Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: M3-ATX 125 watt Smart Automotive Power Supply

  1. #11
    Newbie trigge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14
    All,

    Just purchased one of these and it works great. Easily set up configurable (via jumpers not the serial port).

    Will post more when it is actually in the car and being used properly..

  2. #12
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    I got the M3 to test it out, as it intrigued me. Also my M2's SDC burned out. Other than that, my M2 worked great for 2 years, and the power regulation part still does.

    First impressions of the M3 are mixed. It is tiny... It does what it is supposed to. Amp turn on works perfectly.

    Some bad things, are that the jumpers are not standard 0.1" jumpers. They are teeny tiny and standard jumpers dont fit. They are loose when you put them on.

    Also they took away the 30second/2hour setting for the SDC, which renders the SDC useless for me as everything is way too short a time for pulling the plug, or way too long for pushing the power button. So pretty much completely useless timer options.

    I will need to get the serial connection, or just buy another M2.

    Anyone want an M3?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  3. #13
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    Also they took away the 30second/2hour setting for the SDC, which renders the SDC useless for me as everything is way too short a time for pulling the plug, or way too long for pushing the power button. So pretty much completely useless timer options.
    Have you tried the "custom" timer setting ?
    It defaults to 30sec/30sec but the manual says you can program the settings to whatever you want with the serial connection.

    BTW I cannot find how to do this in the manual, but it looks like this is what you want to do.

  4. #14
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,263
    Blog Entries
    1
    Its sad that the M(1)(2)(3)-ATX get such a bad rap from people who don't know how to use them correctly. Its always the same story, have now heard it with all 3 versions. Personally I own 2 m2-atx's and I've never had one problem with either. But, then again, I did the math to make sure each rail was within spec for my system, and hooked up the secondary and primary wiring correct every time.

    One of these days I'm going to order the M3 since it is also within spec for my embedded via
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  5. #15
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    I dont think its because people didnt do their math. The M-series just doesnt seem to be that high quality. There's so many horror stories about people's M2/M1s just randomly frying their motherboards (some low power Via systems too) after working fine for a period of time. My M2 is running fine for now, and I hope it stays that way. Maybe the M3 is of higher quality?

    But I do wonder why 2k1toaster's SDC would just "burn out."

  6. #16
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Have you tried the "custom" timer setting ?
    It defaults to 30sec/30sec but the manual says you can program the settings to whatever you want with the serial connection.

    BTW I cannot find how to do this in the manual, but it looks like this is what you want to do.
    Yeah you have to buy some serial cable (as I said in my post). But the options there are pretty stupid. Why would you want the button to signal the PC off, and then hardoff the PC at once. It makes standby unuseable. So right now I am doing it manually when I get in and out of the car.

    Its sad that the M(1)(2)(3)-ATX get such a bad rap from people who don't know how to use them correctly. Its always the same story, have now heard it with all 3 versions. Personally I own 2 m2-atx's and I've never had one problem with either. But, then again, I did the math to make sure each rail was within spec for my system, and hooked up the secondary and primary wiring correct every time.

    One of these days I'm going to order the M3 since it is also within spec for my embedded via


    I love my M2. If it didnt die, I would still be using it. Since my M2 did so well, I thought I would try the M3. Since it is not really what I want, I am thinking I'll just get another M2.
    Wanna trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    I dont think its because people didnt do their math. The M-series just doesnt seem to be that high quality. There's so many horror stories about people's M2/M1s just randomly frying their motherboards (some low power Via systems too) after working fine for a period of time. My M2 is running fine for now, and I hope it stays that way. Maybe the M3 is of higher quality?

    But I do wonder why 2k1toaster's SDC would just "burn out."
    M3 is just the picoPSU that has been around for a while. Even the parts say "picoPSU"

    And most of the horror stories are because of user error.

    I bought an VoomPC2 case as well, and it had a molex cable to connect power and amp lines. Well I just assumed the molex to be good as it was brand new, but apparently there was a strand of wire from the amp+ to amp- wires, so that plugged into my M2. Gave it power, and immediately smoke. The amp+ and amp- lines fused together and melted the entire wire, blackening the molex. The only damage was to the M2's SDC and amp turn on. The power regulation still works fine.

    So for being shorted with who knows how many amps, and not completely dieing or taking my new mobo/ram/cpu/hd is good.

    Just dont overload the M1/M2/M3 and it will work as it should. Like I said, that M2 was 2 years old and still kicking, and died due to a new case with a bad connector.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  7. #17
    Variable Bitrate john05srt4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by RevheadKev View Post
    Have you tried the "custom" timer setting ?
    It defaults to 30sec/30sec but the manual says you can program the settings to whatever you want with the serial connection.

    BTW I cannot find how to do this in the manual, but it looks like this is what you want to do.

    Ditto..anyone?
    10 acura TL tech
    10 BMW S1000RR

  8. #18
    Variable Bitrate john05srt4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    307
    You need this for CUSTOM settings..
    ok i found out on my own...
    you need this "serial" cable and software you can find here.

    cable - http://www.mini-box.com/Serial-Cable-Harness-M3-ATX

    software - http://www.mini-box.com/site/resourc...ATX-serial.zip
    10 acura TL tech
    10 BMW S1000RR

  9. #19
    Newbie nemoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    914.ny
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    I bought an VoomPC2 case as well, and it had a molex cable to connect power and amp lines. Well I just assumed the molex to be good as it was brand new, but apparently there was a strand of wire from the amp+ to amp- wires, so that plugged into my M2. Gave it power, and immediately smoke. The amp+ and amp- lines fused together and melted the entire wire, blackening the molex. The only damage was to the M2's SDC and amp turn on. The power regulation still works fine.

    So for being shorted with who knows how many amps, and not completely dieing or taking my new mobo/ram/cpu/hd is good.

    Just dont overload the M1/M2/M3 and it will work as it should. Like I said, that M2 was 2 years old and still kicking, and died due to a new case with a bad connector.
    Does the M3 fit inside of the VoomPC2 case with no problems? I am looking into that set up.

  10. #20
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    lose the AC-DC PSU and the "M3-ATX". The M3 is a piece of crap.
    That was from last year about May '07. But that was a different M3-ATX (one that retained use of the A/C power supplies.) It's interesting to note that the other one isn't really around, and that was good advice.

    THIS M3 though looks like a good solution for someone with an all in dash computer or someone needing a compact install.

    Quote Originally Posted by blk02si View Post
    Couple Q's

    1. Does the entire PSU plug right into the ATX socket?

    2. How many Molex connectors does it have?

    3. What is the wattage available on the 12v rail?
    1. Yes.

    2. HDD, SATA HDD, and Floppy disk.

    3. It looks like @12V it's drawing 6A, so it seems it would be 72 watts, with a peak of 8, so 96 watts peak.

    Quote Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
    Does the M3 fit inside of the VoomPC2 case with no problems? I am looking into that set up.
    You might have to get a short extension to get it to mount horizontally rather than sticking right off the mother board.

    I hope I've added some good stuff for this FAQ thread.
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NIB M2-ATX DC-DC ATX auto car PC power supply mini ITX EPIA
    By ichiban in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2006, 01:00 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 12:43 AM
  3. DC-DC Car Power for Mac Mini
    By MikeH in forum MacCar
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 01:13 PM
  4. Very Small/Mini Power ATX Power Supply?
    By xBrady in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 07:22 PM
  5. More info on OPUS automotive ATX power supply
    By InvisiBill in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2002, 03:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •