Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: converting a desktop to carpc - power questions

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate ABTsportsline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    91

    converting a desktop to carpc - power questions

    a carpc i have has a special shutdown controller that allows you to pull the keys from the car without killing the machine. it waits like 10 seconds before it goes to "sleep" or shuts down. alternatively, when i turn the car on, it powers up or "wakes up" in like 10 seconds. this is a lot faster than my desktop turns on and turns off.

    what do i have to change with regards to power supply or power regulators to make it perform like this? this will be powered by a generator on an RV, so it will be 110v AC. how can i accomplish this?

    thanks!
    <.>

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    58
    Plug it in using the PSU that your desktop came with?

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate ABTsportsline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    91
    ok, well i guess i'm not making myself clear enough.

    the power configurations on the carpc in my car and the desktop power supply are different. the carpc version uses a laptop-style wake & sleep method which allows for quick wake/reboot times and safe shutdown by itself. my desktop does not. it takes 2 minutes to boot and if i just pulled the power, it might crash & damage the drives.

    i want the desktop to perform like the carpc (or laptop, for lack of a better description). do i need to change power supplies, or is this some external unit i add on, or is this configured in some sort of setup options, what?

    thanks in advance
    <.>

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    58
    Radio shack offers a converter for about $90 that takes 120 AC to 13.5 DC at something like 15 amps (plenty of power for what you would need I assume...)
    and after that run a normal intelligent DC-DC PSU.

    But wouldn't it be just as easy and more economical to run off the cars DC battery and just not use that inverter? because your just gunna have to take it back to DC?

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTsportsline View Post
    a carpc i have has a special shutdown controller that allows you to pull the keys from the car without killing the machine. it waits like 10 seconds before it goes to "sleep" or shuts down. alternatively, when i turn the car on, it powers up or "wakes up" in like 10 seconds. this is a lot faster than my desktop turns on and turns off.

    I'd like to hear how this is accomplished. Would come in very handy for me, as I use my laptop - And putting it to sleep via the touchscreen is great, but to wake it up I need to undo my rear seats, unlock the container I made for it, pull laptop out, open laptop, and push power button.

    How did you accomplish this? Some sort of special relay + software?

  6. #6
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTsportsline View Post
    ok, well i guess i'm not making myself clear enough.

    the power configurations on the carpc in my car and the desktop power supply are different. the carpc version uses a laptop-style wake & sleep method which allows for quick wake/reboot times and safe shutdown by itself. my desktop does not. it takes 2 minutes to boot and if i just pulled the power, it might crash & damage the drives.

    i want the desktop to perform like the carpc (or laptop, for lack of a better description). do i need to change power supplies, or is this some external unit i add on, or is this configured in some sort of setup options, what?

    thanks in advance
    The power supply has nothing to do with it.
    It's the features in the BIOS, which is part of the motherboard. If you go into the BIOS settings (usually by pressing DEL or some other key during POST), check the power or ACPI settings.
    If there is an option for S1 + S3 modes, select that. This will enable the options for both standby and hibernate modes.

    Be aware that not all motherboards support this. Nearly all will support S1 or S3 modes, but a good many of them do not support both at the same time. It all depends on the hardware.

    The rub is that once you have this selected, you'll likely have to reinstall your OS to allow Windoze to detect the power-saving modes avaialble in hardware.
    There may be a way to accomplish this without a reinstall, but I haven't found it.

    For faster boot times, you can use just standby or just hibernate. Either will decrease your boot times substantially.




    Quote Originally Posted by DocShay View Post
    I'd like to hear how this is accomplished. Would come in very handy for me, as I use my laptop - And putting it to sleep via the touchscreen is great, but to wake it up I need to undo my rear seats, unlock the container I made for it, pull laptop out, open laptop, and push power button.

    How did you accomplish this? Some sort of special relay + software?
    You can set your laptop to come out of sleep by using certain devices, like a touchscreen.
    There are also methods you can use to have the laptop turn on/off with the ignition. A Carnetix PSU will accomplish this if your laptop supports it and you're willing to crack the case open to wire the power button to it.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post


    You can set your laptop to come out of sleep by using certain devices, like a touchscreen.
    There are also methods you can use to have the laptop turn on/off with the ignition. A Carnetix PSU will accomplish this if your laptop supports it and you're willing to crack the case open to wire the power button to it.
    Dont wanna open the laptop case - But as far as making laptop come out of sleep with certain devices... how do you do that?

    In my BIOS I switched "wake on USB" to enable - then plugged in the AC adaptor (since it says only works with it plugged in), put my computer to sleep mode...then tried just plugging a USB thumb drive in...and nothing happened. How do you get determine which will work, and which wont? Is there any sort of software?

  8. #8
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Do some searching on the forums.
    There are a number of methods including use of Wake-on-LAN and Wake-on-Ring. One of the members here developed a piece of hardware to enable turn-on of a laptop.

    I don't use a laptop setup, so I don't have all the answers, but I have seen them on the forums.


    I'd also like to know why you chose to hijack this thread about configuring desktop hardware with your questions about startup/shutdown of a laptop.
    Granted, I contributed by replying to you, so I'm at fault as well.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post

    I'd also like to know why you chose to hijack this thread about configuring desktop hardware with your questions about startup/shutdown of a laptop.
    Granted, I contributed by replying to you, so I'm at fault as well.
    The OP had said something in his original post that I was curious about, so I decided to ask.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 115
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 04:54 AM
  2. VW Jetta
    By dMand in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 06:02 AM
  3. Carpc or Carputer Complete Guide
    By smhussain in forum Newbie
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM
  4. 2007 Ford Fusion Carputer (version 2.0)
    By FusionFanatic in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
  5. Few specific acura/bose CARPC Questions for all you pros
    By ascendotuum in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 09:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •