Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Inverter - why is it a bad idea?

  1. #1
    Newbie phoTToniq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    54

    Inverter - why is it a bad idea?

    Can someone explain to me why using an inverter for a car computer is a bad idea? One major advantage is that i could use the computers existing power supply and i could use the computer in my house when i wanted to. I have been told on several occassions that it is not a good way to go but i never really understood why.

    *EDIT* From my searching the forum the main problem seems to be noise. However I thought you could elminiate this with proper grounding.

    Thanks in advance,
    P.

  2. #2
    jol
    jol is offline
    FLAC jol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Mellansel, Sweden
    Posts
    1,299
    Any converting circuit is not 100% effective, and using a inverter would give you this:

    12unregulated->110/230->12regulated->to psu->12,5,3.3 and so on

    instead of 12 unregulated->psu->12regulated->12,5,3.3

  3. #3
    Newbie phoTToniq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by jol
    Any converting circuit is not 100% effective, and using a inverter would give you this:

    12unregulated->110/230->12regulated->to psu->12,5,3.3 and so on

    instead of 12 unregulated->psu->12regulated->12,5,3.3
    so whats wrong with that though? What you get out at the end is the same. I'm not saying you are wrong - just trying to understand what the downside is.
    P.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by phoTToniq
    so whats wrong with that though? What you get out at the end is the same. I'm not saying you are wrong - just trying to understand what the downside is.
    P.
    Basically less efficient, your battery will die quicker. Also your PC will reboot when you start your engine.

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  5. #5
    Raw Wave Defiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Temple Terrace, Fl.
    Posts
    2,647
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPrince
    Also your PC will reboot when you start your engine.
    Not if your electrical system is working correctly...I have no reboots with mine.

    I don't mind using one myself. I think the idea of more wires, another thing to turn on, and the efficiency issue is what may turn people off.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    68
    I'm using a 600 watt inverter (filtered modified sine) and I'm not getting any noise and my PC doesn't reboot when I start my engine.

    I also like the fact that I have AC and can use other things in the vehicle. Using a DC power supply for your PC is good, but if you want to power AC things, you'd still need an inverter. That's why I went with the inverter, maybe not as efficient but definitely all around more useful IMO..

    Just my .2 cents...

    TiTUS

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    170
    I think what the post above is saying is that when the input voltage to the inverter varies (12-16v) the output also varies (~110-~130v for example) and your equipment may not like a varying voltage. I would think the output of the inverter would be regulated, but I am not sure...
    -AL
    * 2000 Ford Expedition
    * EPIA M10000/512 meg RAM, Win XP PRO, 90w OPUS, 80 gig HD
    * TM-710VGT LCD, Wireless mouse, keyboard
    * M-Audio Sound Card, 2 Alumapro 10" subs, 2 PPI Amps (1kW)

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    68
    Here's the specs for my inverter. Which seems to work very well. It does seem that the output voltage varies by about 10%.

    Superex Brand Name

    Max continuous Power = 600W
    Output surge = 1800W
    AC output = 115V plus/minus 10%
    no load current draw = <0.95A
    efficiency = 90%
    input voltage = 10 to 15 V
    low voltage alarm = 10.5 V
    low voltage shutdown = 10 V
    waveform = filtered modified sine wave

    TiTUS

  9. #9
    Newbie phoTToniq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by phoTToniq
    Can someone explain to me why using an inverter for a car computer is a bad idea? One major advantage is that i could use the computers existing power supply and i could use the computer in my house when i wanted to. I have been told on several occassions that it is not a good way to go but i never really understood why.

    *EDIT* From my searching the forum the main problem seems to be noise. However I thought you could elminiate this with proper grounding.

    Thanks in advance,
    P.
    They have one on sale at www.maplin.co.uk on the front page. It's 300w. What do you guys think of that one?

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate Pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
    Posts
    60
    hmmm, I think using a inverter is a good, Cheep Way. Of course price goes up as the inverter power, and capabilities go up. Like Filtering. But Its more wires, and more heat, and makes the system bigger. I think a nice fat 4 Gauge power Wire, With a nice inline Fuse, would be a cleaner setup. and you can hook up a Remote wire ( like amps) to it, so when ur HU turns on, ur Carputer turns on. As Far As I know, inverters dont have that cabilities.

    Im probly going to use a inverter when I start to build my carputer, at first. and ill enginer it out, later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •