Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: NaviVoice for PocketPC?

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599

    NaviVoice for PocketPC?

    Any chance of a version of NaviVoice for PocketPC 2003? I use iGuidance on my PPC all the time with my Bluetooth GPS. It would be nice to be able to talk to it with my Bluetooth headset like I used to do with my Truckputer. Whatta ya say?

  2. #2
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Ummm.... I have no clue. I don't even know if pocketPC includes SAPI. Also don't know if Delphi can compile into pocketPC platform. Then I don't know if the iG is the same for pocketpc and computer (which I doubt). Plus I don't have the hardware

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by 0l33l
    Ummm.... I have no clue. I don't even know if pocketPC includes SAPI. Also don't know if Delphi can compile into pocketPC platform. Then I don't know if the iG is the same for pocketpc and computer (which I doubt). Plus I don't have the hardware
    Well, I am willing to help out if you need some testing done or whatever. Not sure if PocketPC includes SAPI, or even with SAPI is or if Delphi can compile for it. I would be that Delphi can though, why couldnt it? PPC's use EXE files just like PC's, but they have to be in ARM format (actually there are 3 diff formats depending on your PPC cpu, but ARM is the most common i believe). iGuidance is EXACTLY the same for PPC and PC. The same look, feel, menu's, functionality and even voice guidance is the same. Is SAPI the speech engine? If so, PPC has to have it because iGuidance voice directions work with PPC. I have an extra PDA i could sell you for cheap, or let you borrow and send back once you are done if you want.

  4. #4
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by voidunknown
    Well, I am willing to help out if you need some testing done or whatever. Not sure if PocketPC includes SAPI, or even with SAPI is or if Delphi can compile for it. I would be that Delphi can though, why couldnt it? PPC's use EXE files just like PC's, but they have to be in ARM format (actually there are 3 diff formats depending on your PPC cpu, but ARM is the most common i believe). iGuidance is EXACTLY the same for PPC and PC. The same look, feel, menu's, functionality and even voice guidance is the same. Is SAPI the speech engine? If so, PPC has to have it because iGuidance voice directions work with PPC. I have an extra PDA i could sell you for cheap, or let you borrow and send back once you are done if you want.
    Besides speech, SAPI is also the recognizing part. iGuidance infact doesn't use SAPI. It has voices stored in the directory. When you think its SAPI speaking, it is actually just a wave file.
    So, I'm not sure if PocketPCs have SAPI text-to-speech and speech-to-commands. Plus, does the PPC have enough power to process the voice? It takes quite a bit of power to do that. That's why people notice a lag when they use VIA motherboards

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by 0l33l
    Besides speech, SAPI is also the recognizing part. iGuidance infact doesn't use SAPI. It has voices stored in the directory. When you think its SAPI speaking, it is actually just a wave file.
    So, I'm not sure if PocketPCs have SAPI text-to-speech and speech-to-commands. Plus, does the PPC have enough power to process the voice? It takes quite a bit of power to do that. That's why people notice a lag when they use VIA motherboards
    My PPC has a 624MHz CPU. Fast enough to do alot, including 3D games. IBM makes a program called ViaVoice for PPC that does text-to-speech and speech-to-text. I also have a program on my PPC called TV-Remote. It (without IBM ViaVoice installed) will take my verbal commands through any mic and control the TV. So, there has to be a way to send recognized commands to a program. I can for instance open TV-Remote and say "Channel Up" and it will change the channel up for me.

  6. #6
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by voidunknown
    My PPC has a 624MHz CPU. Fast enough to do alot, including 3D games. IBM makes a program called ViaVoice for PPC that does text-to-speech and speech-to-text. I also have a program on my PPC called TV-Remote. It (without IBM ViaVoice installed) will take my verbal commands through any mic and control the TV. So, there has to be a way to send recognized commands to a program. I can for instance open TV-Remote and say "Channel Up" and it will change the channel up for me.
    Then it looks like your PPC can handle voice-to-commands
    Still not sure if MS made SAPI for it. I beleive that IBM has their own engine for everything. And it may be done in Java, that's why it runs on almost all platforums.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by 0l33l
    Then it looks like your PPC can handle voice-to-commands
    Still not sure if MS made SAPI for it. I beleive that IBM has their own engine for everything. And it may be done in Java, that's why it runs on almost all platforums.
    So, what do you need from me? Is this possible?

  8. #8
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by voidunknown
    So, what do you need from me? Is this possible?
    I need you to check if pocket PC has SAPI, and also see if Delphi can compile for it. Because I'm not sure if delphi can

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by 0l33l
    I need you to check if pocket PC has SAPI, and also see if Delphi can compile for it. Because I'm not sure if delphi can
    So check. Is there something I can check on my PPC to see if it has SAPI?

  10. #10
    My Village Called 0l33l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    10,516
    Quote Originally Posted by voidunknown
    So check. Is there something I can check on my PPC to see if it has SAPI?
    I've got no clue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Release: NaviVoice v1.6
    By 0l33l in forum PowerVoice
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 02:30 AM
  2. MapMonkey problems with NaviVoice w/screenshot
    By organasised in forum PV Bugs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
  3. NaviVoice v.8 PREVEIW!
    By 0l33l in forum PowerVoice
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
  4. NaviVoice v.7 Release!
    By 0l33l in forum PowerVoice
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. NaviVoice v.6 RELEASED!
    By 0l33l in forum PowerVoice
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 01:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •