the power management section of Control Panel, I did not see anything about adjusting memory size. Are you saying I need to remove physical memory from my CarPC (i.e. take it out of the CarPC)?

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate psyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    536
    yes, physically replace it with a smaller one. hibernation creates a 512MB file that is a direct copy of whats in your memory at the time of hibernation. This 512MB file will take a while to read and dump back into your memory when you're recovering.

    Switch to 256MB, and it only creates a 256MB file. Recovering then is much faster cuz you're only dumping half as much data back into memory.


    as to how much it reduces your startup time, that's up to your setup. You probably should watch your bootup with a stopwatch and note how long the recover part takes. if the recover is only 5 seconds, swapping to smaller memory will not get you to the 10-15seconds that you want.

    Also, what are you measuring from? you said it's between when you turn your key and when it's up, but their 10-15 might just be their POST+recover time. On my setup, there's nearly a 10 second delay between ignition and carpc startup.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by psyrex View Post
    Also, what are you measuring from? you said it's between when you turn your key and when it's up, but their 10-15 might just be their POST+recover time. On my setup, there's nearly a 10 second delay between ignition and carpc startup.
    From the time I turn the key to the "ON" position until the desktop comes up is what I measured. Also when I timed how long it takes to boot from scratch it was 45-50 seconds. So is 35 secs pretty good, average, slow? Is ther some type of software "gadget" out there that can help speed this up?

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate NiSlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    508
    Google for 'Bootvis'. It's a program developed by microsoft sepecifically to optimise your starup.

    When you install it and open it up, tick all the boxes on the left side, then click click trace which gives you a few option, to shutown + trace, standby + trace and hibernate + trace. Choose either depending on what you're trying to improve. If you want both, just do one first, then do the other one later on.

    Anyway you click one of them and then click ok in the box that comes up.
    It then basically restarts/standybys/hibernates your pc and boots up again timing how long everything takes. Bios, drivers etc, windows shell. You can then goto trace > optimise system and it will make some changes to optimise your boot up times.

    Look at the graphs before and after optimisation to find out how much of a difference it makes. It's always been a couple of seconds on systems i've used it on.
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by NiSlo View Post
    Google for 'Bootvis'. It's a program developed by microsoft sepecifically to optimise your starup.

    When you install it and open it up, tick all the boxes on the left side, then click click trace which gives you a few option, to shutown + trace, standby + trace and hibernate + trace. Choose either depending on what you're trying to improve. If you want both, just do one first, then do the other one later on.

    Anyway you click one of them and then click ok in the box that comes up.
    It then basically restarts/standybys/hibernates your pc and boots up again timing how long everything takes. Bios, drivers etc, windows shell. You can then goto trace > optimise system and it will make some changes to optimise your boot up times.

    Look at the graphs before and after optimisation to find out how much of a difference it makes. It's always been a couple of seconds on systems i've used it on.
    Thanks, I will give it a try. But based on your experience, do you think there is anything left (i.e. can I realistically get the time down)? What are typical hibernation times?

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate NiSlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    508
    It can't hurt, it lays out all the startup programs in optimal order (basically defrags your startup progs). That alone speeds things up. Plus it's a good tool to identify what it taking the most time. If you can see that the shell or a specific driver is taking along time to load, you can move in it and try to reduce that specific item.

    I don't use hibernation. I cold boot each time and I manage to get cold boots of about 30 seconds or so. I may look at changing this down the track however
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

  9. #9
    The Vauxhall Vectra Project ccsnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    Posts
    2,681
    Its an intresting thread this and one I'm going to follow... one point that I think is missed by Bootvis is the BIOS ( I could be wrong ) and options like quick boot can help.

    One example where I have just extended my boot time is by putting a vid card in - now it does some BIOS resource check which I've not managed to turn off giving it around an extra 3-4 secs boot cold or hibernate.

    Mines a Via 12000 so that may be some thing to watch for your self JM

    Terran

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    597
    There is a way to use less memory in WinXP without removing the physical memory.

    It is in BOOT.INI using /maxmem - tell winXP how much physical memory it can use.

    read more: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...n/bootini.mspx

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 512MB or 256MB (need to cut down hibernation load time)
    By jackdon in forum Operating System Optimization
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 11:33 PM
  2. Resume time from hibernation with EPIA M/B's
    By toxsickcity in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 01:32 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 02:59 AM
  4. return from hibernation screen change?
    By llajumpvid in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 09:49 AM
  5. Odd Off Topic-ness on Hibernation
    By Vchat20 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •