MP3 Laptop LCD backlight Power.. USB?
Hello all! :confused:
I started looking into an MP3 car player a short while ago and realized that I have alot of the makings under my nose.
After realizing what I have, I impulsively began reading and buying and for less than $50 on ebay
- Tecra 8000 laptop with a 10gig hd
- x10 Mouse Remote
- Pioneer reciever (takes in Changer cable)
- 80gig hard drive mounted in a mobile rack
- DC-DC Power Adapter (for car or air)
- docking station
- pioneer p-bus cable
- *free* data international 4x40 LCD display
I realized that I wanted to display the winamp info using win2k because with my laptop I could just go on standby for days at a time. I also thought I could do a color LCD display, but they are so expensive.
As soon as I began thinking about this project I came up with some great ideas.
I downloaded some software (max10) to work with the mouse remote, and I tested it and it works nicely. And the Rodeo it is gong in is big, so there are lots of places to put stuff.
- I took apart my laptop to see how the *extremely thin* keyboard was wired in and to see how the LCD display was wired in..
Well, how about just rewiring the 14.1 display and mounting it? and same with the ultra thin keyboard?
- I also got the 4x40 display and figured that I can mount it in the dash, in empty spot underneath my radio.
I quckly began to see a concern because power to most standard LCD displays seem to have pretty in-depth wiring, and I don't know how to wire mine exactly, and I am not ver familiar with circuit boards (my circuit boards class is next semester).
Most of the LCD displays discussed are wired into PC and my laptop will be removed everyday (hence a reason for the docking station). So other people can control the voltage with their PC's power.
I noticed that on the eio website there are some cheap attachments that can help the wiring process. Unfortunately, my ignorance of power, circuit boards, etc. makes this information useless to me.
My questions to you, is
- I need to find a way to convert my LCD's power to work in my car. I believe, according to the schematics:
8 reverse voltage?
Forward Current 515mA
The way I see it, the display will use the printer port for power, but the backlight needs current from elsewhere with the two pots controlling contrast and brightness.
- Will my power converter (DC-DC 15V-12V car) work? Will I have a problem with noise?
- Can I simply extend the cords for my laptop's LCD and Keyboard and mount them in my car?
- Does anyone have any strong advice for my project?
I admit my ignorance from the start, so it may be neccesary for me to understand the basics of electricity that I don't know. Please help me to understand your response with the understanding that I don't know different aspects of electricity does (current, impedence, etc.)
Thank you for any and all help. :eek:
[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Georgia Tech Geek ]
[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Georgia Tech Geek ]