Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Strange characters suddenly showing up in music names...

  1. #1
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197

    Strange characters suddenly showing up in music names...

    Why am I suddenly seeing "" before and after the artist name, album name, and track name in RR?? (I'm using the BMV2 skin). Does this have something to do with how I have the ID3 Format set in RRConfig?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate tundra2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    551
    dont know why this happens, but it does. what i do to fix it:

    1) download 'id3-tagit 3'
    2) navigate to the folder with the music with the bad tags
    3) open that folder, and push ctrl-A (select all) of the songs which have the bad tags
    -if you dont konw which ones they are, you might as well do all of them cuz it wont hurt.
    4) after selectign the songs go to the menu on top to 'extended functions' and then to 'change tag ver. 2 text encoding'
    5) make sure both of the drop down menus say ANSI coding (default)
    6) click ok
    7) ctrl-s to save
    8) repeat for music in other folders

    its kinda lengthy, but it works for me.

  3. #3
    FLAC Nola111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanks a ton Tundra. I'm willing to do what it takes to fix it. The strange thing is that it just randomly started happening recently. I don't think I changed anything in the ID3 Format settings, but it's highly possible that I was drunk. (I don't drive when I'm drunk, I swear, but I DO play with RR in the driveway after a few Jack Daniels').

  4. #4
    Maximum Bitrate tundra2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
    Thanks a ton Tundra. I'm willing to do what it takes to fix it. The strange thing is that it just randomly started happening recently. I don't think I changed anything in the ID3 Format settings, but it's highly possible that I was drunk. (I don't drive when I'm drunk, I swear, but I DO play with RR in the driveway after a few Jack Daniels').
    lol yea it was weird it just started happenin to me one day and now it happens pretty frequently. at least i can fix it.

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    DuPont, WA
    Posts
    72
    Yeah, it started noticing that too. I think it me be related to adding new music the library. But I found that simply shutting down and restarting RR seems to make it go away.

  6. #6
    Newbie Doogle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sherwood Forest
    Posts
    38
    It started doing it to mine when I used a different program to edit the tags than normal, usually used winamp.
    Getting back into the game...

  7. #7
    FLAC Nomader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,291
    this happens when using unicode ID3 tags..the tags are not bad it is just that visualBasic can not handle unicode text..
    the solutions are the following,
    either
    1. download a tag program like Tagscanner, and remove the unicode tags.
    2. select "prefer ID3 v1 in rrconfig...(unicode text is only written in ID3v2 and above..so if you use v1 there will be no unicode in there, but you will miss the features of v2 e.g long text strings, more fields etc..

    the problem that arises form that is that people with foreign ID3 (greek russion chinese) are not able to display the characters correctly in either case..what i mean is if they use unicode + ID3v2, RR will not display the correctly, if they use ID3v1 then they will display coorectly but only for ONE language (the language chosen in the control panels regional settings under "select a language to match the language of the non-unicode programs you want to use" in the Advanced panel..
    so no way to have greek + russian + english ID3 all together..
    and Guino correct me if i am wrong, there is actually no solution for that, except maybe let me think....using Flash playlists and tags directly connected to winamp??? is that possible and maybe Cdrscull can inlighten us....ah by the way i might start a new thread on that

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    597
    Any updates on this?
    Nomader> did you start a new thread?

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    356
    iceman, i'm confused. why would you want to know an update if nomad answered how to fix this? (in rr config)

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    597
    He didnt actually fix this, he found a workaround. I dont want to retag all my MP3's, but more importantly, I dont know which ones I NEED to retag until they show up in RR with bad characters. Also, I think he was refering this to a new thread and checking if CdR could him him... neither of which I was sure had occurred.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Song sort order problems, suddenly
    By 01black_ac in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 03:56 PM
  2. No music showing in audio player
    By rustyboxx in forum RR Bug Tracker
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 03:00 AM
  3. Strange problem with Music Playing.
    By craigt in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 10:26 AM
  4. RR not showing my music after OS reinstall.
    By Arathranar in forum Road Runner
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 11:08 AM
  5. DISH TV music storage project...
    By claylong in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 09:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •