That does not sound normal, sounds like maybe a bad HD?
Does anyone have issues when resuming from hibernation? Resume failure, corrupt data, not getting back into Windows, that sort of thing? I'm going to gather more data tomorrow and post, but thought I'd throw it out there now.
It seems to happen around 30% of the time, and even on a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 with Ride Runner.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
If you have a shutdown controller it may not be providing enough "time" for windows to hibernate completely. You could also be having some issue with drivers causing hibernation to freeze, etc (less common). Hibernation in win7 can't be stopped (as in XP) but that doesn't mean it can't take awhile longer for windows to hibernate based on whatever is going on.
Right, I have some more info now. Thanks for your responses already.
PhilG: Oh man, I hope it isn't a bad HD. Coincidentally, the first HDD (OCZ SSD) I put in there failed and am waiting on a replacement. Currently using an old laptop HDD. Both of these drives had the same hibernation issues, so would that rule it out?
Guino: I'm using an M3-ATX power supply but it isn't installed in the car yet, so I've got the jumper setting on normal PSU mode - so it shouldn't be cutting the power too early. Maybe drivers are causing the issue, but how do I diagnose?
I am really struggling to workout how to diagnose the issue further. Any suggestions would be very very appreciated - if I install the CarPC like this my girlfriend will go nuts
PSU: M3-ATX (not installed in car yet so runninng in standard mode)
HDD: Tried 2 different HDDs, still has same issue
OS: Win 7 Pro SP1
- When I shutdown, the screen goes blank, so I can't confirm that the hibernation is completing successfully or not.
- I'll boot from hibernation and 4 times out of 5 it resumes fine.
- When it fails, it shows a screen briefly which I didn't quite get a photo of in time.
- Then it goes to a screen saying a fatal error occurred (screenshot 1). At this point my keyboard (USB) won't work, so I have to reboot the computer.
- It will then show a screen asking if I want to continue or delete restoration data (screenshot 2).
- Interestingly, when I choose "Continue with system resume" it loads windows fine (RR even continues playing music where it left off!). I cycled into hibernation another 3 times and came back fine each time (but the mp3 tags (title, artist, etc) are all missing in RR - (screenshot 3)).
The fact that it works after failing the 1st time around makes me thing there's some random issue going on with hard drive access. Since you had the same problem with a different hard drive I would rule that out leaving just the power cable, data cable and motherboard/controller. I have personally had issues with bad quality SATA cables in the past where it would cause the drive to fail every now and then - sometimes during boot sometimes just using the machine with nothing specific. Keep in mind this happened despite of verifying the cable was well plugged in in both ends and it appeared to work even when trying to make it fail by jerking the cable around.
Regarding the tags, do the tags work normally when the hibernate/resume works normally (without having to select 'continue with system resume' )?
Thanks again for your help with this. I have finally narrowed down the issue. It turns out it was due to a bad driver for the VIA USB 3 controller chip on the motherboard (I had to disable the driver completely...). I'll edit this post and add the exact specs for anyone else who might run into this now or in the future.