I need some help, please. I have been trying to fix a problem with audio playback for over 2 weeks now, and I am getting no where. I changed out/upgraded my hard drive about a month ago. Then I upgraded to 7/1/09 of RR. Now I have a anoying scatch, buzz or crackle during audio playback. It happens every time I manually advance to the next song at about 2-3 seconds into the new song. Then it will randomally happen on its own during any and all songs. It happens when running RR, or just Winamp on its own. I have also tryed Foobar2000 running on its own, and the same thing. I have a Creative X-Fi card, and also a Turtle Beach USB sound device as well. The Creative card works the best, but its own software won't see the card and fail. The turtle beach software won't even load. I have uninstall Winamp and reloaded it. I know something is wrong on my system, but I don't know what is my real problem or what to fix. Oh and I have been E-mailing Creatives support, and they are of no help at all.
Right now I can get a USB sound device from Turtle Beach to work without any audio problems. But wierd thing is with both the Creative card and the Turtle Beach USB sound device, is neither hardward item's software will see their software control apps. They both give me an error when I try to run them to adjust sound properties. Its like I might have a registry problem when the software tries to talk to the hardware. This problem is way over my head. I will try to uninstall all software al remove both sound devices in an attempt to start over.
Sounds like the two cards are not getting along with with each other on the same machine.. could be a hardware and/or driver issue between the two.
I now am using only the Turtle Beach USB device. I have removed the Creative card and software. If I let RR play a song, then let it continue to the next song and so on, audio playback is fine. But when I manually advance to the next song or change the volume ( or any button in RR), that is when I get the skipping-chopping. You have talked about a hardware conflict, the only hardware change I have made is the hard drive. Can a hard drive cause a conflict like this? With the old IDE type hard drive there were a few settings like DMA and others that could be changed. I now have a Sata drive, and it shows no conflicts in device manager. But I haven't found any settings anywhere to play with to resolve this potental hardware conflict.
Yes, I did clone my hard drive with a progam called clonezilla. It is a Linex based program that is self boothing, and operates witout windows running at all. That way it is an exact sector by sector copy. I guess I will check the MSI website for any new Sata or hard drive drivers. Or see if the chip set have any updates either. I was hopeing that I did not have do a whole system rebuild with a new install of XP, but it is looking like that may be in my future.