Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110

Thread: OPUS PROBLEMS: Please post here if your Opus may have damaged your motherboard.

  1. #51
    Maximum Bitrate none's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    586
    jcjc5555: It is my understanding that the Opus 90W unit is a brand new product. How could you have been using them for as long as you claim? And what application do you use a 12v AUTOMOTIVE psu for that is not automotive?

  2. #52
    Maximum Bitrate none's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjc5555
    First did you know that OPUS follows the ATX standard spec right down to the last drop.


    How is +12v on the 3.3v line following the specs? That would fry any motherboard, not just a VIA.

  3. #53
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    what do you think

    Do you think that you and your buds were the first the find opus? He has been around for a while. Also the 90w is not so new there SPEED MASTER. You better keep up is you want to talk like that. Also I said that I have been selling OPUS product for 5 years, I did not say the 90w for 5 years. Yes, we are an automotive pc company that has a complete solution for in car pc but we do not sell on the net. This thing with building pc's to put them in cars is a real old business. We however use ours for city buses, taxicab, limo, etc and many more fields. We sell cases of product to companies and not 1 or 2 on the web. As for as non- auto motive use I would like to tell you but we as a company do not spread you info on the web because larger companies will take the ideas that we have been doing to make a living for the last 5 years. I hope can understand that. Same selling on the web when you have a few new ideas is not good until you can be large enough to compete with all the companies who will rip you off


    Sorry to be so direct with every one but I was tired last night and just a little ****ed that people are talking bad about a product that we seem to not have any trouble with.


    And no, I am not lying. It takes to much time to remember lies






    Quote Originally Posted by none
    jcjc5555: It is my understanding that the Opus 90W unit is a brand new product. How could you have been using them for as long as you claim? And what application do you use a 12v AUTOMOTIVE psu for that is not automotive?

    I think you are lying.

  4. #54
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    12 on the 3

    I have not seen that yet. I am not saying that OPUS never could have A bad part but what is he bought some components for building psu's and got some bad parts his self. Defects can be bad parts not bad design. However I am saying since all of the psu are not bad then that must mean that the board layout and design must be good. Remember OPUS only designs and assembles they do not manufacture every part on the board.

    I will find out just how many psu came back to opus and I will let you all know how many were bad compared to how many were good. I think i can get more info then you boys.




    Quote Originally Posted by none
    How is +12v on the 3.3v line following the specs? That would fry any motherboard, not just a VIA.

  5. #55
    Maximum Bitrate none's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjc5555
    I have not seen that yet.


    Then why are you bashing so passionately if you haven't even read all the facts that have been posted?



    .

  6. #56
    Constant Bitrate henkbliek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    172
    No matter how you look at this problem, a power supply should never blast a mainboard away using unsympatique methods like putting 12V (input?) on the 3V3 rail. If the mainboard is somehow not following ATX specification/recommendation then the worst thing that should happen is that the PSU stays in protection. In that context it does not matter how much someone is overloading or abusing the power supply.

  7. #57
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    i have read the facts

    I hope that every understands my point. DO not talk be about a company just because 10 people may have had a problem because you will deter others how may want to try the product. If no one buys from OPUS how are they supposed to make money and follow the business? The web can hurt a mid size company really bad with bad press.

    Thatís all I am saying people

    Later




    Quote Originally Posted by none
    Then why are you bashing so passionately if you haven't even read all the facts that have been posted?



    .

  8. #58
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    someone with a brian

    Yes you are right.

    But as I said on my last reply. There was an onboard chip issue. Protection circuitry is in place but the spec on a part that was use was not exact. So it has been repaired. All I am saying is Use the forums to help people and not to kick people in the *** that is just trying to give us all what we originally needed.

    GOOD DAY SPEED READER








    Quote Originally Posted by henkbliek
    No matter how you look at this problem, a power supply should never blast a mainboard away using unsympatique methods like putting 12V (input?) on the 3V3 rail. If the mainboard is somehow not following ATX specification/recommendation then the worst thing that should happen is that the PSU stays in protection. In that context it does not matter how much someone is overloading or abusing the power supply.

  9. #59
    Newbie MichaelG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    H-Town
    Posts
    45
    I am still trying to decide on a PSU for a CarPC project. Hearing about the possibility of frying a motherboard that would cost me $160 to replace is a serious deterant to buying that PSU. Working with Opus and relaying the conditions that these problems happened in should help resolve this. If there was no liability for selling a PSU that destroys the parts that it powered then I think you would see 100 different people selling a PSU similar.

    I just hope that this gets fixed because the Opus seems to be the best option (disregarding price) for powering a CarPC. I didn't have any interest in the 150W just because I don't need that kind of power for what I plan to do so I was only looking at the 90W version.

  10. #60
    Maximum Bitrate gizmomkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Smyrna, Ga, USA
    Posts
    778
    [QUOTE=jcjc5555]First did you know that OPUS follows the ATX standard spec right down to the last drop.

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer...X12V_1_3dg.pdf
    Per these specifications I counted 3 significant non-compliant sections. (About 7 in total) and possibly 3or 4 that could be argued one way or another.
    But to say its 100% compliant down to the last drop is simply incorrect , and shows a great deal of ignorance on your part. (Witch is most disturbing when you mention you build / or plan the assembly of units for mass installation)

    Since its release in February of 2000, the only significant (imho) change is the -5 v rail, and that has nothing to do with the opus or the topic at hand.



    >It takes a while to perfect a product to work with all the types of motherboard >on the market. So if you want to be a real genius why do you test all the >mother board on the market and retest them every 6 to 12 mouths when >factories change then and add need features etc a give OPUS a list of all the >exact volts you find the are not follow the ATX standard specs.
    The voltages have not changed since the inception of the ATX Standard. (with the exception of the 5v rail, witch is insignificant because itís not used by the motherboard, nor supplied by the opus) Again - the voltages have not changed. Only the load capacity of the rail(s) and this is not in question. your broken English is implying that different motherboards (or even the same mother boards have constantly changing voltage requirements) Outside of the -5 v rail this is an incorrect statement, and again exhibits nothing but ignorance on your behalf.


    >OPUS did not build the supply so you can all go put little wood boxes in cars >with music on them. It was made for many different applications for company >who build a perfect a particular box pc etc and build multiple computers with >the same set up over and over again.

    OPUS built a supposedly ATX Compliant PSU. The PSU does not hold up to the standards SPECIFICALLY in the areas of load, regulation , and short circuit protection. Iím not even going to gratify the "wooden box" comment with a response.


    >Do you think you small and few project people can pay the overhead it takes >to run this small company
    >I have been buy from OPUS before it was even called OPUS and I have not >had half the problems that I hear others complaining about.
    >Why do you think that is? Maybe because the power supplies are perfect and >we tact the products that we use with the power supply to make sure that >the motherboard is following the ATX correct specs. Then we build multiples of >something that we know works.

    The supply is not perfect. It is a DOCUMENTED FACT at this point in time that the opus DCX3 has a design flaw that may cause it damage the load connected to it.

    >Think about what you are doing. You are building a so called car pc with all >king of old are bull **** parts that you found are bought etc putting then in a >make shift box while standing on carpet and you want to blame OPUS.
    I am in my 11th year of PC assembly. prior to the OPUS I used an ASUS main board with a Keypower DC-DC PSU flawlessly for 3 years. I have a degree in electronics, I have several certifications from networking to basic system design. I carefully reviewed the power requirements of each component in my system, all are certified to compliance with there particular standard, most certified to be windows XP compliant. All components in my system are commercially bought, major brand name products. All brand new. (including the "wooden box" witch in my case happens to be a Mini ITX form Factor Q-box)
    One of the certifications I happen to hold is from Siemens Energy and Automation (an ISO 9001 certified company) in ESD Handling procedures.

    > I know why you blame OPUS. Itís because they are the only one that might >hear you as VIA could care less and their bigger then OPUS so VIA so you >think they are perfect. Well guess again. I like VIA but I have to say that have >some crazy **** on their M/B's We read a board level at my company and >somethingís they do will really make you wonder how many drugs for the VIA >engineers take.

    VIA's HR department has assured me that they run a drug free environment.

    >You guys want to use gas breaking car motor etc and al kind of **** to justify >a ****y project you built.
    So now youíre questioning the level of competence, understanding, quality and knowledge of my work, and the other members of this board ? I donít think you are in any position to make that judgment.
    And no, its wasnít "us guys" just me, and I have plenty of other metaphors other than gas.

    >Canít agree with you on that. Gas and motors are older than my great great >grandmother. I guess we are getting good about making a providing gas and >guaranteeing it. OPUS has only been round for 5 years. Big difference right?

    The DCX3 has only been around for a couple of months - Iím saying it should have undergone more extensive testing before its release.

    in 1807 Francois Isaac de Rivaz invented the first internal combustion engine that used a combination of hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. it was a very crude design and he never made it very far with his design.
    October of 1908 is a more widely recognized date of the release of the Model T.

    The early 1970's marked the beginning of what we could consider the closest to modern day unleaded fuel . That would make your great great grandmother 34

    Getting back to the point here - Iím not looking to defame Kris or his company. I still think Kris is a great guy. He has always been open to discussion, knowledgeable, and willing to deal with any issues that have come up. and it appears he is working hard to rma / offer a fix for the problem. Thatís the sort of service I would expect; and am great full that he is providing it.

    The service aside - the DCX-3 has a DOCUMENTED problem at this time. MANY people have purchased this unit and need to be made aware of the problem.

    "DCX3 has a problem when the initial power is applied to it..." "the input may be
    Shorted to the output in this case it will cause damage to the loads" Reference section 3.4 of the ATX Standard -Output Protection.

    My posting of infromation is for the purpose of warning others, not defaming Kris. I am MORE than willing to offer Kris or any user any information I can about my board, how it failed, Etc, - For the purpose of FIXING the PROBLEM. And I do so out
    Gizmo-
    Techonlogy on Wheels
    http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •