Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: regulating morex 60w psu

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31

    regulating morex 60w psu

    I have morex 60w psu and (like we all know) it doesn't regulate 12v output, so I thought something like this:

    Maybe I just regulate the 12v output? (put PT5071 between psu and motherboard atx-connector)

    Would this work? Only problem I can think is that if psu can't handle ~14V that my alternator puts out.

    Has anybody tried this?

    Edit:
    This way you would need only 1 PT5071, not 4 of them... and I believe it would survive cranking...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by vvog
    I have morex 60w psu and (like we all know) it doesn't regulate 12v output, so I thought something like this:

    Maybe I just regulate the 12v output? (put PT5071 between psu and motherboard atx-connector)

    Would this work? Only problem I can think is that if psu can't handle ~14V that my alternator puts out.

    Has anybody tried this?
    i was just asking about that too... regulating 12V on a non-regulating PSU... be interested for sure!

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate SportivoWISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by vvog
    I have morex 60w psu and (like we all know) it doesn't regulate 12v output, so I thought something like this:

    Maybe I just regulate the 12v output? (put PT5071 between psu and motherboard atx-connector)

    Would this work? Only problem I can think is that if psu can't handle ~14V that my alternator puts out.

    Has anybody tried this?

    Edit:
    This way you would need only 1 PT5071, not 4 of them... and I believe it would survive cranking...
    The Morex PSU takes in 11.6-12.6VDC. Which means your regulator needs to be inbetween the Battery and PSU, else your PSU will fry sooner than expected.

    I tried out using GingerPrince's 12VDC Regulator diagram and it has been working well regulating 14.6VDC 4.6A to 12VDC output.

    Have fun
    MediaCar
    Girder with Igor plugin

    EPIA-ME6000 w 256MB DDR
    Morex 55W PSU
    12VDC Regulator
    IBM DJSA-220 20GB
    90% completed in a plastic case (8"x10"x2.5")

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate Bravellir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by SportivoWISH
    The Morex PSU takes in 11.6-12.6VDC. Which means your regulator needs to be inbetween the Battery and PSU, else your PSU will fry sooner than expected.

    I tried out using GingerPrince's 12VDC Regulator diagram and it has been working well regulating 14.6VDC 4.6A to 12VDC output.

    Have fun
    You probably will find this interesing http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Perip...ct.status=blue

    Brave
    Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
    Status -->
    Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
    BraveCar 2.5

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravellir
    You probably will find this interesing http://www.idotpc.com/TheStore/Perip...ct.status=blue

    Brave
    Thanks for the link, Brave!

    I'm building similar regulator to my psu.
    Specs on that dc/dc-board @IDOTpc.com are same as the normal morex 60w.

    So I guess morex psu will survive car battery output.(10V-15V)

    Specs for regulator @IDOTpc.com:
    Input Voltages Required (V): DC 11.0 ~ 15.5
    Output Voltage (V): DC 12.0 (+/- 5%)
    Output Current (A): 1.5A
    Peak Current (A): 2.0A

    So it only regulates psu's 12V output(1.5A, 1 PT5071 regulator can be used.) http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pt5071.pdf

    I have done some testing with fluke and I think I know where to put the regulator. (not going to put it after psu as mentioned in first post.)

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31

    Regulator completed! :)

    I completed building the regulator.

    So far I have tested it with mascot 5-15v power supply. Computer boots without problems @ 9-15V input voltage. I even tried to lower the supply voltage to <7V when computer was on, no effect!(only mascot started to make some noise, because current draw was too much i guess)

    Output voltages (12, 5, 3.3, -12) were perfect at the test time.

    I post some pictures when I have my camera with me.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Bravellir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Porto, Portugal
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by vvog
    I completed building the regulator.

    So far I have tested it with mascot 5-15v power supply. Computer boots without problems @ 9-15V input voltage. I even tried to lower the supply voltage to <7V when computer was on, no effect!(only mascot started to make some noise, because current draw was too much i guess)

    Output voltages (12, 5, 3.3, -12) were perfect at the test time.

    I post some pictures when I have my camera with me.

    please do
    Ikea Case. Epia M10000.M1-ATX. 512 Mb. 2,5" 80 GB HDD. 7" Lilliput. BU-303 GPS. Sony Joystick.
    Status -->
    Lilliput Installed (not indash yet..)
    BraveCar 2.5

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    31
    Ok. here's link to the pictures: link
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    624
    vvog, parts list? and also which pins on the regulator did those wires connect to? (schematic like pin 5 - regulator output etc)

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    624
    I noticed you copied some of the design from the ipod site, but how do you know where to cut on the morex for the unregulated +12 in and regulated +12 out?

    And how did you figure out the 2 capacitor sizes (I noticed one of them is 100uM) but what's M?

    And white Axicom chip, whats that for?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Frequently Asked Questions
    By bgoodman in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:25 PM
  2. morex psu noise fix
    By starfox in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 07:19 PM
  3. EPIA rebooting! morex 60W and MSI bluetooth dongle?
    By masch in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 03:08 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 03:58 AM
  5. What to look for in a PSU some info for you
    By cproaudio in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 01:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •