Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 140

Thread: Discussion of Standardization in RoadRunner skins, plugins, addons and whatever else

  1. #91
    MySQL Error
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,255
    there has been NO change to plugins and how they work(IN MONTHS!!!!).. ONLY expanded
    and the core functionality NEVER changed
    and its LOCKED in now
    it would ONLY expand, and ONLY if needed

    the real standards is the programming standards inside the plugins.. clean that up and done!
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

    "Did you test it in carwings??"

    Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

  2. #92
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,625
    Expanded it maybe but change it still is

    changed where they can be loaded from, how they are loaded (granted most of that affect skinners and probably end users) but it also makes it more difficult for us to then second guess where the plugin might be installed from, sometimes this can affect the plugin.


    And I don't think there is much point having a standards discussion thread ot a standards thread for plugins because the people that can effect them don't pay any attention to those threads.

  3. #93
    MySQL Error
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,255
    they can be LOADED from anywhere you PUT them, that is/was part of the problem...
    that has NEVER changed

    NO GUESSING should be done... cause computers dont guess that good... damm logic!

    if you want to bring any of your existing plugins up to "standard" and thats very loosely qouted, ill be happy to help and provide any info you need....

    the latest plug-in example is with the newest RR (4/1/09)
    which really only has 1 NEW method
    and that is to provide you with a PATH that is valid to create a dir, and store and local data the plugin MIGHT WRITE!!!!!

    if you want to make your plugin use a USER DATA folder location, which actually is provided to the plugin (when RR is in PROFILE mode) in the Initialize method

    using a USER DATA folder, is PROPER WINDOWS programming, and COULD allow a common dir, that multiple plugins (same plugin but on different skins) pull commom data. (something I love now, cause I run in profile mode)

    I dont have any of you're plugins to look at, and see what would need, if anything, needs to be updated... maybe put together a .zip file of all of them... and i can take a look

    I would love someone to take charge of maybe a plug-in guide, where things can be laid out, then its up to the indivual programmer to follow or break the guidelines
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

    "Did you test it in carwings??"

    Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

  4. #94
    The Last Good Gremlin GizmoQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    2,347
    So if I read you correctly, if I use a plugin everywhere then I put it in $RRpath$plugins; if its only for one skin, put it in $Skinpath$plugins; and for the ones used in multiple skins but not all, I guess I can create another directory $RRpath$otherplugins for the registered .dlls/support files and just put a copy of the .dlls in the $skinpath$plugins directory.

    Does this sound retarded to anyone else but me?
    HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

  5. #95
    The Curator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Blue ZX3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago area,IL
    Posts
    5,079
    Yeah G, the standards are more for "normal" users, normal being ones that don't use a ton of different skins all the time. Most pick one or a few to swap between so having a possibility that you might have say 2/3 skin loaded plugins dub'd in to diff skin folders really wouldn't be anything to worry about. You are not in the "normal" users group, you are in the much more advanced group that likes to push the limits and the limit here really is that RR is written in vb6, so there is only so much we can do to make plugins, ect as flexible as possible.

    I will also add that to me, for what you want, your proposal sounds fairly un-retarded. What you could do instead of copying those dll's to those skins, just use the ole INC,Plugins.txt for those. That would elimate the dup'd dll copies and no worries latter if one of those plugins needs updating as you will only have one dll for each plug, so no guessing which is reg'd..
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

    Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

    DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

    My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

    "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

  6. #96
    MySQL Error
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,255
    giz, and keep urself organized...

    like sub directories for EACH plugin... example (my fav plug in, ok 2nd fav):

    $RRPATH$\Plugins\RRExtended\ (files go in this path)

    or say in a skinpath...

    $SKINPATH$\Plugins\MyCoolPlugin\

    if you want to do the OtherPlugins\blablabla

    then optionally, drop the GHOST dll in the skinpath\plugins, that should work, but keep in mind, where the "data" of a plugin comes from... my guess is alot of people use app.path or something like that, vs a common PROFILE folder...
    app.path will be the path the REAL dll is registered...

    I just decieded to make a change to something i just added
    blue look me up tonight, its not a big deal at all... but it will help steer standards
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

    "Did you test it in carwings??"

    Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

  7. #97
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,625
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchjs View Post

    if you want to bring any of your existing plugins up to "standard" and thats very loosely qouted, ill be happy to help and provide any info you need....

    the latest plug-in example is with the newest RR (4/1/09)
    which really only has 1 NEW method
    and that is to provide you with a PATH that is valid to create a dir, and store and local data the plugin MIGHT WRITE!!!!!

    if you want to make your plugin use a USER DATA folder location, which actually is provided to the plugin (when RR is in PROFILE mode) in the Initialize method

    using a USER DATA folder, is PROPER WINDOWS programming, and COULD allow a common dir, that multiple plugins (same plugin but on different skins) pull commom data. (something I love now, cause I run in profile mode)

    Just had a look at this latest new method.

    I have an observation (no surprise there eh?)

    Observation

    The path you have decided to allocate is

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents\RideRunner\

    Now most applications I am aware of either use

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\RideRunner\

    or

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\RideRunner\


    wouldn't be better to use one of them if we want to keep standards?

    Yes I saw the comment by Blue that users won't be able to find the folders as they are usually hidden, but if it is good enough for almost every other development teams to use these folders then it should be good enough for us. Unless we are either suggesting that the people that are using RR are more stupid than those that use other software or we are going to put info in there that shouldn't really be in there.




    Question

    How do I switch from Legacy to Profile mode, don't seem to be able to find a setting in RR.ini or the new RRConfig.


    Request

    When making changes regarding plugins etc, it would be nice if these changes were put to the main plugin developers (I would probably consider myself one of these) for their observations first. (same would go for skins and skinners)

  8. #98
    The Curator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Blue ZX3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago area,IL
    Posts
    5,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Just had a look at this latest new method.

    I have an observation (no surprise there eh?)

    Observation

    The path you have decided to allocate is

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Documents\RideRunner\

    Now most applications I am aware of either use

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\RideRunner\

    or

    C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\RideRunner\


    wouldn't be better to use one of them if we want to keep standards?

    Yes I saw the comment by Blue that users won't be able to find the folders as they are usually hidden, but if it is good enough for almost every other development teams to use these folders then it should be good enough for us. Unless we are either suggesting that the people that are using RR are more stupid than those that use other software or we are going to put info in there that shouldn't really be in there.
    Well, if/when this starts getting used more, and one asks user to post their debug file(s), they are first gonna ask where, then they are gonna ask R U sure b/c i don't C the folder if the typical app data folders are used.


    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    Question

    How do I switch from Legacy to Profile mode, don't seem to be able to find a setting in RR.ini or the new RRConfig.
    Its actually a reg setting that enables that opt to be shown on the installer. This months release should inc a profile opt reg file to enable it.
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

    Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

    DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

    My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

    "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

  9. #99
    Confusion Master
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    If you go down to the woods today, You're sure of
    Posts
    14,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue ZX3 View Post
    Well, if/when this starts getting used more, and one asks user to post their debug file(s), they are first gonna ask where, then they are gonna ask R U sure b/c i don't C the folder if the typical app data folders are used.
    Then you have a little .exe or script that extracts it from the location it's at displays it, lets the user copy and paste it.

    Which if you're trying to make it as user friendly (or as we in the IT department like to say, iDiOt proof) as possible would be the way to go.

  10. #100
    The Curator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Blue ZX3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago area,IL
    Posts
    5,079
    Funny you mention an exe...was thinking the same, like a debug browser so to speak..hehe

    Crap...this is the second time that we agree'd on something!
    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

    Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

    DFX 5.1.1 Skin
    Appstore Link

    My RideRunner Plugins
    RRMedia
    RRExtended
    DFXVoice

    "There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •