Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 234

Thread: StevieG's Access Control Software

  1. #11
    Banned P*ssed off B/F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    37
    Good work stevieg with a car like mine this will be very handy as the mechanics like to take it for a test drive - OBDII recording would come in handy too to keep an eye on their driving.

    I presume that you only intend to have this on when you take the car in for a service but it could also be handy for if the car is stolen so what about using an RFID tag or one of those USB lock keys on your keychain to disable this software? But then that could be considered getting a little complicated and ruining a nice simple bit of software. You could have it triggered by the valet switch into a serial port too - ie have the valet switch not to disable the PC but put it in surveillance mode. (I apologise, that sounds like something from Knight Rider!)

    Oh just thought of a few more things: could it be set to turn off the monitor after say 1 minute (and it wil then come back on when the screen is touched) so mechinics dont try and mess with it. And would it be best to have an on screen warning as recording people might be considered slightly illegal and if they see a warning that they are being recorded then they may not do the stupid things - prevention is better than cure.

    Then again I suspect a dodgy mechanic I would take it badly and do a half assed job if he knew he/she was being recorded.

  2. #12
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by *****ed off B/F
    Good work stevieg with a car like mine this will be very handy as the mechanics like to take it for a test drive - OBDII recording would come in handy too to keep an eye on their driving.

    I presume that you only intend to have this on when you take the car in for a service but it could also be handy for if the car is stolen so what about using an RFID tag or one of those USB lock keys on your keychain to disable this software? But then that could be considered getting a little complicated and ruining a nice simple bit of software. You could have it triggered by the valet switch into a serial port too - ie have the valet switch not to disable the PC but put it in surveillance mode. (I apologise, that sounds like something from Knight Rider!)

    Oh just thought of a few more things: could it be set to turn off the monitor after say 1 minute (and it wil then come back on when the screen is touched) so mechinics dont try and mess with it. And would it be best to have an on screen warning as recording people might be considered slightly illegal and if they see a warning that they are being recorded then they may not do the stupid things - prevention is better than cure.

    Then again I suspect a dodgy mechanic I would take it badly and do a half assed job if he knew he/she was being recorded.

    I don't want to make it too complicated just yet, I'd rather it use the existing features than add a load more, plus I can't afford RFID readers yet!

    It's not a commercial premises (my car isnt anyway), so I don't need to warn anyone they are being recorded. The 'CCTV signs' or 'you are being monitored' warning only apply to business', not personal property.

    You'll probably remember a short while ago on BBC news a guy had a webcam monitor posting pics to the net, and caught someone pinch his PC. He had no signs, evidence was still permissable and not illegal to do!
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  3. #13
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by *****ed off B/F
    Good work stevieg with a car like mine this will be very handy as the mechanics like to take it for a test drive - OBDII recording would come in handy too to keep an eye on their driving.

    I presume that you only intend to have this on when you take the car in for a service but it could also be handy for if the car is stolen so what about using an RFID tag or one of those USB lock keys on your keychain to disable this software? But then that could be considered getting a little complicated and ruining a nice simple bit of software. You could have it triggered by the valet switch into a serial port too - ie have the valet switch not to disable the PC but put it in surveillance mode. (I apologise, that sounds like something from Knight Rider!)

    Oh just thought of a few more things: could it be set to turn off the monitor after say 1 minute (and it wil then come back on when the screen is touched) so mechinics dont try and mess with it. And would it be best to have an on screen warning as recording people might be considered slightly illegal and if they see a warning that they are being recorded then they may not do the stupid things - prevention is better than cure.

    Then again I suspect a dodgy mechanic I would take it badly and do a half assed job if he knew he/she was being recorded.
    It is no illegal 'cause is your car.........
    Is like the camaras and mic in you house that you leave on when the A/C guys say his working. and he is not.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

    Nissan Aux-in MOD


    Quote Originally Posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

  4. #14
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    56


    "I pity the fool typing to gain unauthorized access to this system."

  5. #15
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by vatik


    "I pity the fool typing to gain unauthorized access to this system."
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

    Nissan Aux-in MOD


    Quote Originally Posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

  6. #16
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by vatik


    "I pity the fool typing to gain unauthorized access to this system."
    ROFL!
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  7. #17
    Banned P*ssed off B/F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    37
    Well the legal issues are sorted then! (and i don't get BBC news over here but we do have TVNZ news and Sky news!)

    Vatik:

  8. #18
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    56
    I just got done with the skin, it amuses me, but I wasn't thinking and made it in the wrong aspect ratio. Ill redo it sometime. You can edit the background image to put whatever you want in there. Ill upload the skin.ini when I get a chance.

    Hey, stevie,

    Is there a way to set the font color? If not, maybe for release 2.0, shouldn't be too trying. Thanks again. I'm definately going to use this. It would take alot of work, but it would be cool if you could compress and upload the audio files to a server whenever wifi is available. I figure you get your car stolen. This might save the day, you never know. This would be alot of work, though, more than I would be willing to attempt. Great program. Thanks

  9. #19
    See me in my wet t-shirt. stevieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by vatik
    I just got done with the skin, it amuses me, but I wasn't thinking and made it in the wrong aspect ratio. Ill redo it sometime. You can edit the background image to put whatever you want in there. Ill upload the skin.ini when I get a chance.
    Glad you like it
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

  10. #20
    Raw Wave RoyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    3,534
    VERYYY cool!

    I suggest either some sort of motion detection (I think there is some OCX that allows this from a regular webcam), or maybe recording when some audio is detected (?), or timelapsed recording (1 snap every 5 seconds), that way we can keep file size and length down... (Imagine monitoring all 10 hours of service that goes into your car over say a week!)

    But it is really very cool! Really cool idea!

    Oh, what format is this in? if it could convert to mp3, it could perhaps upload audio via gprs? (would be itneresting in combi with video, or images, in case your car gets taken)

Similar Threads

  1. MSDXM.OCX - Why oh why don't you fix that NOW?!
    By Zippy1970 in forum Media Engine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
  2. Software to control A/C - Heater ?
    By henriktha in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 01:55 AM
  3. Software solution for gLCD-based car-mp3
    By Novgorod in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
  4. My numpad controlled custom MP3Car software - need your opinions
    By PorscheMP3 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2002, 11:30 AM
  5. Need software for X10 remote
    By Dimitris76 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2000, 05:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •