Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Clarify DC-DC vs. Inverter

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate JaymzRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    216

    Clarify DC-DC vs. Inverter

    So if I am reading things right there is currently no reasonable way to get 200W out of a DC-DC setup? Or could you make your own PSU/Mod a PSU into DC... I dont really know what I am doing in this regard but happy to learn.

    It just seems the 150W opus is calling it close, while just an extra 50W would just make the whole CarPC thing so much smoother, certainly would knock the power concern out.

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Search for Keypower 250w. Its a 250w DC-DC PSU. The only thing that sucks about it is the 60% efficiency. But we have a member working on a 300w DC-DC PSU.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate JaymzRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    216
    Thanks a million, looking into those both as we speak.

    One question that I may be able to find (though it should be an easy answer) is, for startup/shutdown it sounds like people tend to do a full shutdown. Hibernating is quicker, yet draws no power right. Now sleep draws very little power, details I don't know (it just seems like my laptop can be on it forever) so if I drive my car regularly every day is there any reason it couldn't just shutdown to sleep? Or is there no reason to have it do so?

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JaymzRR
    Thanks a million, looking into those both as we speak.

    One question that I may be able to find (though it should be an easy answer) is, for startup/shutdown it sounds like people tend to do a full shutdown. Hibernating is quicker, yet draws no power right. Now sleep draws very little power, details I don't know (it just seems like my laptop can be on it forever) so if I drive my car regularly every day is there any reason it couldn't just shutdown to sleep? Or is there no reason to have it do so?
    No problem.

    There are a few shut down controllers (SDCs) that support hibernation/standby. Hibernation is quicker than full boot. Standby is even faster, but ti draws power for RAM.

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate JaymzRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    216
    Oooo I didn't realize the motherboards available on this store had anything different from the average ones on newegg.

    But I can't find a watt requirement for any of the mobos listed, and I have search to no avail! Additionally there is no speed reading for comparison (It would be nice and simple to use a Opus 150, but I dont want to sacrifice a noticeable chunk of speed!).

    If you, or anyone has those answers it would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    EDIT: Okay a search yeilded that it looks like the 12000 is 1.2ghz and so forth, would that be correct?

  6. #6
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JaymzRR
    Oooo I didn't realize the motherboards available on this store had anything different from the average ones on newegg.

    But I can't find a watt requirement for any of the mobos listed, and I have search to no avail! Additionally there is no speed reading for comparison (It would be nice and simple to use a Opus 150, but I dont want to sacrifice a noticeable chunk of speed!).

    If you, or anyone has those answers it would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    Compare it to what over people have been running. Some people here have been runnign Opus 150 and a Athlon XP 2500+

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate JaymzRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    216
    Well it seems that the only benefit of the EPIA motherboards is the size factor and watt requirements. Seems to be much more expensive, and much less powerfull. I was hoping to do more with my CarPC so I may look more into the Sproggy PSU, not sure if I have the skills to make one of those though so not sure hehe.

    Thanks for all your help, it appears it boils down to a matter of deciding my priorities... speed, cost, size, efficiency, simplicity, etc. etc. hehe.

  8. #8
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JaymzRR
    Well it seems that the only benefit of the EPIA motherboards is the size factor and watt requirements. Seems to be much more expensive, and much less powerfull. I was hoping to do more with my CarPC so I may look more into the Sproggy PSU, not sure if I have the skills to make one of those though so not sure hehe.

    Thanks for all your help, it appears it boils down to a matter of deciding my priorities... speed, cost, size, efficiency, simplicity, etc. etc. hehe.
    Yep, exactly. Or just waiting it out for a 300w PSU (that's what I'm doing)

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate markland556's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    225
    Why not build Mastero's 250Watt PSU. I did it and with basic soldering skillz its really easy.
    96' Mercedes Benz C36 -Matte Black-
    Status..::... {##------}25%~~ back to planning

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate JaymzRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    216
    I have my basic soldering skills, in fact I am an excellent "solder'r" *beams* so maybe I will have a go.

    I saw one of the "done" pics and it doesnt look like a PSU to me lol, is there more to do or what, where do you plug in the mobo and all that crap

    *blush*

    lol

    P.S: U built it, does it work? Just have to check =P

    And I see you live in Bellevue, just an observation I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. inverter startup prob~!
    By bulgogi777 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 03:20 PM
  2. DC Inverter
    By winkelhoch in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 02:44 AM
  3. riddle me this - 5V or 12V DC to 100V AC inverter
    By 666 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. Inverter vs DC to DC
    By MattPociask in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. inverter or DC PC Power supply?
    By qdrw82 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 06:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •