Main power wire from battery
I'm getting ready to install the power wiring in my car for my carputer. I want to be sure I get it right the first time so I have a few questions. I have also included a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about in my car. I did do a search on google but got conflicting info or none on these and wanted to ask peopel who have done it.
- What do I need to connect to the battery? Can I just use a normal ring terminal under the bolt on the top of the battery clamp?
- Is there anything I need to worry about or be careful of when I drill through the firewall?
- What should I do make a grommet to protect the wire and prevent water from leaking in?
- Should I cover the power wire with black protective tubing while under the hood like the other wires?
- After I get to the trunk, what is the best way to ground every thing? Any way I can do this with out putting any holes through the body of the car to the outside?
- Any thing else I should know?
I think that I can take care of every thing after I get into the cabin except for the grounding. Here is some other stuff you might need to be aware of to answer the questions.
I'm using 10awg wire fused at 30A at the battery and also after the power control circuit before the inverter. On the grounding I'm going to use two 30awg wires in parallel from the control circuit to the grounding point. This ground is handling not only the inverter's ground but also the ground for a 15A fused 12V outlet circuit and the two 10A/20hr 6V UPS batteries fused at 30A.
Here are the pics:
This is my battery clamp.
Above are pics of both sides of the firewall were I plan to drill through.
This is my palm Vx I plan on using to control my carputer. Just though I would throw it in. I got this pic with the other three before the battery died.