Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Battery dead in car. Opus?

  1. #1
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380

    Battery dead in car. Opus?

    I came down to my car last night to find that the battery was too low to start my car. It's an Opus 90, and the motherboard is an Epia M10000.

    The Opus has been starting the computer fine, but I notice that it hasn't been putting it into standby succesfully. I'd come back to find the computer off and the Opus flashing 4x (which, according to the manual, means that there was an ACPI failure).

    Has anyone seen this before?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate eCarô's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    810
    Stanby will still use a fair amount of juice. How long did it sit in standby?

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    193
    It is likely that one of your drivers (touch screen, sound, graphics) is preventing the computer from being put into standby. You should try to put it in standby manually (start->shutdown->standby) to what it is. If the computer is left running it will consume battery BUT the opus should still shut the power off when the battery voltage drops.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy
    I came down to my car last night to find that the battery was too low to start my car. It's an Opus 90, and the motherboard is an Epia M10000.

    The Opus has been starting the computer fine, but I notice that it hasn't been putting it into standby succesfully. I'd come back to find the computer off and the Opus flashing 4x (which, according to the manual, means that there was an ACPI failure).

    Has anyone seen this before?

  4. #4
    Raw Wave Confused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Izik
    It is likely that one of your drivers (touch screen, sound, graphics) is preventing the computer from being put into standby. You should try to put it in standby manually (start->shutdown->standby) to what it is. If the computer is left running it will consume battery BUT the opus should still shut the power off when the battery voltage drops.
    Yep, something is stopping it from going into Standby. Probably touchscreen drivers more than anything else.

    The Opus does have a low battery cutoff, but I have found on a couple of occasions, that it is too low to be able to still start the car. You have to remember that these are designed for Police etc use (and that is the main buyer of them), where it is more important for their PC to run than the car to run!!


    Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

  5. #5
    FLAC john1701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Posts
    1,193
    I had the exact same problem. Here is what i did. Go to the BIOS and in the power settings change to S1. I am using the M10000 Epia. This worked for me.
    The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
    CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
    PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
    Memory:1G
    Drives:160gig
    WI-FI:Cingular
    GPS:IG2k9
    Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
    The Florida Meets Thread

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate eCarô's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by Confused
    Yep, something is stopping it from going into Standby. Probably touchscreen drivers more than anything else.

    The Opus does have a low battery cutoff, but I have found on a couple of occasions, that it is too low to be able to still start the car. You have to remember that these are designed for Police etc use (and that is the main buyer of them), where it is more important for their PC to run than the car to run!!


    Garry
    Could you put a resistor in the ACC line to the Opus? That way the Opus would shut down earlier.

  7. #7
    phc
    phc is offline
    Variable Bitrate phc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    300
    Yup, had this problem early on with standby, came down one morning to a battery that was around 4.5 volts after recenty setting the PC to do Standby instead of Hibernate. I discovered that the Opus low voltage shutdown was not working. Called Kris, went over the situation, he called me back a week later and told me he found the bug in the code and that I should send my unit back for re-programming. This was a few months back.

    The problem only occurs when the user tells the computer to shutdown or standby. If you leave the computer alone, the Opus will shut the PC down fine after the set timeout. I disabled standby after that so I don't know what happens when the PC is set to standby.

    Call Kris.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chairboy
    I came down to my car last night to find that the battery was too low to start my car. It's an Opus 90, and the motherboard is an Epia M10000.

    The Opus has been starting the computer fine, but I notice that it hasn't been putting it into standby succesfully. I'd come back to find the computer off and the Opus flashing 4x (which, according to the manual, means that there was an ACPI failure).

    Has anyone seen this before?

Similar Threads

  1. Lilliput cable extension, opus PSU drain
    By AutoInnovations in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
  2. Wiring Opus directly to battery, please help!
    By touser in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 01:38 PM
  3. Use this to keep car battery alive?
    By Rafster in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 02:36 AM
  4. Main power from battery
    By Sir_Pyro in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 09:18 AM
  5. System Restarts whenever I start my car
    By Blue Falcon in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-25-2001, 06:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •