Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: uSDC problems in my NSX (with pix and video)

  1. #41
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44
    I'm happy to see that this thread has led to the resolution of the problem!

    In the last month since discovering the issue with the uSDC I moved on to a 150w shuttle opus, which I recently installed and it's been working great.

    Interestingly enough the inverter really was a pita, as it was causing another problem that was solved by swapping in the Opus. I have a Xenarc 700TSV, running off the accy line of the car. When the engine was off, it worked great, with the computer running off the inverter. However, with the engine on, the screen would lose sync very often, and behave very strangely in an unviewable manner. The touchscreen still worked though, even with no video displayed. After a lot of playing around to determine the cause, I figured that this was due to a voltage drift caused by the alternator when the car was running, and had planned to power the Xenarc by the Opus to solve the issue. However, I noticed that as soon as I swapped in the Opus and pulled the inverter, my screen issues dissappeared! Wonderful!

    Presumably others are running displays from pc's running off inverters, so this may not be a universal case, but one to watch out for!

    I may still end up using the uSDC to control power to the OPUS, as I'm not sure I like the idea of soft power running to the MB at all times, draining the battery. Jeff, would you (can you?) say that the uSDC draws more or less current during power-down mode than the Opus connected to an atx mobo in hibernate/power off mode? The other use would be as a fail-safe for the opus, in case the PC doesnt shut down properly for some reason. I know the Opus has a mode that shuts off the pc when the voltage drops, but I dont know if that just sends the ATX pulse to turn it off or if it actually cuts the power.. I really don't want to have a dead battery!

    -Josh

  2. #42
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshiwashy
    . Jeff, would you (can you?) say that the uSDC draws more or less current during power-down mode than the Opus connected to an atx mobo in hibernate/power off mode? The other use would be as a fail-safe for the opus, in case the PC doesnt shut down properly for some reason. I know the Opus has a mode that shuts off the pc when the voltage drops, but I dont know if that just sends the ATX pulse to turn it off or if it actually cuts the power.. I really don't want to have a dead battery!

    -Josh
    Josh,

    The uSDC draws much less power than the Opus in the off state. The uSDC draws less than 1mA when it is shut down. It turns off the microcontroller and puts it into sleep mode (it wakes up with activity on ACC). I am using a very low Power Regulator to get the 5 volts.

    I have not tested how much power the Opus uses when it is off and not powering the mobo, but I imagine it is at least 20mA just to power the OPUS, not to mention whatever your motherboard draws to keep USB, Wake On Lan, and the power button sense stuff.

    Has anyone measured it on an Opus?
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

  3. #43
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,169
    Blog Entries
    53
    Just wanted to confirm with everyone that this works. I received my unit back today and its performing just as it should now.

  4. #44
    Constant Bitrate Willy-Mach1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    222
    jeff....

    i'm partially having the problem you guys are/were having. I'm not even going to start complaining about my inverter setup.....since I got rid of the inverter and got a keypower dc-dc the issue is much milder. It works fine most of the time, but sometimes it shuts down the computer randomly (only with engine running) and the usdc led stays on solid, relay clicking. After I cut power to the usdc (shut off the car), most of the time the next time i turn everything on it works ok. Since it is pretty much random, would your fix solve my problem too? I bought mine from mp3car.com about a month or two ago.
    Progress: |##########| 99.99%
    - Tweaking and enjoying!!!! Never really done.....


    -= MachPuter Project =-
    -= MachPuter Project Worklog=-

  5. #45
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    135
    Jeff I finally got to mail the uSDC to you on friday, should be there today or tomorrow. Has a little 3m double sided tape left on it but that shouldnt hurt anything...

  6. #46
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy-Mach1
    jeff....

    i'm partially having the problem you guys are/were having. I'm not even going to start complaining about my inverter setup.....since I got rid of the inverter and got a keypower dc-dc the issue is much milder. It works fine most of the time, but sometimes it shuts down the computer randomly (only with engine running) and the usdc led stays on solid, relay clicking. After I cut power to the usdc (shut off the car), most of the time the next time i turn everything on it works ok. Since it is pretty much random, would your fix solve my problem too? I bought mine from mp3car.com about a month or two ago.
    You can either do the mod yourself, or send it back to me and I will re-program it so that it doesn't have the problem anymore.

    The other way to fix this problem is to put two resistors in place of the temperature sensor..

    PM me if you want to send it back for repair.

    Jeff
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

  7. #47
    Variable Bitrate fuctup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    269
    you got that mess in a nsx? come on man.

  8. #48
    Variable Bitrate Hark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by fuctup
    you got that mess in a nsx? come on man.

  9. #49
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by fuctup
    you got that mess in a nsx? come on man.
    Don't worry, the setup you see in the pictures was during the install when things weren't working, so of course its going to be messy. Everything was exposed for illustration purposes in the pictures.

    It looks much nicer now, no exposed wires, shuttle XPC tucked neatly in the corner of the trunk. There's not a lot of space to work with so it is tricky to keep things clean.

    I'll post some pictures later once I finish installing the amp and 10" sub in a custom fiberglass box molded into the passenger footwell. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51531

    -Josh

  10. #50
    FLAC Jahntassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Conyers, GA
    Posts
    1,417
    Does your inverter have a power switch on it? If so, here's what I did.

    Don't run the input power for the inverter through the uSDC. Obviously, that's causing problems, instead, wire a relay into the power switch internally on the inverter.

    What I did was opened my inverter, cut one of the wires going to the power switch, and put in a small relay so whenever +12v was applied to the relay, it would turn on the inverter. That way, the inverter goes straight to the battery, and can pull all the voltage it needs. You're just switching the power switch on/off.

    I don't have my shutdown controller yet, but this is how my inverter has been setup for a while..

    What I did with the relay:

    Pin 30 - One side of cut switch wire
    Pin 87 - Other side of cut switch wire
    Pin 85 - Internally connected to the ground input of the inverter
    Pin 86 - Out a vent of the inverter to switched +12v

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •