Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 12volt regualtor help

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Townsville, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    19

    12volt regualtor help

    Just wondering if this DIY voltage regulator will be good enough

    http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30337/article.html

    to power this board

    http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_B-TC10000...miah_Core.html

    I am thinking that paying 300$ for this board will be better than buying a $200 one and the power supply.

    The voltage regulator is only supplying 3.3amps while the board needs a max of 5amps are there any easy changes that can be made to boost the amps coming out of it....or should it be right how it is?

    Also are the any other voltage regualtors that will power the above board for around $30 and available online in australia or in a shop in australia?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelhaynes11
    Just wondering if this DIY voltage regulator will be good enough

    http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30337/article.html

    to power this board

    http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_B-TC10000...miah_Core.html

    I am thinking that paying 300$ for this board will be better than buying a $200 one and the power supply.

    The voltage regulator is only supplying 3.3amps while the board needs a max of 5amps are there any easy changes that can be made to boost the amps coming out of it....or should it be right how it is?

    Also are the any other voltage regualtors that will power the above board for around $30 and available online in australia or in a shop in australia?
    You are going to spend $300 on a board and want to save money on a power supply? By the time you buy all the components and burn stuff, you will already have spent a sizable chunk of money that could've gone towards the power supply.

    Also, how confident are you with electronics? You asking for recomendations on the regulator makes me wonder if you would really would want to risk $300 board.

    Number one advise, buy a power supply. If you still want to make one, choose something that is not a linear regulator, since it won't power your computer during cranking and dissipates quite a bit of heat. Good luck searching.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Townsville, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    19
    There is an onboard power supply with the $300 board. There is no onboard on the $200 board. I will need to spend $100 on a power supply if I get the $200 board.

    If I buy the $300 board I will only need a voltage regualtor... I don't need a power supply.

    Hence me asking the questions. Hope that makes a bit more sense.

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelhaynes11
    There is an onboard power supply with the $300 board. There is no onboard on the $200 board. I will need to spend $100 on a power supply if I get the $200 board.

    If I buy the $300 board I will only need a voltage regualtor... I don't need a power supply.

    Hence me asking the questions. Hope that makes a bit more sense.
    Sooo... what's wrong with getting the $200 board and something like this?
    http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=67
    still cheaper and easier.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Townsville, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    19
    the $300 board has way more features and is faster...they will both need the voltage regulators but it will work out the same price after I have to buy the $200 board.

    If you can't see the logic in it thats fine...but you are not answering my question about the voltage regulator.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelhaynes11
    the $300 board has way more features and is faster...they will both need the voltage regulators but it will work out the same price after I have to buy the $200 board.

    If you can't see the logic in it thats fine...but you are not answering my question about the voltage regulator.
    First of all, the power supply I showed you does NOT need a voltage regulator.
    Second of all, I gave you my best recomendation and that's not to use the design, since you will not be able to have the computer on when you turn the engine on and off. If you are so hellbent on making your own regulator, look for buck-boost design, but be warned, the time and money it will take you to do it, can be better spent elsewhere.
    Since you cannot see the GOOD logic of what I am saying and are not entirely nice about, I am hardly motivated to help you beyond this. Seeing how I am the only one who answered so far... good friggin luck.
    I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

  7. #7
    MySQL Error MatrixPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beach City, Socal
    Posts
    4,053
    If you want feature and speed , do NOT go with EPIA setup. Get any mATX mobo and pair with AMD Athlon mobile. The mATX combination is much beter and more powerfull than the EPIA solution. PSU, buy opus150 or get some that sell down under.
    The only advantage the EPIA mobo/chip offer is low power consumption. Other than that, it is JUNK.
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 600E@750/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Similar Threads

  1. Constant 12volt feed
    By Paddymcc in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 08:59 AM
  2. New 300w ATX 12Volt Power Supplies available
    By Tank in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 02:08 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 10:01 PM
  4. How about this for the 12volt line??
    By SkinnyBoy in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2001, 06:43 AM
  5. 12volt & $300 touch screens
    By katnip in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2000, 01:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •