I've spent the past few weeks searching through this site trying to make sense of it all. I know enough about computers to be able to assemble one but not enough about power to understand a lot of this.
Basicaly it seems like there are 3 criteria to choosing a system: Power, cost, and space.
I only want to do this once and I want it to be capable of doing anything: OBD-II, DVDs, mp3s, mpgs, emulators. So price is no issue.
I've been doing fiberglass for a while now and am confident I can work with any space. So lets assume space is no issue.
I've got an optima redtop and am looking into upgrading to a higher output alternator. Although I'm not sure how yet... I'm running a pretty powerful audio system already with a 5 farad cap, 2 7" monitors, 1 10.4" (to be used for the computer), a gamecube, and a few little things here and there, so I don't want this computer to put me over the top on power consumption.
Basically my minimum requirements are as follows:
- at least 250 gig harddrive at 7200 rpm
- at least p4 3.0 gHz
- at least 4 USB ports
- at least 1 firewire 800 port
- at least 16x dvd
- 2 slots that support up to 2.0 gb RAM
- good sound (in the form of a video card or onboard, whichever)
- good video (in the form of a video card or onboard, whichever)
- I don't care if it comes on when my car does. I can boot it up mid drive and shut it down before I turn the car off. No biggie.
Anyone want to help me out fullfilling this? It could mean getting your name in a mag.