Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: dc-ac or dc-dc power supply

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    8

    dc-ac or dc-dc power supply

    I'm going to be running a via M10000 with DVD, 200 gig HD, GPS, Video input card. I'm also installing a 12" touchscreen. Is it worth it to me to get an opus power supply to power the PC even tho I still have to power the touchscreen off AC power. Or should I just go with a bigger DC-AC to power both. I just need some second opinions since it is going to be about $150 or more I need to spend either way.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate GingerPrince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by edgie345
    I'm going to be running a via M10000 with DVD, 200 gig HD, GPS, Video input card. I'm also installing a 12" touchscreen. Is it worth it to me to get an opus power supply to power the PC even tho I still have to power the touchscreen off AC power. Or should I just go with a bigger DC-AC to power both. I just need some second opinions since it is going to be about $150 or more I need to spend either way.
    Why do you HAVE to power your touchscreen off AC?!

    GingerPrince

    Car changed for TVR Griffith 500, so computer de-installed. Using a Dension 100ix w/60Gb HD unit in the interim.

    Carputer Install - http://www.stuffandting.com/carputer/
    CarBox Software -- http://www.stuffandting.com/carbox/

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerPrince
    Why do you HAVE to power your touchscreen off AC?!
    Because the touchscreen is not just a laptop LCD panel it is a dektop screen. And I'm not that good at wiring,soldering, etc. to make it run off just DC power

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chico, Ca
    Posts
    315
    Where the heck are you going to put a 12" lcd panel in a celica? If you ever get pulled over I can imagine the cops wouldn't be to happy.

    As for power, it would be worth your time to learn a little bit of soldering and wiring. Both are easy if you have some basic mechanical background. Avoid using AC as much as possible but if you really wan't simplicity then I guess a small 150watt invertor will do the trick.

    At least your sticking to DC-DC for the computer which is really the important aspect of usability.

  5. #5
    Raw Wave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    Alot of poeple here do insist on DC-DC but is it really worth the hassle? The amount of power you are saving running of battery, I dont think its really that much...unless you have an intention to run something for a long time with the engine off.

    A 150W inverter efficiency is around 85%...so if you can run your PC from a car battery for 240mins = 4hours, you should be able to run your PC with an inverter for 204 mins. Is that 36 minutes of extra running power do really mean alot?

    But then why run the PC for along time with the engine off? is like having your main beam light on, heater and so on running with the engine off

    And assuming space is no object and neatness.

  6. #6
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    >Alot of poeple here do insist on DC-DC but is it really worth the hassle?

    I bought a dc-dc psu, connected it between the battery and pc, everything works - what's the hassle in that?

  7. #7
    Raw Wave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    Ahem...

    OPUS? 12V regulator? Expensive?

    Maybe not for you but theres alot of poeple out here. I dont have problem with anything electronically but Im just trying to explain to other poeple if a DC-DC is justifiable for them...just for other poeple to know.

    I dont like inverters either because I dont intend to run off anything else that need mains, and they are bulky.

    But for poeple who are on a tight budget and cant even connect a simple red/black connection...it make sense they use inverters rather than get their head stuck in a DC-DC.


    EDIT:

    The original post even say...he need an AC inverter to power off his screen. Dont make sense for him to get an OPUS and an inverter

  8. #8
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky327
    Ahem...

    OPUS? 12V regulator? Expensive?

    Maybe not for you but theres alot of poeple out here. I dont have problem with anything electronically but Im just trying to explain to other poeple if a DC-DC is justifiable for them...just for other poeple to know.

    I dont like inverters either because I dont intend to run off anything else that need mains, and they are bulky.

    But for poeple who are on a tight budget and cant even connect a simple red/black connection...it make sense they use inverters rather than get their head stuck in a DC-DC.


    EDIT:

    The original post even say...he need an AC inverter to power off his screen. Dont make sense for him to get an OPUS and an inverter
    I never mentioned opus - I haven't got one! You said 'Is it worth the hassle' not 'Is it worth the money'!

  9. #9
    Raw Wave
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,823
    I know you didnt mention it, I didnt either or have seen one in realy life. However edgie345 did mention it though...so he must be thinking of getting one.

    But isnt OPUS classed as a DC-DC? with zero hassle? How about OPUS feeding some crazy voltage into the PC?

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    8
    I would like to go all DC-DC on my car. Even though I do have a fair amount of technical knowledge I can see a large headache from taking apart my monitor then converting the 115/120V AC adapter to a DC supply and I'm on the keep it simply and it will run longer theme. Price really is not an issue. So would it be worth it just the run my screen off the inverter and the carputer off DC. And I will be putting the screen infront of the AC controls and vents offset to the passenger side. Probably on a movable arm so as if I do get pulled over just move it down and away to not have that much of a problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DC power supply...HELPPPPPP
    By walid_bmw in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 02:26 PM
  2. zootjeff's DC to DC power supply and hard drives
    By Squeezer in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 09:50 PM
  3. What are the ATX DC to DC power supply options?
    By Squeezer in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
  4. dc or ac power supply
    By qball008 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2002, 11:22 PM
  5. Need help finding an AC to DC power adaptor
    By Squeezer in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2000, 01:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •