M2-ATX Problem - Fan runs but does not boot !
Installed my carputer, put my hands on the ignition key, took a deep breath and turned the ignition key while expecting some fireworks. The PC booted, I saw the boot screen and i went YES !! I shut down the PC.
But then, the nightmare began, I took the tools out and got ready to take the car for a spin. Started my car again, the PC wont boot.
The exact behaviour is:
CPU Fan runs,
No VGA signal.
Turn ignition off - CPU fan keeps running. (I have to pull teh power wires out of M2 to shut it down).
I went back in my cave to browse the problem online, came back after an hour, turned ignition, the PC BOOTED !! but then i tried it again, and same behaviour.
PC works fine when i hook it up to a ATX PC Supply in my cave.
My PC config is:
- COMMELL LV-677
- 1G 1Dimm DDR2
- 1.8 Core Duo
- Mini PCI WiFi from a broken HP laptop.
- Dynamix 816 8" LCD TS. (Using one 12v (Yellow wire) drive molex from M2 to power LCD.)
- USB Class 1 Blue Tooth Adapter.
- Windows MCE
-M2 set to 5sec/2hour jumper setting.
I talked to live online support at MiniBox.com (manufacturer) for M2. He said i need to call LOGIC supply first they have a tech support dept and that he wasnt a technical person. He said they usually issue a RMA for this. Did not know why or if this is a common problem.
I contacted LogicSupply, and the tech guy spoke really nicely and asked a few people around him about thsi behaviour. I heard them say they werent familiar with such scenerio. I told teh tech support guy that its a common problem and gave him teh URL to MP3Car.com and he said he will browse the posts for this problem. He told me that he will email me once he researches on this.
In my head:
I read a few posts about this only to find they all had a open end. No one really found or fixed this problem. Some of them claimed they fixed this problem by doing more than one thing some of them being:
1. Inverted the ATX wire ( :lol: BULL ****).
2. Inverted the on off button (:confused: May be another behaviour but not this - Part BUL ****).
3. Added a power on off button (magicword Thats not what we paid to end up like).
4. Inverted the Switched and Un-Switched (:eek: huh what? may be he put it wrong in the first place).
5. The only one that intrested me was the one who actually reprogrammed the PIC:cool: , cuz according to him before the ON signal is sent to the power pins on the MOBO, the M2 hasnt finished powering up the rails yet. He boasts about what he did but never mentioned of any procedure, or tools he used or a snippet of the values he changed. makes a lot of logical sense though.
Now taking #5, I asked my self a question why did he go through all that? what about changing the jumpers on M2 and increasing the 5 seconds recommended timing to more than that :rtfm: ? Why build a car just to try on a wheel that you have? I am going to try this one tonight when i get back to my cave. Will post results here.
If you guys have found or resolved the problem, please let me know.
O yes one last thing.. My car voltage is good.