Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: FYI: Wattage Meter for determining PSU WATTs Required.

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate mpfjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    215

    FYI: Wattage Meter for determining PSU WATTs Required.

    I bought one of these things Watts/Amps/Volts meter

    Then I hooked up everything to that powersuppy. It powers my xenarc, my slimline dvd player and all the usb devices. I then watched the watt meter display booting draw, idle draw, and load draw. I figure my 250 watt power supply draws more power than the 160watt m2atx that I am planning to use. My entire system P4 celeron with retail heatsink, nvidia geforce 5200, chaintech soundcard, wireless network,fm dlink usb radio, usb 2.0 expansion card, and of course xm radio usb, gps usb, xenarc touchscreen usb and slimline dvd usb.

    Boot draw goes up to about 153 watts, idle is at about 100, playing mp3's is at about 112 and playing a dvd is at about 120.
    xmradio and usb fm radio don't draw much at all if anything. I think I probably have enough left over to add a usb hub though I probably won't do that.

    Well it is good peace of mind knowing that I am not drawing more than the m2atx 160 watt can provide. My previous system ran on the 90watt m1atx and I always thought I was having power supply issues.

    Plus the 250 watt power supply that came with the case probably draws a lot more than the 160 m2atx will so I bet I'll save about 15% off those numbers.

  2. #2
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfjr View Post
    I
    Well it is good peace of mind knowing that I am not drawing more than the m2atx 160 watt can provide.
    Actually, you are.

    The M2-ATX is rated at 160 watts, if every rail is perfectly balanced, maning the loading in each voltage rail is exactly the manfactur specification.

    This does not happen in real life.

    Most likely, you have a bigger loadon say, your 5 volt rail, and a lesser load on your 12 volt rail, than the M2ATX is designed for.


    Think of it this way. Say you live in a city on city water. The city water plant can measure total outgoing flow. Say a pipe bursts in your house. That's real bad, but the city would never know, because they have no way of telling the specific consumption of each house from the plant, just the total.

    alternatively, see this diagram:

    Code:
    your 
    measurment 
    device
       |
      /|\
    /  | \
    |  |   \
    3v 5v  12v
    computer

    do you see it? if you overload any of those "pipelines", bad things happen. you can't just measure the input, you must measure all outputs.

    also, buy a Fusion Brain, they're sweet.

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate MibMib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    KyrGyzstan
    Posts
    93
    greenman100
    very nice explanation! Respect to you !
    400Watt CarPC power supply for powerfull systems- thaks for Beta testers- it was perfect.

    Remember - AMD Athlon XP (socket A) powers from 5v rail in most times !

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate mpfjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by greenman100 View Post
    Actually, you are.

    The M2-ATX is rated at 160 watts, if every rail is perfectly balanced, maning the loading in each voltage rail is exactly the manfactur specification.

    This does not happen in real life.

    Most likely, you have a bigger loadon say, your 5 volt rail, and a lesser load on your 12 volt rail, than the M2ATX is designed for.


    Think of it this way. Say you live in a city on city water. The city water plant can measure total outgoing flow. Say a pipe bursts in your house. That's real bad, but the city would never know, because they have no way of telling the specific consumption of each house from the plant, just the total.

    alternatively, see this diagram:

    Code:
    your 
    measurment 
    device
       |
      /|\
    /  | \
    |  |   \
    3v 5v  12v
    computer

    do you see it? if you overload any of those "pipelines", bad things happen. you can't just measure the input, you must measure all outputs.

    also, buy a Fusion Brain, they're sweet.
    I see what you are saying. Now I need to figure out which items draw power from which so I can try to even it out.

  5. #5
    Fusion Brain Creator
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,221
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfjr View Post
    I see what you are saying. Now I need to figure out which items draw power from which so I can try to even it out.
    You're probably safe, you're just real close.

    My point was, don't be confident - if you have issues, don't rule out the PSU.

Similar Threads

  1. FAQ: Power Supplies Explained (Part 1)
    By Bugbyte in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM
  2. PSU Wattage questions
    By White 350z in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Frequently Asked Questions
    By bgoodman in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
  4. What to look for in a PSU some info for you
    By cproaudio in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 02:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •