View Poll Results: What motor would be the best to power my go kart?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Electric motor

    21 53.85%
  • Air compressed motor

    18 46.15%
Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 628

Thread: Solar panels?

  1. #161
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post


    Good that we'll be seeing you in the underworld!


    But yeah +1 for pics.

    I actually suggest starting a worklog once you get going: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/

    Take pictures as you go
    Sad to say it would probably be the #1 work log and "show off your ride" of the site.

    Just pictures of the yellow glob with black flakes in it. People show up and not have a clue why everyone is saying "Great job!" "Cool Ride", "How do you do that fantastic fab work?!", etc.
    My opinion is my own.

  2. #162
    Started best thread ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post


    Good that we'll be seeing you in the underworld!


    But yeah +1 for pics.

    I actually suggest starting a worklog once you get going: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/worklogs/

    Take pictures as you go
    how do i know exactally how long to keep it in the oven?
    and could i let it dry without being in the oven?

    where can i get the epoxy again?
    hardware store?

  3. #163
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Hardware store will have epoxy, but the best quality stuff with the best performance is sold at drug stores. It's a type of epoxy called 'Astroglide' because the performance is so slick. It's very heat sensitive, so you'll want to monitor the chemical reaction with a thermometer. The most sensitive cheap ones are baby ones (because they have such precision fevers).

    Also, for the Solars, you might alternately use bananas instead of flowers, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have very many daisies.

    When applying epoxy, it's important to wear gloves to protect your skin, so ask your parents to go to the store and get you some astroglide, a bunch of big bananas, a baby thermometer, and rubber gloves.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

  4. #164
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    in the oven, the paste will start to get shiny, this is when the top coat starts to liquify, exactly 30 seconds after that (have a timer ready) it will start to turn hazy. That's when you have to take it out. Don't forget to wear hot-pad gloves, and keep your windows open, the chemicals in the paste can be toxic if not handled right.

    Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before you touch it.

    The lexan body will need to be completely covered for it to work correctly, any exposed lexan will melt and ruin the entire process. it's got to be at least 1/8th inch thick to properly insulate the lexan too.

    The thermometer needs to not be digital too, that will mess with the thermoreactions.
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  5. #165
    SD beats everything. So there. danielkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy View Post
    Hardware store will have epoxy, but the best quality stuff with the best performance is sold at drug stores. It's a type of epoxy called 'Astroglide' because the performance is so slick.

    Also, for the Solars, you might alternately use bananas instead of flowers, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have very many daisies.

    When applying epoxy, it's important to wear gloves to protect your skin, so either go down to the store (or ask your parents to) and get astroglide, a bunch of big bananas, and some rubber gloves.
    Stop it! This one got me rolling. I'm at work and people are looking at me funny. There is no WAY to explain this to anyone.

    He should also pick that particular time to tell his folks "I want a puppy too!"
    My opinion is my own.

  6. #166
    Started best thread ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
    in the oven, the paste will start to get shiny, this is when the top coat starts to liquify, exactly 30 seconds after that (have a timer ready) it will start to turn hazy. That's when you have to take it out. Don't forget to wear hot-pad gloves, and keep your windows open, the chemicals in the paste can be toxic if not handled right.

    Let it cool for at least 30 minutes before you touch it.

    The lexan body will need to be completely covered for it to work correctly, any exposed lexan will melt and ruin the entire process. it's got to be at least 1/8th inch thick to properly insulate the lexan too.

    The thermometer needs to not be digital too, that will mess with the thermoreactions.
    do i have to have it in the oven though or can i let it dry without?

  7. #167
    Raw Wave Rob Withey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy View Post
    When applying epoxy, it's important to wear gloves to protect your skin, so ask your parents to go to the store and get you some astroglide, a bunch of big bananas, a baby thermometer, and rubber gloves.

    It gets funnier.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

  8. #168
    Started best thread ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    That is why you have to watch it. For the first 5 to 10 minutes, the solar panel paste will absorb most of the heat and begin to join making 1 big solar panel. After it starts to melt into one, it is done. If you let it go too long, it will get too hot and start to melt the plastic.

    The top body part should come off of your car. So it is just the shell with the paste on it.

    To protect the underside of it, do it on a cookie sheet or something like tinfoil to prtect the underside of the car (since it doesnt have paste on it so it more succeptable to burns).
    w8 do you mean put tin foil on the underneath of the car so the tin foil is hitting the plastic?
    or just have it sitting on the tin foil?

  9. #169
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausi319 View Post
    do i have to have it in the oven though or can i let it dry without?
    It needs about 450F to 550F (depending on the quality of solars extracted) to liquify them enough to bond them together.

    How you get the heat is up to you. You can use a flame torch, but you would have to be very careful as direct flames will ruin it. The oven is the safest.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  10. #170
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausi319 View Post
    w8 do you mean put tin foil on the underneath of the car so the tin foil is hitting the plastic?
    or just have it sitting on the tin foil?
    Sort of crush up the aluminum foil and shove it up your underside to plug the hole.




    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Similar Threads

  1. Solar power
    By 20mg in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
  2. Solar Panel(s) as power while car is off
    By mattst88 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 12:37 PM
  3. Solar Panels
    By Rocky388 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 12:38 PM
  4. solar panels for dead batteries??
    By kelseymonster in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
  5. What about solar panels?
    By Deep in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 04:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •