OK, here is a quick run down of what is happening.
I just upgraded my motherboard and processor from an Epia M10000 to a Commell LV670 and a Celeron 2.4
I use an XM direct box with a cable I made myself from an Apple serial printer cable. It was installed on the Epia board for 4 months without any problems.
The com port (it only has 1) on the Commell board and the XM unit did not get along well at all. If the XM was plugged in Roadrunner would not start but hang and lock up the computer. If I started Roadrunner with it disconnected and I got the choppy output that some people complain about when they have a com port selected and no XM unit plugged in, and then I plugged the XM in and restart Roadrunner the XM would work. If i did a restart the XM would work fine. If I shut down on the next restart Roadrunner would hang and prevent booting. I would have to boot into safe mode and remove roadrunner from start up folder and restart.
I disabled the com port on the MB and installed a USB to serial adapter and the XM will work every time I start the PC now as long as Roadrunner is not in the Startup folder. I have to manually start the program everytime I start the computer. The difference is now I can ctrl-alt-del and end task if it is in the start up folder. It says roadrunner is not responding. It quits the program and I can immediately double click the same shortcut and roadrunner starts fine.
I was toying with the idea of trying a delay on the start up of Roadrunner but it is a workaround and not a fix, so I was hoping someone had an idea of what is needed to fix it.