Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Brainstem + DSATX help

  1. #1
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024

    Brainstem + DSATX help

    I'm totally lost how to communicate with my brainstem and dsatx.
    I have connected the brainstem to the serial port and the dsatx, and i have a red light and a yellow light, one of them is blinking.

    From reading the manual, and related threads, i figure you have to use comfoolery and hyperterminal somehow.
    So i downloaded comfoolery, and set to the follow:
    9600 Baud, 8 Data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit, and no flow control
    TCP setting: 9090 and 9091
    Comfoolery would show COM1 open, and TCP/IP port 9090, 9091 open
    But it does not show data port 127.0.0.1

    then i went into hyperterminal and entered my area code at the wizard,
    then i create a new connection and gave it a random name
    then i set the same setting as i did on comfoolery: 9600 Baud, 8 Data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit, and no flow control
    TCP setting: 9090 and 9091
    then it tells me COM1 is being used by another program.

    If i use hyperterminal alone without comfoolery, i can connect to com1 port, but i get a blank screen and i can't type anything nor see the lines that dsatx should spit out.

    Please help me make this thing work!
    thanks!

    PS. also have a question for anyone who leaves the brainstem connected, does it drain your battery at all?

  2. #2
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    after digging around, i've progess further.
    I've used comfoolery and set it to the same setting as above, the only difference is i connect hyperterminal using TCP at address 127.0.0.1 and port 9091 ,
    now i get the client list on comfoolery to say 127.0.0.1, but i see nothing in hyperterminal, although it saids that it's connected.

    So, is it my brainstem connection thats wrong , or is it because i don't have my ethernet enabled in bios?

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    _Dejan_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    570
    I don't know why you need serial over ethernet?

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    I have no idea either, i really am stabbing in the dark for this one.

  5. #5
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky View Post
    I'm totally lost how to communicate with my brainstem and dsatx.
    I have connected the brainstem to the serial port and the dsatx, and i have a red light and a yellow light, one of them is blinking.

    From reading the manual, and related threads, i figure you have to use comfoolery and hyperterminal somehow.
    So i downloaded comfoolery, and set to the follow:
    9600 Baud, 8 Data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit, and no flow control
    TCP setting: 9090 and 9091
    Comfoolery would show COM1 open, and TCP/IP port 9090, 9091 open
    But it does not show data port 127.0.0.1

    then i went into hyperterminal and entered my area code at the wizard,
    then i create a new connection and gave it a random name
    then i set the same setting as i did on comfoolery: 9600 Baud, 8 Data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit, and no flow control
    TCP setting: 9090 and 9091
    then it tells me COM1 is being used by another program.

    If i use hyperterminal alone without comfoolery, i can connect to com1 port, but i get a blank screen and i can't type anything nor see the lines that dsatx should spit out.

    Please help me make this thing work!
    thanks!

    PS. also have a question for anyone who leaves the brainstem connected, does it drain your battery at all?
    OK what are you trying to do?

    All you need is hyperterminal. There are some web apps that may use comfoolery, but it isn't required for hyperterminal.

    I also use TeraTerm, you may have more luck with that.

    Basically go into hyperterminal, choose your com port for 9600 8,1,n and you're good to go, type capitol F and capitol Letter O (oh) and see if you get feed outputs.

    You need to have your DSATX not be in sleep, so putting it into dumbpsu mode, or keeping more than 11 -12 volts on Vin And ACC will provide the best results..
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    that's what ive been doing, with hyperterminal alone, but i dont see any text coming out. i think must have mess up the wire connect.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    _Dejan_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky View Post
    that's what ive been doing, with hyperterminal alone, but i dont see any text coming out. i think must have mess up the wire connect.
    Maybe you are wrong connect your Brainstem(You are turn it for 180)... Did you read manual? Did you try in hyperterminal write: "F" letter? You must write "F" and not "f"...

    Few commands:
    E: Enable Writing Parameters (Allows the below commands to work)
    P: Enter Program Mode
    D: Load Factory Defaults
    O: Stop the printing of the serial diags (Feed Off)
    F: Continue the printing of the serial diags (Feed On)
    Z: Set the shutdown counter to 2 seconds (basically cause a shutdown)
    @: Force a power button press, shutdown or startup.
    G: (Advanced Feature) Get Parameter
    S: (Advanced Feature) Set Parameter

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks everyone for your patience, but its still not working. I have no idea why.
    Here are a series of pics, to help everyone understand my problem better




    As you can see, its say its connected, but i can not type "F" or anything for that matter.




    top to bottom wires Orange, Yellow, Black, White, on both ends. If i flip it one way, DSATX refuses to start, until i remove the connection and reset.
    If i flip the other direction lights seems to be functional, but no output still.

    One weird thing i notice, is that COM1 Port is always there regardless of what is connected, i removed all usb/serial connection, and COM1 is still there.
    Is it my DSATX firmware that's not working or is it something that i'm doing is wrong? Please help! thank you thank you!

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    _Dejan_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky View Post
    One weird thing i notice, is that COM1 Port is always there regardless of what is connected, i removed all usb/serial connection, and COM1 is still there.
    Is it my DSATX firmware that's not working or is it something that i'm doing is wrong? Please help! thank you thank you!
    This is because you have phisical serial port and not virtual like you connect USB->RS232 adapter... This is normaly...
    1.) So you are try write "F" letter?
    2.) Did you try turn connector for 180? Or are you shure that you are connect it right way?
    3.) This is hard to do by forum... Maybe can help you someone in your area...

  10. #10
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    1) Definitely tried to flip it 180 degree, but it keeps shutting down the psu right away.
    2) Also tried typing the "F" as well, but it does not let me do anything.
    It's not like DOS, where i type and i see the letter i'm typing, just a blinking cursor on the terminal window.
    3) I'd love to know if anyone in calgary, AB that have a DSATX as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DSATX Brainstem
    By Rick99TAWS6 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 08:10 AM
  3. DSATX Brainstem Guidelines
    By zootjeff in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
  4. My DSATX 220w experience
    By tj!2k4 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 08:47 PM
  5. DSATX + Brainstem all the time?
    By pancit175 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •