Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: question for M2 expert

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56

    question for M2 expert

    I been testing this psu using Asus mobo on test bend for a month. out of a month, I got a couple time the system wouldn't power up at all. The jumper was set to B position. reset main power psu that powered this psu still nothing, the led on the motherboard kept blinking (slow blink). If I remove the jumper, the system will power up fine. Do you have any idea what going on?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kenora, ON, Canada
    Posts
    62
    Do you have both the ACC+ (switched 12V+) and 12V+ (Constant) connected to your desk PSU? sounds like its not turning on properly when doing auto startup/shutdown. I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use the jumpers when bench testing the PSU..not sure why...maybe search around for it? anyone that can back this up?

  3. #3
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    If you don't use one of the jumper setings, the SDC gets desactivate.

    Thanatos.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

    Nissan Aux-in MOD


    Quote Originally Posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by brendonius View Post
    Do you have both the ACC+ (switched 12V+) and 12V+ (Constant) connected to your desk PSU? sounds like its not turning on properly when doing auto startup/shutdown. I read somewhere that you're not supposed to use the jumpers when bench testing the PSU..not sure why...maybe search around for it? anyone that can back this up?
    Yes I have both wires connected. I also put switch on ACC line to simulate ignition. Everything working fine, this only happen twice during 1 month of bench test. I'd like to know what does led blinking on the mobo mean. Thanks

  5. #5
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    This seems like symptoms of a timing issue on the M2-ATX. But that is just my guess, so dont take my word for it. I seem to be having such issues as well, but only when it gets down to -20C. These timing issues were supposed to be resolved in the newer versions of the M2-ATX, but I am not certain. If you do some searching on "M2-ATX timing" you will see that two proposed fixes are to change a certain capacitor on the M2-ATX or reprogramming the PIC chip. I am trying to resolve these issues myself, so I dont exactly know how to fix it.

    Here is a post of the PIC issue:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...hing-mobo.html

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    This seems like symptoms of a timing issue on the M2-ATX. But that is just my guess, so dont take my word for it. I seem to be having such issues as well, but only when it gets down to -20C. These timing issues were supposed to be resolved in the newer versions of the M2-ATX, but I am not certain. If you do some searching on "M2-ATX timing" you will see that two proposed fixes are to change a certain capacitor on the M2-ATX or reprogramming the PIC chip. I am trying to resolve these issues myself, so I dont exactly know how to fix it.

    Here is a post of the PIC issue:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...hing-mobo.html
    how do I know which version I have? I got it 1 month ago. I have read those post too, don't know exactly what happen in my case. If this is the timing issue then I have to do some more reading regarding to this topic. Thanks

  7. #7
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am just as lost as you are on this issue. Your problem really does sound like a timing issue, but you should do more reading yourself because you can best make that judgement. If anyone knows how to determine which version our M2-ATXs are, information would really be appreciated.

    These M2-ATXs seem to have many issues, whether it is timing, or frying people's motherboards. I emailed Andrei (the designer of the M2-ATX) and he just said it was a problem with the motherboard/ram and that I should just return the psu if I wasnt happy with it. He did not provide any more technical details on how we can potentially fix our M2-ATXs, so I guess we are on our own here.

    Since your M2-ATX is fairly new, the timing issues (if that is what is going wrong) probably are not due to the capacitor because the capacitors should have been replaced in the newer models. However, the PIC code issue still may be valid because I see no one mention whether that has been fixed or not. Perhaps that is the source of your problems? But it seems strange that your setup would randomly not work. I dont suppose by any chance that in the times that your system does not powerup, you are running it in low temperatures? Did anything change?

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,237
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey I dont suppose you could stick a multimeter on the 12 volt rail on the M2-ATX and measure it when your board fails to post? According to this thread, apparently some motherboards may have problems if the 12volt rail "overshoots":

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...tx-jetway.html

    If the problem is indeed that the M2-ATXs are overshooting the 12volt rail, then perhaps an inline voltage regulator could be built to resolve this issue.

  9. #9
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by nobb View Post
    Hey I dont suppose you could stick a multimeter on the 12 volt rail on the M2-ATX and measure it when your board fails to post? According to this thread, apparently some motherboards may have problems if the 12volt rail "overshoots":

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...tx-jetway.html

    If the problem is indeed that the M2-ATXs are overshooting the 12volt rail, then perhaps an inline voltage regulator could be built to resolve this issue.
    Thanks for the link and the help. appreciated. Okay this problem getting more often now. last night it happened a few time in the row, imagine if this happen in the car. I will break this thing in no time. I read somewhere they implemented new capacitor to c35, how to find out I have that on my m2? what other solution for this? I search I read most of the post regarding to m2 in this forum. most have successfully fix it by changing capacitor. I went to store yesterday to get the cap that listed on here, they asked me which voltage? does anybody know? Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. heavy-duty OBD standards support question
    By Michael2006 in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 04:13 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
  3. Forum Etiquette
    By Enforcer in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 05:58 PM
  4. Paint And Polish Question
    By gboy in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 07:22 PM
  5. FM Card Question....
    By Superbike1k in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 09:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •