Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wiring Questions

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma Area
    Posts
    235

    Wiring Questions

    I was wondering if I can use speaker wire to wire the power and ground to my carnetix?

    I was also wondering if I should use shielded or non-shielded wiring for wiring the power and ground? Or is there no such thing?

    Reason I ask is because I have it setup with an inverter now to test things out before putting the carnetix in and I'm getting alot of ground noise. Still troubleshooting it. It's rather odd.
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

    Dam it!

    "The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate billmee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    299
    Speaker wire is ok as long and the gauge is correct, need to know power or current requirements to recommend gauge.

    Shielded power wire is not necessary.

    The current noise could be caused by a lack of ground to your pc case.
    Quick fix run wire to the case from a ground point of the chassis; metal screw into body or frame.
    My inverter setup did the same thing until I grounded the case.

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma Area
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by billmee View Post
    Speaker wire is ok as long and the gauge is correct, need to know power or current requirements to recommend gauge.

    Shielded power wire is not necessary.

    The current noise could be caused by a lack of ground to your pc case.
    Quick fix run wire to the case from a ground point of the chassis; metal screw into body or frame.
    My inverter setup did the same thing until I grounded the case.
    Any reason why it the exact same setup didn't do it in another car?
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

    Dam it!

    "The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma Area
    Posts
    235
    I was also wondering what kind of gauge wiring I should use since I'm still using the stock power supply cable. And would this all go away if I just installed my carnetix startup controller?
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

    Dam it!

    "The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate billmee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    Any reason why it the exact same setup didn't do it in another car?
    This setup in the other car huh.
    Same HU?
    Was the pc case mounted differently... like touching metal anywhere?
    Have you tried grounding the case to the chassis???

    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    I was also wondering what kind of gauge wiring I should use since I'm still using the stock power supply cable.
    What stock psu cable do you mean? The molded IEC that came with your PC? That's not telling me much.

    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    And would this all go away if I just installed my carnetix startup controller?
    Yes this will all go away
    life, the universe, and everything... ( deep thought )

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma Area
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by billmee View Post
    This setup in the other car huh.
    Same HU?
    Was the pc case mounted differently... like touching metal anywhere?
    Have you tried grounding the case to the chassis???
    No, hes has some walmart head unit.
    The case isn't touching metal anywhere else. I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure because the pc worked in my friends car.

    What stock psu cable do you mean? The molded IEC that came with your PC? That's not telling me much.
    I am still using the stock power supply that it came with. I'm not sure what gauge it is. I was asking because everyone says I should ground my pc chassis, but I'm not sure what size gauge wire to use because I don't know the stock gauge. I read somewhere that it should be the same ground cable gauge as the power supply cable.

    Yes this will all go away
    life, the universe, and everything... ( deep thought )
    Seriously? the ground noise distortion will go away when I install the carnetix? I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not sorry.
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

    Dam it!

    "The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

  7. #7
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    No, hes has some walmart head unit.
    The case isn't touching metal anywhere else. I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure because the pc worked in my friends car.



    I am still using the stock power supply that it came with. I'm not sure what gauge it is. I was asking because everyone says I should ground my pc chassis, but I'm not sure what size gauge wire to use because I don't know the stock gauge. I read somewhere that it should be the same ground cable gauge as the power supply cable.



    Seriously? the ground noise distortion will go away when I install the carnetix? I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not sorry.

    Different cars have different electrical systems, different wires, going to different places, and of course, different grounds running to different points, with different amounts of resistance. That is why every car, EVEN AN EXACT SAME MAKE AND MODEL, can have different results when it comes to noise.

    Ground should always be the same gauge as the power wire. If you are just grounding the case of the PS, then almost anything will work, just keep it as short as possible.

    Your Carnetix COULD, but there is no guarantee that it WILL, cure the noise problem, but ground loops can be introduced with any and all equipment, DC-DC or inverters.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate billmee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    299

    Ground The Case

    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    No, hes has some walmart head unit.
    The case isn't touching metal anywhere else. I was thinking about it, but wasn't sure because the pc worked in my friends car.
    GROUND THE CASE, JUST DO IT

    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    I am still using the stock power supply that it came with. I'm not sure what gauge it is. I was asking because everyone says I should ground my pc chassis, but I'm not sure what size gauge wire to use because I don't know the stock gauge. I read somewhere that it should be the same ground cable gauge as the power supply cable.
    When you say stock power supply that it came with I don't know what the IT is, get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViViper1 View Post
    Seriously? the ground noise distortion will go away when I install the carnetix? I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not sorry.
    I was kidding.
    Your questions are really vague.
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, Ma Area
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by billmee View Post
    GROUND THE CASE, JUST DO IT



    When you say stock power supply that it came with I don't know what the IT is, get it.

    I was kidding.
    Your questions are really vague.
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    GROUND THE CASE
    I read somewhere that I shouldn't ground it to the battery. I was wondering why?

    When I say stock unit, im referring to the 2nd picture in this post.
    How do I connect my carnetix to my aopen mini pc?

    I'm sorry I'm vague. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm doing. So ask for details and I'll try my best to answer them.

    Thanks Wired btw. Can I splice the ground from the case to another ground wire running inside my car?
    "The text that you have entered is too long (12638 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

    Dam it!

    "The text that you have entered is too long (10418 characters). Please shorten it to 10000 characters long."

Similar Threads

  1. Questions about wiring a capacitator
    By Meelobee in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 01:51 AM
  2. Some wiring questions
    By gothate in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 09:03 AM
  3. Wiring Xenarc to wiring harness?
    By deftones8769 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 09:07 AM
  4. SUV Wiring Accessories Questions
    By wh0k in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
  5. Power Supply (Astec) Wiring Questions
    By Machs_FueL in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2000, 08:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •