Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Keypower and ITPS

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    123

    Keypower and ITPS

    i just bought a keypower http://www.keypower.com/proddetail.a...&linenumber=15 And now i am having a brain fart. Do I need a ITPS with this power supply?? Iknow i need a shutdown controller, but im just gonna do the win xp trick.

  2. #2
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by nick9871
    i just bought a keypower http://www.keypower.com/proddetail.a...&linenumber=15 And now i am having a brain fart. Do I need a ITPS with this power supply?? Iknow i need a shutdown controller, but im just gonna do the win xp trick.
    No need for ITPS unless you want to use one as a startup/shutdown controller..

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    123
    Ok thats what I thought. If my mobo has the restart after power failure, then i dont need a startup controller do I. Can someone tell me or direct me to a link on how to setup startup and shutdown sequences withuot a controller IE just using windows and some wires.

  4. #4
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by nick9871
    Can someone tell me or direct me to a link on how to setup startup and shutdown sequences withuot a controller IE just using windows and some wires.
    If only it was that simple! If it was, the startup/shutdown controllers probably wouldn't exist.

    Power to the PSU all the time = windows shutdown but no 'restart on power on'
    Cut the power to the PSU when you turn the car off = No windows shutdown but you do get 'restart on power on'

    You need power to the pc while it's shutting down but you also want to cut the power so that you get 'restart on power on', so you need some sort of time delay (approx 1 min) after you turn the car off until the cutting of power, That's where the ITPS, Mastero etc. come in...

    Fun isn't it

    Edit: I just nicked this from another post - Inverter turning on when car turns on? - (And this is what I was going to do but I've now got a shutdown controller on it's way)

    Use a relay inline with the +12 wire to turn the PSU on/off via ignition.
    On the ignition input to the relay, use a diode to prevent +12 feedback.
    Then, run a +12 from one of the hard drive or floppy drive connectors on your PSU to the same input on the relay. You will need another diode to isolate it as well. So the PSU shuts the power off to itself when Windows has closed.

    The benefits...
    completely dead system when not in use. No discharge on your battery!
    'restart on power on' - Automatic startup! if supported by sys board.
    the power will not be disconnected until the unit has been shutdown. - Automatic shutdown by windows, if supported by sys board.



    Edit some more:

    The advantage of a Shutdown Controller is the time delay which can be set, for instance, to 15 mins. Then when you stop to fill up with gas your pc will keep running, as long as you stick the ign back on before the 15 mins is up.

    Edit: While I'm in the mood...

    The advantage of having any shutdown controller (for anyone who wants to know) is that you can put the pc into Standby or Hibernate, which means faster shutdown/boot time.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    108
    hmmm now this might work in conjunction with UPS initiated shutdown laidback.


    no relay wiring experience but this is my theory.

    12V constant into the relay input. 12V relay output to PSU 12V input. Relay trigger to ACC/IGN, and other relay trigger to PSU 12V output rail.

    so... 12V going to PSU is hot when there is 1) 12V from ACC, or 2) when there is 12V from PSU, and in any combination of 1 and 2.

    so what you get it this:
    1) PSU 12V is cutoff ONLY when ign AND psu are both off (not when ign is off and computer is still shutting down)
    2) PSU 12V is HOT when PSU is on, or ACC is on (allows poweron startup).

    ingenius if i do say so myself... to believe 3 electrical engineers said i ought to scrap the whole project cause its impossible!

  6. #6
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by cybermob2
    hmmm now this might work in conjunction with UPS initiated shutdown laidback.


    no relay wiring experience but this is my theory.

    12V constant into the relay input. 12V relay output to PSU 12V input. Relay trigger to ACC/IGN, and other relay trigger to PSU 12V output rail.

    so... 12V going to PSU is hot when there is 1) 12V from ACC, or 2) when there is 12V from PSU, and in any combination of 1 and 2.

    so what you get it this:
    1) PSU 12V is cutoff ONLY when ign AND psu are both off (not when ign is off and computer is still shutting down)
    2) PSU 12V is HOT when PSU is on, or ACC is on (allows poweron startup).

    ingenius if i do say so myself... to believe 3 electrical engineers said i ought to scrap the whole project cause its impossible!
    I'm sure it will work - I haven't tried it 'cause I haven't got any diodes (or know which ones to get or where to get them in Madrid - or even what they're called in Spanish!! )

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    108
    got myself confused now...

    the 12Vin to the PSU has to be turned OFF when both the acc AND the PSU are off.

    the 12Vin to the PSU needs to be turned ON when the acc is turned ON.

    therefore, the relay either needs to have 2 triggers, OR, have both the ACC line AND the PSU output connected to one trigger.

    something like this...



    look right? i think it will work.

  8. #8
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by cybermob2
    got myself confused now...

    the 12Vin to the PSU has to be turned OFF when both the acc AND the PSU are off.

    the 12Vin to the PSU needs to be turned ON when the acc is turned ON.

    therefore, the relay either needs to have 2 triggers, OR, have both the ACC line AND the PSU output connected to one trigger.

    something like this...



    look right? i think it will work.
    Yep, That looks like it will work to me...but, the one fault (that I can think of) with this setup is that - If windows hangs during shutdown then the power won't be cut. (which may discharge the battery)

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate carpcnoobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    565
    OK, I was thinking of something like this thread is talking about, but you've finished the work for me with the correct diodes. Very nice.

    Now, (I hope I'm not totally confused) this is with shutting down the carpc manually, correct? By pushing shutdown (hibernate) on the screen or having a button somewhere to activate the shutdown process. Now, is there a way to have some sort of relay or something send a pulse to the switch (PSU) to simulate someone pushing the shutdown button? I would like the car to be able to do this when I shut down the ignition. All that I can't figure out is how to make the computer get a pulse signal when the 12V+ from the car is killed (key turned off).

    I understand that continually pressing the button will initiate an immediate shutdown. I want it to go into hibernate mode.

    I apologize if I'm way off base. My nick says it all.
    Progress Meter:

    [|||||!||||'] 95% complete

    It's in... it's finally installed!!!! But never finished!

    "It works! It works! I've finally invented something that works!" -- Doctor Emmit Brown

  10. #10
    Raw Wave Laidback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Madrid
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by carpcnoobie
    All that I can't figure out is how to make the computer get a pulse signal when the 12V+ from the car is killed (key turned off).
    To get that you need an ITPS or Mastero shutdown controller....the other way, if you run WinXP, is to configure a UPS. When you have 12v on pin 8 of the UPS com port, windows stays open, when you don't have 12v on pin 8, windows closes down!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So, about the PW-60A
    By southprk in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 01:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •