Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: DS-ATX Crashing Carpc at high temps

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    44

    DS-ATX Crashing Carpc at high temps

    Have any of you ds-atx owners experienced system crashes during high temperatures?

    My carpc crashes when the DSATX is in high temperatures. When a normal ATX power supply is attached, my system survives much higher temperatures.

    Using a hair dryer pushing warm air into the case, I was able heat my components up as if they were in the summer heat. The regular ATX power supply was able to get my case temperature at least +15 degrees F higher without crashing. My CPU got up to 78 degrees C so I was afraid to push it any higher than that. This has proved to me that the DSATX in high temperatures is causing my system to crash.

    MB: a7v8x-vm400
    CPU: 1 GHZ AMD XP
    DISK: WD 160GB IDE
    RAM: 512MB 2100 DDR
    Windows XP, RoadRunner, MBMonitor5,

    I do have a 50cm fan blowing air directly onto the dsatx and I do not get the thermal protection blink codes when the system crashes. I'm considering switching to another PS, but before I do I must ask...

    Do any of you have an idea why the DSATX would cause the system to crash?
    Colossians 1:16 - Everything

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate psyrex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    536
    It could be that some components can't handle the heat, losing the ability to sustain a rail. Maybe your computer crashes when a 5v or 12v rail drops too low.

  3. #3
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,948
    Define "crash".
    Does the DSATX cut power to the PC? If so, then it's doing what it is supposed to do.

    Did you purchase the brainstem with your DSATX? If so, you can change the max temp threshold that will cause the DSATX to cut off the PC.

    If you didn't purchase the brainstem, you're kinda SOL. This is exactly why I recommend to everyone considering the DSATX to drop the extra ten bucks for the brainstem.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by psyrex View Post
    It could be that some components can't handle the heat, losing the ability to sustain a rail. Maybe your computer crashes when a 5v or 12v rail drops too low.
    All components were heated and the only component that was switched was the power supply. It is possible the dsatx cannot sustain a rail voltage or power consumption at a high temperature. Is this common among other power supplies?
    Colossians 1:16 - Everything

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    Define "crash".
    Does the DSATX cut power to the PC? If so, then it's doing what it is supposed to do.

    Did you purchase the brainstem with your DSATX? If so, you can change the max temp threshold that will cause the DSATX to cut off the PC.

    If you didn't purchase the brainstem, you're kinda SOL. This is exactly why I recommend to everyone considering the DSATX to drop the extra ten bucks for the brainstem.
    When it crashes, the screen freezes, inputs freeze, music stops, nothing else to do but hard shutdown. The dsatx does not cut power to the PC when this happens. No blink codes. I do have a brainstem and have used it. It was a while ago though. I'll have to check again but I do not remember anything out of the ordinary with the output.
    Colossians 1:16 - Everything

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate Phatsacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Va
    Posts
    281
    While I don't even have my carpc built yet...

    Why do you think it's the PSU?

    Lots of things can cause a freeze.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatsacks View Post
    While I don't even have my carpc built yet...

    Why do you think it's the PSU?

    Lots of things can cause a freeze.
    Yes, I understand. Along with replacing the PSU, as I explained in my first post, I've done extensive testing with other components such as swapping hard drive and stripping the system barebones components. The variables to my problem are the power source and temperature.

    I'm surprised that other dsatx owners systems do not freeze and the thermal protection kicks in during high temps. During my tests , I observed rail values using the MBmonitor 5 logging. I can conclude the dsatx rails are lower than the ATX rails.

    DSATX produced average voltage 3.3/5/12 rails
    3.280 4.855 11.533
    Where the ATX PSU produced average voltages of
    3.29 4.98 12.31

    Is this a problem?
    Colossians 1:16 - Everything

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate Phatsacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Springfield, Va
    Posts
    281
    You didn't post the extensive testing, and replacing components in your first post. That would have kept me from posting what I did. (Only the hairdryer which is heat testing)

    So with the hard drive, you reinstalled a fresh OS?

    If so, I'd try the PSU you think it is, and a new mobo/cpu.

  9. #9
    Self proclaimed spoon feeder TruckinMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,742
    Quote Originally Posted by vdog View Post
    Have any of you ds-atx owners experienced system crashes during high temperatures?

    My carpc crashes when the DSATX is in high temperatures. When a normal ATX power supply is attached, my system survives much higher temperatures.

    Using a hair dryer pushing warm air into the case, I was able heat my components up as if they were in the summer heat. The regular ATX power supply was able to get my case temperature at least +15 degrees F higher without crashing. My CPU got up to 78 degrees C so I was afraid to push it any higher than that. This has proved to me that the DSATX in high temperatures is causing my system to crash.

    MB: a7v8x-vm400
    CPU: 1 GHZ AMD XP
    DISK: WD 160GB IDE
    RAM: 512MB 2100 DDR
    Windows XP, RoadRunner, MBMonitor5,

    I do have a 50cm fan blowing air directly onto the dsatx and I do not get the thermal protection blink codes when the system crashes. I'm considering switching to another PS, but before I do I must ask...

    Do any of you have an idea why the DSATX would cause the system to crash?

    What temp did the DSATX get to before the failure?.... you state the ATX PS made 15 more degrees but did not state a temp for either one.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

    Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

    Read the FAQ!

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMP3 View Post
    What temp did the DSATX get to before the failure?....
    With the dsatx, the case temp (using a multimeter thermometer sensor placed in a spot in the center of the case) gets up to 120 F. With using the ATX PSU, the sensor got up to 135 F and still no freeze.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phatsacks View Post
    So with the hard drive, you reinstalled a fresh OS?
    No, I am using an image. I have tried three different drives. Two Western Digital and one samsung.

    I'll have to think about how i'll swap the mb/cpu. I have a custom case. Thank you for the idea.

    I just want to say thank you for everybody helping me. I appriciate the help.
    Colossians 1:16 - Everything

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PT Cruiser 7 touchscreen monitors, high end CarPC
    By Vinister in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 05:41 AM
  2. How can I use a laptop as a carpc?
    By turbocad6 in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. High quality outputs on carpc
    By e30325i in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
  4. morex 80wpsu and reg ATX cable dilema!!
    By surfy in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 08:06 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2002, 04:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •