Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: M2-ATX wiring question - ignition override?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    313

    M2-ATX wiring question - ignition override?

    The M2-ATX has two power connections. J1 has power to it all of the time. J3 is connected to the vehicle ignition and I suspect it is only used for signaling that the vehicle is on -- J1 still is responsible for powering the M2. Correct?

    I would like the ability to override the ignition-on. In other words, I want to be able to flip a switch and have the PC powered on even though the vehicle is not running. How do I do go about wiring this?

    Do I set up a 2-way switch to the ign J3 and when I flip the switch to one side it gets power from the IGN and when I switch it to the other side it has power all of the time? This seems like it would take care of allowing me to choose if I want the PC to run with ignition or to run even though the vehicle is not running?

    I see that there is an LED connection on the M2. I assume this is the power indicator. I do not see a hard drive activity LED connection?
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15
    You can wire the ignition wire on the M2 to a toggle switch going to constant 12v..

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9
    Dave,

    Get a 3 position, center off, SPDT switch (like Radio Shack part 275-654). Hook the center pole to your shut down controller's ignition jumper. Hook the top pole to constant 12V, and hook the bottom pole to IGN 12V power.

    Now you have a handy "valet switch."

    Flip it up when you want it always on. Good for keeping the PC on when the car is off, like stopping at the gas station, using the PC when parked, etc.

    Flip it to center when you want it always off. This is good for short trips, valet parking, etc., when you don't want the PC on.

    Flip it down when you want it to work in the normal fashion (PC on when car is on, PC off when car is shut off).

    Hunt around the forums, there are some diagrams for this somewhere.

    =caduceus=

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    202
    If you forget and leave the switch in "ON" position, wouldn't that drain your battery? At least until the low-voltage shutdown (if present) cuts out, shutting your computer down hard.

    Is there a more graceful way to handle this scenario?

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by caduceus
    Dave,

    Get a 3 position, center off, SPDT switch (like Radio Shack part 275-654). Hook the center pole to your shut down controller's ignition jumper. Hook the top pole to constant 12V, and hook the bottom pole to IGN 12V power.

    Now you have a handy "valet switch."

    Flip it up when you want it always on. Good for keeping the PC on when the car is off, like stopping at the gas station, using the PC when parked, etc.

    Flip it to center when you want it always off. This is good for short trips, valet parking, etc., when you don't want the PC on.

    Flip it down when you want it to work in the normal fashion (PC on when car is on, PC off when car is shut off).

    Hunt around the forums, there are some diagrams for this somewhere.

    =caduceus=


    Caduceus,

    Thank you, sir! No need for a diagram. That makes perfect sense. Very clever. I appreciate the response! I'll pick up the switch tomorrow.

    Dave
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by piabu
    If you forget and leave the switch in "ON" position, wouldn't that drain your battery? At least until the low-voltage shutdown (if present) cuts out, shutting your computer down hard.

    Is there a more graceful way to handle this scenario?
    You could remote locate the power LED to your dash and that might help you to not forget.

    My truck has dual batteries. I have a hunch it could run the PC for a week!
    8" Lilli TS
    MB896F Mini-ITX MB
    2GHZ Dothan 533MHz FSB CPU
    1GB SDRAM DDR2 533
    Seagate 300GB SATA150 HD
    ENGENIUS WiFi MINI-PCI CARD 802.11A B 400MW OUT
    Pioneer Slot Load SLIM DVDRW
    Bluetooth V2 USB 2 Dongle
    3COM BKP Cam

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate RawsonDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB
    I see that there is an LED connection on the M2. I assume this is the power indicator. I do not see a hard drive activity LED connection?
    Does your M2 have a hard drive? The hard drive activity LED jumper will be on your motherboard as usual.

    Quote Originally Posted by piabu
    If you forget and leave the switch in "ON" position, wouldn't that drain your battery? At least until the low-voltage shutdown (if present) cuts out, shutting your computer down hard.

    Is there a more graceful way to handle this scenario?
    I don't really understand this. The M2 is made to gracefully control powering your computer. The switch comes in when we want to have discrete control in lieu of grace.

    But if you want to keep the safety net up, you could just delay the off signal instead of eliminating it I guess. A timed relay, or use jumper mode 6 which waits 30 minutes before telling the PC to shut off (but never hardoff).

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5

    Will this work

    Will this setup work for the Toggle switch and the M2 board


  9. #9
    Low Bitrate wishbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by bridoc18
    Will this setup work for the Toggle switch and the M2 board
    No. All power should go to the "switched" power on the PS. 12v constant should always be constant on the PS. If you set it up that way your unit would never turn on because it would either get 12v to the constant PS lead or 12v to the ign power lead. That's if we're still talking about the switch mentioned earlier. The switch mentioned earlier has ONE output. So that one output controls the switched power line on the PS, it doesn't touch the constant power one.

    It's not that you couldn't do something like that, but I don't see the point unless you wanted a hard disconnect of some sort of the constant power. If you want that you'll need a different switch or possibly at least two switches.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wishbone
    No. All power should go to the "switched" power on the PS. 12v constant should always be constant on the PS. If you set it up that way your unit would never turn on because it would either get 12v to the constant PS lead or 12v to the ign power lead. That's if we're still talking about the switch mentioned earlier. The switch mentioned earlier has ONE output. So that one output controls the switched power line on the PS, it doesn't touch the constant power one.

    It's not that you couldn't do something like that, but I don't see the point unless you wanted a hard disconnect of some sort of the constant power. If you want that you'll need a different switch or possibly at least two switches.

    Could someone do an example of this in paint for me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ATX power supply question
    By dudah85 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
  2. Powerin the LCD with the M2 atx
    By luckyno in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 02:14 PM
  3. ATX POWER QUESTION ! (URGENT)
    By Mastero in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2001, 09:35 AM
  4. Wiring Question (long)
    By mtmsol in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2001, 10:39 AM
  5. ATX power supply question
    By dudah85 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2001, 10:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •