Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: inverter packed up

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    159

    inverter packed up

    My 300 watt inverter I brought off ebay has packed up, started making some funny fan noises at first on start up then today it just reboots the pc and keeps beeping.

    Emailed the company I brought it from and they will send me out a new one on reciept of my old one.

    Great service I thought.

    So no carputer for me untill monday next week
    www.fsplanes.net NEW site

    AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


    Software:
    Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

  2. #2
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,619
    Are you sure you battery is fully charged, because that's the sort of thing my inverter does when the battery voltage has dropped too low. It's a protection against dropping the battery too low to start the engine.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    35

    its prob your pc!

    I have a 300W inverter, by Maxx or something like that, anyway, I bought it for usin with my LCD panel only, but htought I'd test my PC too. The PSU in my pc is rated at 160W output, but it is inefficient and draws up to 600W! i unplugged the monitor, and left the pc at idle, and the inverter didn't beep or anything, but whnever i moved them mouse or opened the start menu, it started beeping. This means that the pc was sucking too much, which prob happened in your case. try using another appliance with the inverer, something that drwas no more than the 300W offered by it.

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer
    Are you sure you battery is fully charged, because that's the sort of thing my inverter does when the battery voltage has dropped too low. It's a protection against dropping the battery too low to start the engine.
    Nah, its defo faulty, I have a brand new <6monthsold> 100amp battery, its a massive thing, cost 100.00 / $160.00

    My alternator is pushing out 14.1 volts so even if the battery was shagged the inverter should still work fine.

    It will only show a low voltage when the ignition is off, when the car is running the inverter is powered from the alternator and show never show low power <unless your alternator is broke>

    Ron

    It makes the beepeing noise with car running btw <>
    www.fsplanes.net NEW site

    AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


    Software:
    Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetrobot2k
    I have a 300W inverter, by Maxx or something like that, anyway, I bought it for usin with my LCD panel only, but htought I'd test my PC too. The PSU in my pc is rated at 160W output, but it is inefficient and draws up to 600W! i unplugged the monitor, and left the pc at idle, and the inverter didn't beep or anything, but whnever i moved them mouse or opened the start menu, it started beeping. This means that the pc was sucking too much, which prob happened in your case. try using another appliance with the inverer, something that drwas no more than the 300W offered by it.
    Why are you using it for the lcd panel? is it 240v only? I have a gain 12v screen and its wired direct to a +12v on my car.

    The invertor has powered my pc fine for 2 months, but recently started making noises, at max it shouldnt pull anymore than 250-300watts from the invertor, you may get a spike of 500watts for a few secs on startup, but not a continuous 600watt, there must be somthing wrong with your pc.

    If this new one fails, then I will get a 500watt invertor which peaks at 1000watt. I am running a 300watt psu with an amd 1800xp.

    I think the cold just took its toll on it

    Ron
    www.fsplanes.net NEW site

    AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


    Software:
    Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunglassesron
    Why are you using it for the lcd panel? is it 240v only? I have a gain 12v screen and its wired direct to a +12v on my car.

    The invertor has powered my pc fine for 2 months, but recently started making noises, at max it shouldnt pull anymore than 250-300watts from the invertor, you may get a spike of 500watts for a few secs on startup, but not a continuous 600watt, there must be somthing wrong with your pc.

    If this new one fails, then I will get a 500watt invertor which peaks at 1000watt. I am running a 300watt psu with an amd 1800xp.

    I think the cold just took its toll on it

    Ron
    I have an suv so i have the room to use an ultraslim desktop 15" LCD panel, which comes with a 120v plug.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    159
    New inverter arrived and all fitted ok, changed the PSU to 300 watt.

    The new inverter is great, I dont know if anyone else has one ofthese but it only switches on when the power is applied to the device, so you can leave it on indefinatly.

    All that is powered while offline is a green LED

    Much better then the other type I had that was perm powered, and needed to be switched off.

    Cheers

    Ron

    BTW my car is being featured in a magazine next month for all you uk people, so keep your eye open
    www.fsplanes.net NEW site

    AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


    Software:
    Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer
    Which Magazine?
    Pc Format I will let you know nearer the time
    www.fsplanes.net NEW site

    AMD XP 1800+ / 256mb ram ddr / 2 x 60gig hdd / Asus mobo micro ATX / GF-FX5200 / BU 303 GPS reciever / dlink usb radio


    Software:
    Window's XP SP1 / USB Radio / Destinator v2 / Mediacar / 3000 mp3's / 30 movies

  10. #10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •