Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Back after a little hiatus... few questions...

  1. #11
    RoadRunner Mastermind
    Auto Apps:loading...
    guino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
    Thanks guino, that answers a few questions.

    If/when something is done with the non-transparent-over-flash labels, I'll look out for it. It's not that big a deal, but since I haven't touched my skin since my CAR PC went down, anyone using the skin would have those issues.

    For the indicator thing, I was going to use rrstrings to remove the file path and extension from the filename (so "C:\Program Files\RideRunner\Weather\17.gif" ends up just "17", and in the font create each image to match up to that indicator using setvar and byvar, so for this example, "17" will refer to "G" in the custom font (0-9 + A-Z + a-z, 62 images without including special characters)

    This is a very complicated solution to being able to have color matching weather icons, but little details like this make a skin a lot nicer. As far as a possible way to make it easier? Well, maybe a code that reads the filename without the extension or folder path and creates a new variable, that's the only thing I can think of.


    Sorta noob question, I know indicators can blink, but if I have a label displayed based on an indicator status, how do I make the label blink? Example; in hAv1c+ I have a label that shows when the audio is muted, but I want to blink that label along with the paused label.

    For the preloading part, I was wanting to pre-load the weather labels so I could display little icons on the menu.skin without having to first load the weather.skin. Right now, I have it set to load it on skin start, then cancel back to the menu.skin.

    Last is there a way to code a global label or button, something sort of like /define, but instead of just the code in the button or label, having the entire line coded. This way skins that have audio controls in the same spot on every screen can change one line of code rather than having to go into each .skin and changing it.



    As far as the number of skins, there are some good, solid skins available, but I remember a couple years back when you'd see a bunch of new concepts, and a couple would make it to fully developed skins, and the known skinners would always be trying to think of new things to improve what we had available, like color changing text, overlay screens, etc.


    I know this isn't necessarily the place, but for a future feature request, I think it would be nice to have overlay skins, very similar to what the OVERLAY plugin allows, but would be nice to have full code support (indicators, labels, resizing with skin, etc.) If this were coded into the source, this might allow a little more flexibility for skinners to design overlays for GPS menus, OSKs, etc. Also, with this feature, you could have pop-up commands, and menus that are transparent that don't shrink the image to the size of the menu or pop-up.

    Again, thanks Guino, I appreciate your help!
    I'll take a look at the flash over label issue as soon as I have a chance.

    Regarding weather, we could probably add a "weatherpathoverride" setting or something like that to allow the skin to change the default weather path with one provided by the skin itself (That way you could just set a variable and be done with it). This should be a relatively simple change to do on the weather plugin.

    Regarding your /define for controls on the same spot on many screens, I think the best thing for you is to make an include file -- many skins use this concept. Basically you make a file such as "bottombuttons.txt" where you put the definitions for all the buttons you have across the bottom of the screen (on many screens), then instead of repeating the code for the buttons on every .skin file, you just add: INC,bottombuttons.txt to each .skin file you'll be use those bottom buttons. Then whenever you want to change something of that section, you just need to edit bottombuttons.txt and it will automatically take care of all .skin files using it. Note that you CAN use /define in the include file as well, making it even more flexible.

    The overlay feature has been in consideration for quite awhile. Right now, only "menus" can be shown on top of other screens, and they disable access to the screen behind it. Generally speaking this was done to avoid issues with performance and screen navigation, but we definitely have plans for adding this at some point.

    Please notice that it IS possible to make a menu popup that looks transparent to the background WITHOUT "shrinking" of the image (with the CURRENT RR versions). I have done proof-of-concept tests and it works well, I just haven't posted an example to show it. But basically you can make a full size screen (to be loaded as a menu) and just clip off the areas around the menu itself (using the "C" definition). How transparent you make it just depends on the transparency from the empty layer of the screen behind the menu -- compared to the empty layer of the menu itself. I've been meaning to post an example on this, just haven't found the time to do it.
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

  2. #12
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by guino View Post
    I'll take a look at the flash over label issue as soon as I have a chance.

    Regarding weather, we could probably add a "weatherpathoverride" setting or something like that to allow the skin to change the default weather path with one provided by the skin itself (That way you could just set a variable and be done with it). This should be a relatively simple change to do on the weather plugin.

    Regarding your /define for controls on the same spot on many screens, I think the best thing for you is to make an include file -- many skins use this concept. Basically you make a file such as "bottombuttons.txt" where you put the definitions for all the buttons you have across the bottom of the screen (on many screens), then instead of repeating the code for the buttons on every .skin file, you just add: INC,bottombuttons.txt to each .skin file you'll be use those bottom buttons. Then whenever you want to change something of that section, you just need to edit bottombuttons.txt and it will automatically take care of all .skin files using it. Note that you CAN use /define in the include file as well, making it even more flexible.

    The overlay feature has been in consideration for quite awhile. Right now, only "menus" can be shown on top of other screens, and they disable access to the screen behind it. Generally speaking this was done to avoid issues with performance and screen navigation, but we definitely have plans for adding this at some point.

    Please notice that it IS possible to make a menu popup that looks transparent to the background WITHOUT "shrinking" of the image (with the CURRENT RR versions). I have done proof-of-concept tests and it works well, I just haven't posted an example to show it. But basically you can make a full size screen (to be loaded as a menu) and just clip off the areas around the menu itself (using the "C" definition). How transparent you make it just depends on the transparency from the empty layer of the screen behind the menu -- compared to the empty layer of the menu itself. I've been meaning to post an example on this, just haven't found the time to do it.
    I'm familiar with the include file, but I guess I didn't realize I could include the entire code. This is how I came up with the text color changer back in the day (with a little help from you and maybe one or two other guys) using the /DEFINE code. I guess I didn't do it this way so I could use the SkinEditor to move and edit the buttons and labels that are common to all screens, but I can move it to where I want and copy the code into a .txt...

    Edit; as I was typing this I wanted to check if that would work, and I have my text color defined in my color.txt file, but this INC file isn't reading those variables, so the labels that I have in my common.txt file just show black instead of whatever color I chose. Can I not have a variable referenced in the .txt with the # wrapped around it... Example:

    Code:
    L201,679,11,121,32,#FRed#,#FGreen#,#FBlue#,26,"BankGothic Md BT","=exit","CENTER"
    .
    This is part of what I want to do with the revamp, for one someone wanting customization of my skin, they have the flexibility to decide what button they want where. This will also clean up the skin files a little bit, and make them a little easier to mess with. (If it works)

    For the label over flash issue, would it also be possible to look into making a press and hold exec code? (Or is this another thing that I've missed since I've been back?)

    For the menus though, even with clip it won't let you press the buttons on the screen behind it right? So for a NAV overlay, elcosmenu is still the way to go for that right? Too bad it doesn't have full support for code, but the code it does have is great. I think with some of the other features that have been implemented that are memory hogs (rrearth, dimmer, etc) this feature would have found it's way in...


    For weather, I'd want to have two sets of images, so in the weather.skin and the detail skins, I want the higher res photo-looking pics, but on the main screen, I want the smaller sized flat images, but also be able to change their color (why I wanted it to be a font.)


    Again, thanks!
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  3. #13
    MySQL Error
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,256
    here is how the define works

    /DEFINE <DEFINITION> <WHATTOREPLACE>

    The above allows for common definitions to be used along the current file (does not apply to include files, which can
    have their own definitions if desired. This should be used at the top before any occurrences of the definition, and can
    also be used from a INC,file. For instance:

    /DEFINE FONT1 "Arial:B" (or could also be: INC,mydefs.txt -- which should contain this line inside it)

    Lxx,xxx,...,#FONT1#,...




    what i do is INC the color def in inside the bottom.txt INC

    example

    here is my top.txt file

    Code:
    INC,COLOR.txt
    L01,225,29,160,24,#COLOR#,24,"Ericsson GA628","TIME","LEFT"
    and its the same INC,COLOR.txt as i would put at top of my say menu.skin



    hope that helps
    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

    "Did you test it in carwings??"

    Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

  4. #14
    One Sharp Cheddar ThunderStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    1,657
    I hate to say it, but with the lack of noobs in the forums and with a lot of veteran forum members leaving due to loss of interest. The end seams as though it keeps on closing in on the carpc hobby.
    With as many smart phones as there are and other mobile computing options (including all the OEM stuff coming from Auto MFG's) a lot more people see the carpc as a redundant quest to find away to build something from scratch that can be bought off the shelf. I hate to say it, but this is what the beginning of the end looks like. Development slowdown + loss of new interested users = smaller markets.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

  5. #15
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    I hate to say it, but with the lack of noobs in the forums and with a lot of veteran forum members leaving due to loss of interest. The end seams as though it keeps on closing in on the carpc hobby.
    With as many smart phones as there are and other mobile computing options (including all the OEM stuff coming from Auto MFG's) a lot more people see the carpc as a redundant quest to find away to build something from scratch that can be bought off the shelf. I hate to say it, but this is what the beginning of the end looks like. Development slowdown + loss of new interested users = smaller markets.
    That's what I was afraid of... It seems as if the whole forum is slowing down, I think a lot of people are satisfied with the available options and would rather just buy a system than build it. I'm not one of those people, I like customizing and building things to suit what I need. And save a couple bucks here or there by doing the work myself. I don't like anything out now, there's always something that I would change, so rather than waste the money on something pre-made, I can pick and choose the components that I want.

    I've seen other hobbies start to head that direction; starts out with a few guys building something from scratch because what they want isn't commercially available, then a few more guys see and start to try it, then someone gets the idea to commercialize the thing, and people who don't want to or can't build it themselves buy the premade stuff, prices on those drop and less and less people build their own stuff.

    As long as I can still get certain components for me to be able to do it, then I'll be ok if the hobby declines. It would be sad to see that, but there's only so much each of us can do.
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  6. #16
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by guino View Post
    Regarding weather, we could probably add a "weatherpathoverride" setting or something like that to allow the skin to change the default weather path with one provided by the skin itself (That way you could just set a variable and be done with it). This should be a relatively simple change to do on the weather plugin.
    I found I can use the "RRStrings_FileFromPath" command or even the "RRStrings_StrRepl" command to create a new indicator filepath, then either using IMG or a custom indicator, I can display the images.

    This is just to display the image in the color it comes in. Still trying to figure out what I want to do to get changing colors...

    One issue I am having though is being able to switch an IMG or indicator based on a variable,

    Example:
    Code:
    B101,0,0,123,64,"SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;1"
    
    IMG,128,267,40,40,"BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;$skinpath$img1.png<<$skinpath$img2.png<<$skinpath$img3.png"
    IMG,168,267,40,40,"$skinpath$img0.png"
    In the above example, the "img0.png" will show, but "img2.png" will not show even though the variable songchoice should be specifying that file.

    Is there a different way to show an image based on a setvar? or am I doing something wrong?
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  7. #17
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    More questions after searching all the old threads:

    I know time was discussed in a few threads about 24HR and 12HR formats with HH:MM vs HH:MM AM/PM, but I don't like how it puts a 0 in front of any time where the hour is less than 10. How can I get rid of the leading zero?
    Also, how can I get AM/PM format without having AM/PM as part of the label? (I could use RRSTRINGS_STRREPL, but it doesn't work that well...) I don't want to just make the label area too small because I want the label centered, rather than left justified.



    When you add a "scroll..." command to a label, it kills the font color variable. Example:

    Code:
    L902,123,381,555,34,#FRed#,#FGreen#,#FBlue#,24,"BankGothic Md BT","BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;TAGTITLE<<TAGARTIST<<TAGALBUM","CENTER"
    .
    vs.
    Code:
    L902,123,381,555,34,#FRed#,#FGreen#,#FBlue#,24,"BankGothic Md BT","BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;TAGTITLE<<TAGARTIST<<TAGALBUM","SCROLL-CENTER"
    .
    The first version shows the font correctly, but the second version makes the text disappear.



    Previous questions still unanswered:

    Max Value for weatherupdateinterval? (5 freezes RR)

    Press and Hold EXEC command for a label?
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

  8. #18
    RoadRunner Mastermind
    Auto Apps:loading...
    guino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,817
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
    I found I can use the "RRStrings_FileFromPath" command or even the "RRStrings_StrRepl" command to create a new indicator filepath, then either using IMG or a custom indicator, I can display the images.

    This is just to display the image in the color it comes in. Still trying to figure out what I want to do to get changing colors...

    One issue I am having though is being able to switch an IMG or indicator based on a variable,

    Example:
    Code:
    B101,0,0,123,64,"SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;1"
    
    IMG,128,267,40,40,"BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;$skinpath$img1.png<<$skinpath$img2.png<<$skinpath$img3.png"
    IMG,168,267,40,40,"$skinpath$img0.png"
    In the above example, the "img0.png" will show, but "img2.png" will not show even though the variable songchoice should be specifying that file.

    Is there a different way to show an image based on a setvar? or am I doing something wrong?
    IMG is a definition for loading an image when the screen is LOADED -- it will not change once you change the variable and the screen is already loaded. This is a good way to prepare the skin based on settings that will not change until the skin is reloaded (better for performance).

    If you want to be able to set a variable and change the image on screen, you need an INDICATOR -- which will be monitored and changed whenever you need. The simplest example would be:


    I,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,"FILE:img$SONGCHOICE$.png"

    That way if you use "SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;1" it will show img1.png .. and if you use "SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;2" it will show img2.png (and will update dinamically without reloading the skin or screen).
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

  9. #19
    RoadRunner Mastermind
    Auto Apps:loading...
    guino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,817
    For the time format, you can use "h:mm" to get rid of the 0 in front of the hour (when it's less than 10). I don't think there's a way to remove tha AM/PM part directly.

    When you say the scroll one makes it disappear -- does it ever show ? not even moving from one screen to another and/or switching it back to the text that shows (if ever at all).
    Ride Runner RR's Myspace

    "Being happy is not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you have."
    "The best things in life are always free - but that doesn't mean money can't buy you good things."

  10. #20
    Wants to make it harder monkeyracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lakehood, CO
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by guino View Post
    IMG is a definition for loading an image when the screen is LOADED -- it will not change once you change the variable and the screen is already loaded. This is a good way to prepare the skin based on settings that will not change until the skin is reloaded (better for performance).

    If you want to be able to set a variable and change the image on screen, you need an INDICATOR -- which will be monitored and changed whenever you need. The simplest example would be:


    I,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,"FILE:img$SONGCHOICE$.png"

    That way if you use "SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;1" it will show img1.png .. and if you use "SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;2" it will show img2.png (and will update dinamically without reloading the skin or screen).
    I've got this executed onskinstart:

    Code:
    "ONSKINSTART","SETVARBYIND;wiconpath;wicon||SETVARBYIND;w0dayiconpath;w0dayicon||SETVARBYIND;w0nighticonpath;w0nighticon||RRStrings_StrRepl;wiconpath;Weather;WeatherAlt;wiconnew||RRStrings_StrRepl;w0dayiconpath;Weather;WeatherAlt;w0dayiconnew||RRStrings_StrRepl;w0nighticonpath;Weather;WeatherAlt;w0nighticonnew||RRStrings_StrRepl;wiconnew;.gif;.png;wicon0||RRStrings_StrRepl;w0dayiconnew;.gif;.png;wicon1||RRStrings_StrRepl;w0nighticonnew;.gif;.png;wicon2"
    .
    So I end up with three variables; $wicon0$, $wicon1$, $wicon2$

    How do I add the $SONGCHOICE$ variable inside the above variable so that it switches with the songchoice variable?

    $wicon$SONGCHOICE$$ doesn't work...

    I tried:

    Code:
    BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon0$<<SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon1$<<SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon2$
    .
    But indicators can't have a BYVAR command, so that didn't work, so I tried:

    Code:
    "TIMER","BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;1<<SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;2<<SETVAR;SONGCHOICE;0||BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon0$<<SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon1$<<SETVAR;WEATHERICON;file;$wicon2$"
    .
    This timer is set to change the label code below every 5 seconds to cycle through the Artist, Track Title and Album, and I want it to also cycle the weather info as well. I've got the labels working, and this method does show the icon, but it changes about 1 second before the labels change. Also, the indicator shows transparency to the empty layer rather than the visible layer, so I have to mess with my empty layer to make sure it's not displayed wrong... (see screenshot)

    Quote Originally Posted by guino View Post
    For the time format, you can use "h:mm" to get rid of the 0 in front of the hour (when it's less than 10). I don't think there's a way to remove tha AM/PM part directly.
    So no way to get 12hr time without having the am or pm? dang... and StrRepl didn't work...

    Quote Originally Posted by guino View Post
    When you say the scroll one makes it disappear -- does it ever show ? not even moving from one screen to another and/or switching it back to the text that shows (if ever at all).
    Here's some screenshots to explain it better:

    When I have this code:
    Code:
    L902,123,381,555,34,#FRed#,#FGreen#,#FBlue#,24,"BankGothic Md BT","BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;TAGTITLE<<TAGARTIST<<TAGALBUM","CENTER"
    .
    It shows like this:



    But, when I have this code:
    Code:
    L902,123,381,555,34,#FRed#,#FGreen#,#FBlue#,24,"BankGothic Md BT","BYVAR;SONGCHOICE;TAGTITLE<<TAGARTIST<<TAGALBUM","SCROLL-CENTER"
    .
    It does this:



    The only thing different is the "Scroll-Center". It shows the shadow label (which is the same thing, but color defined as 0,0,0 rather than referencing variables) but doesn't show the variable color text.
    Also notice on the icon next to the weather what I was talking about with the transparency. The same thing happened to the gas icon, but I made that button so that the empty layer has the button image. I'd prefer to not do that but if I have to that's fine...


    Also notice what I was talking about with the time code... H:MM AM/PM worked, but I don't want it to display AM/PM (I think I can figure out if it's AM or PM without the computer...)
    2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser TE
    Car PC Progress:
    Planning.......[---------X-] 95%
    Parts...........[---------X-] 90%
    Fabrication...[---------X-] 90%
    RR Skin........[---------X-] 95%
    View my
    Worklog
    Road Runner Skins
    Website
    Favorite thread EVER!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. XC90 Radio Replacement procedure
    By gage in forum VaultWiki
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
  2. Speaker placement questions.
    By HiJackZX1 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 11:37 PM
  3. A few questions
    By DrSpliff in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
  4. Newbie Questions for a 2nd Time!
    By Sound of Silenc in forum Newbie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •