Headunit (Linux/Windows CarPC frontend) + initial screenshots
Well, I finally had some time last week to do some real work on that Linux port I was doing of MediaCar. Actually, it's not really a port since I don't have the MediaCar source code ;). I just used feb's mediacar skin and coded everything else from scratch in Qt.
EDIT: Latest Files (9/21/2004)
HeadUnit 0.3 (Windows Installer)
HeadUnit 0.3 (Source Code - Linux/Windows)
Before I jump into details, here are some screenshots. They really aren't that exciting since it's the same skin as MediaCar:
You will notice some minor differences that are mostly due to different fonts in X11 and lack of numbering in the playlist. For audio, video, and DVD playback I used xine-lib. The result is media playback that is integrated into the program and does not rely on external applications.
I just started on this thing so there aren't many featuers yet, but here is a short list:
* Support for most popular audio formats (COMPLETED)
* Support for most popular video formats (including DivX) (COMPLETED)
* Support for DVD playback (including menus) (INCOMPLETE)
* Skin support (currently only MediaCar, but plan to support FrodoPlayer) (COMPLETED)
* Fullscreen audio visualization (using GOOM) (COMPLETED)
* simple playlist (COMPLETED)
* Creates a database of all media files during initial setup (uses SQLite as DB) (COMPLETED)
* Windows port (COMPLETED)
Now, you are asking why did I do this?
Well, mostly for personal reasons:
1) I want to run my CarPC in Linux for reasons I don't want to get into now
2) I wanted to get MediaCar running again since Coyote left (altough now it looks like FrodoPlayer is the way to go)
3) I was too impatient to wait for dashpc and xcar to mature (although I am still eagerly waiting for a release...I like the notion of a CarPC distribution of Linux)
4) I wanted to play around with Qt
5) I wanted to **** people off by starting yet another CarPC frontend that really doesn't offer any new features
So, what now?
1) I submitted this project (HeadUnit) for review to SourceForge. If they accept it, it will be available there for download and for developers to work on.
2) Since the source is open, anyone can add stuff to it. It is coded in C++, but not well documented. However, it should be pretty easy to figure out if you know Qt.
3) I will be porting it to Windows so it should basically run exactly like MediaCar does now (I don't anticipate this will take more than a week or so...anyone want to help??? PLEASE???)
4) I will probably change the skin to FrodoPlayer style so that it can provide FrodoPlayer's better browsing features.
5) I already played aroung with trying to integrate Destinator (in Wine) so I will work on doing that next (after the above stuff is done).
Having said all this, I really don't have that much time to work on it, so I was really hoping to get volunteers to help develop this thing. Also, a note about XCar: this project has a different goal than xcar and I don't believe it is a competing project. Xcar has much bigger goals and will be a much more professional-quality product when completed. HeadUnit is meant to be a quick solution to hold us over until XCar is ready for use.
Also, to be realistic, this project will probably go the way of the dodo, but I thought I'd give it a shot while I had the motivation. :D
I will post the sourceforge link as soon as I hear from them, but if you want the source in the meantime, send me a PM. You will need to have qt-3.3.2, xine-lib, and sqlite installed before building this project.