that doesn't do any good, i have no other suggestions other than a fresh reinstall.
First of all this is my configuration.
- RR December 07 (used installer then upgraded to Dec 07)
- LSX Void 3.3 (but also tried the default skin)
- Winamp 5.53
- English XP with East Asian fonts installed
- All MP3's tagged in Unicode, in the ID3v2 fields
- RR is set to use ID3v2 fields
The problem is that in RR, the Chinese/Japanese/Korean (CJK) track/album/file names display as squares. Explorer displays CJK correctly, and Winamp does too.
As far as I know, both LSX Void and the default skin use Arial Unicode font, so it can't be a font issue. (Please correct me if I am wrong though.)
Tried changing the Windows locale, and the RR locale, but it makes no difference.
Done a search but can't find anything.
I have done those steps already, and also tried a fresh reinstall...
Hmm... square.. now that sounds not too alien... Are you sure you have asian pack installed? How does it display in winamp? If winamp doesn't display it right, it's your system... might wanna uninstall asian pack and reinstall it... sorry, don't have better suggestion... It should just work.. plain simple... You didn't mess with any MUI files did you? l
As said in the first post.
- East Asian pack installed
- Winamp & Explorer display correctly
- Tried re-installing everything already
And no I didn't mess with any MUI files.
Also tried enabling/disabling iList by the way.
Found out what it is now. It turns out my Arial Unicode MS font was corrupted (bad CD I presume). And also the skins are hard-coded to use Arial instead of Arial Unicode MS.
Just a few observations for future references in case the newer generation faces the same problem.
- CJK displays as random Latin character = application problem, not designed to handle Unicode/double-byte character set
- CJK displays as question marks = Windows problem, East Asian language pack not installed
- CJK displays as squares = font problem, try changing the font to Arial Unicode MS or one of the specific fonts (e.g. MingLiU)
And also iList doesn't seem to support CJK properly as yet - it only displays the first 3 bytes.
I have a few Chinese album that I never bother to figure out what the problem is. I just do a manual edit them to Pinyin so maybe other can read and understand it. I have no clue what those characters mean anyway. Most of my Vietnamese music with unicode, they also display funky characters. I just remove all the Vietnamese accent mark. Without accent marks, it not that different from English.
VB support for unicode is not that good.
yea i just edited mine as well.
took a while though since i have alot of japanese and korean stuff
so no way to have RR display Chinese at the moment?